Can I time travel in MSFS2020?

cc1.jpg

cc2.jpg

cc3.jpg

I look forward to the new sim, and hopefully having(eventually) a PC to run it, which also means I will be able to run X-Plane, which I can't do now. I can barely run FSX on my old reliable. But that being said, FS9 won't be going away, for me anyway, anytime soon.

I don't know if there will ever be an opportunity with the newer sims to accomplish the above, but a big thank you to all those folks in this community(like 9Dragons, CalClassic, Manfred Jahns, Milton Shupe,etc.) who have made it possible for the nostalgic person like me to be John Wayne from the High and Mighty, fly The Hump in a C47, or drop off some military advisors in Saigon(no idea what they are up to).

No, unfortunately I don't think so. :(

Keep what you have as well!!I recently read someone saying they were sad to delete their old sims so they could have room on their hard drive for 2020! Buy I new hard drive, for the older stuff a mechanical is plenty. Or better yet, keep your old stuff on the old hard drive I'd guess you're now using. Then add a SSHD to the newer. You'll almost surely want it for the best results anyway! ;)

For decades I kept an old TR-3 in my garage. Even then it wasn't practical as anything but a toy. But some days we all need to plan with an older toy!! FS9 and FSX, may not be considered current, but they still can be enjoyed from time to time!!

Michael

Edited by Rupert
Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

No, unfortunately I don't think so. :(

All versions of the sim will come with the SDK, so it likely will be possible. It will probably be a question of interest on the part of a developer, whether freeware or commercial.

Additionally, every copy of the game will ship with a fully fledged SDK that comes in three major parts: aircraft, scenery, and a node-based mission editor. Neumann described each part as "pretty much the tool we use," though we've yet to see how users might manually edit cockpits, navigation systems, or landscapes.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2020/07/ms-flight-simulator-our-yoke-on-look-at-new-features-gorgeous-flights/

Yes, but how many FSX simmers are going to want to re-learn how to create freeware for FS2020? Just looking at the library's numbers here (from 1-1-19 thru 7-30-20) there are only 163 addons for P3D posted verses 2453 new items for FSX. From that stat not many at all have jumped to P3D.

And none of the FSX stuff is going to work in FS2020 (as I understand). At least with P3D up to version 3, you can use just about all of the FSX addons. I can't see giving up so much freeware for 30 to 40 custom built spots in the MS2020 world. You have a lot more than that with FSX and besides you can even use FSEarth Tile and create the perfect photo real world yourself and it doesn't get or look more real than that. I haven't heard that FSEarth will work with MS2020 as of yet either.

I too keep FS2004 on my PC with the Classic airports and planes.

Yes, but how many FSX simmers are going to want to re-learn how to create freeware for FS2020? Just looking at the library's numbers here (from 1-1-19 thru 7-30-20) there are only 163 addons for P3D posted verses 2453 new items for FSX. From that stat not many at all have jumped to P3D.

And none of the FSX stuff is going to work in FS2020 (as I understand). At least with P3D up to version 3, you can use just about all of the FSX addons. I can't see giving up so much freeware for 30 to 40 custom built spots in the MS2020 world. You have a lot more than that with FSX and besides you can even use FSEarth Tile and create the perfect photo real world yourself and it doesn't get or look more real than that. I haven't heard that FSEarth will work with MS2020 as of yet either.

I too keep FS2004 on my PC with the Classic airports and planes.

True, much of the freeware available for FSX and prior very likely won't work, and it would take time to reach the same selection of add-ons. However, as MSFS is aimed at the same wide flight audience as FSX was, I suspect it will gain far more traction than P3D did, and thus more interest from developers.

As for FSEarth Tile, I don't see much need for it as MSFS will include satellite and aerial imagery out of the box. It will also include photogrammetry for many areas, with more being added as their source data in Bing is updated. Although the SDK does include support for scenery add-ons, someone may find a way to make it work.

• 8 months later...

Ok first off, FS2020 is a whole new thing. What worked before, is now different.

FS2004 benefited greatly by having minimal changes from how earlier FS had their planes be designed... probably 30% of my freeware hangar was actually aircraft made for FS2002. And perhaps 5% of them were made for FS2000. Similarly, FSX had a lot of content that was basically FS2004 and 2002 aircraft with some updates.

But now it's different, and it's very early days. Not even a year in. And the SDK isn't even close to being totally finished yet, AFAIK it's still being written.

I look forward to vintage aircraft and vintage airfields... Kai Tak screenshots bring me hope! But keep your old sims until you can at least do the same in the new one, and that's still a long ways off IMO.

You know, one thing I wonder about: if you could make scenery appear to a different file, before a certain date? Meaning, Hong Kong in 1977 won't look exactly like it does in 2021... the terrain is likely the same, but there would be less buildings, more areas on hillsides that are green and trees that today are giant appartment buildings. MAybe there's a way to trigger vintage scenery for older historic flights? Like when giant airports of today were once a grass strip and a tin shack, maybe a fuel truck?

There are indeed a modest number of aircraft for FSX that have been converted for FS2020, for instance the Grumman Goose and DC-3 Dakota. Take a look at my thread about vintage aircraft that are confirmed for FS2020... research I did yesterday gives me hope for the future of this sim.:

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?329950-what-vintage-classic-aircraft-are-planned-for-FS2020/page2

Edited by Herc79

Herc79,

RW airfields like the rest of the world are always evolving. So regardless of the sim, however we try to correctly sim a certain time frame, there's a fair chance we'll not totally get it right. So, other than perhaps being as correct with logos or insignia as I can, I try not to obsess over it.

My easiest to provide example is that on a regular basis runway orientation designation is changing. The runways aren't physically moving or being moved. But the magnetic fields compasses utilize constantly are. So an airport which used to be published with a 17-35 runway setup might now be shown as 18-36.

Michael

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.