Thread: Article: Neil's Great Scottish Tour For X-Plane 11 Vol. 3

Blog Entries

Default Article: Neil's Great Scottish Tour For X-Plane 11 Vol. 3

2. Default

Great stuff Nels. I'm keeping this for tomorrow morning. I just hope the weather is good as i dont want to get wet flying the DC-3 (heavy rain outside = light rain inside)

3. Default

Great fun Nels !! I took a few approaches but diagonally on a southerly heading, over the hedge at 75 Kts, full flap and whooooooooah old girl ! Took a screenie but I cant attach it. Love the dust effects.

4. Default

On a much more tragic note Arran is the resting place of no less than 7 aircraft wrecks, three of which are within just a few yards of each other at the top of Beinn Nuis.

Perhaps the saddest of all was the fate of "Skipper and the Kids" a B-17G s/n 42-97286 of the 388th BG, 561th Bomber Squadron. Allegedly they were short of Whisky in the mess for Christmas celebrations and on the 10th of December 1944 "Skipper and the Kids" took off from Kenittishall for Prestwick. On board were 11 members of the squadron, some of which just went along for the ride to see a little piece of Scotland.

Probably due to Scottish winter weather and heavy cloud, the aircraft commander may have decided to descend over the sea to the west of Prestwick. The aircraft hit the granite cliffs of Beinn Nuis killing all on board. The wreck not being found until Mar 3, 1945. A friend told me that the .50 calibre machine guns are still stuck into the cliff above where the wreck fell, engines and other parts are below.

RIP
    Pilot, Captain John Littlejohn, aged 22, from Savannah, GA;
    Passenger, “Jimmy” Brown, aged 24, from Rhinelander, WI;
    Pilot, 2nd Lt Jack Merkley, aged 24, from Blackfoot, ID;
    Co-pilot, 2nd Lt Bobby Stoaks, aged 18, from Hollywood, CA;
    Navigator, 2nd Lt William Frey, aged 23, from Oak Hill IL;
    Bombardier, 2nd Lt Leonard Bond, aged 23, from St Johns, MI;
    Radio Operator, Cpl Albert Thomas, aged 28, from Findlay, OH;
    Passenger, Major “Doc” Bell, aged 39, from Cannonsburg, PA;
    Navigator, 1st Lt. Rosebasky, aged 23, from Great Falls, MT;
    Engineer, Cpl. Joe Payne, aged 20, from Monroe, MI;
    Radio Operator, S/Sgt. Wade Kriner, aged 20, from Du Bois, PA.
    Last edited by AlyMac; 08-02-2020 at 06:30 AM. Reason: mistakes

5. Default

of couurse I stand corrected here. This was posted by Nels Andreson, the original from Neil Birch