Scenery/airports (default)

We have been told a SDK is coming

My way of thinking is that if the SDK is released there should be scope for 3rd party aircraft and/or scenery. What other reason would there be? Especially for aircraft as there are heaps of aircraft not 'modelled' in the 'package' eg the B738.

John

Gigabyte Z390 UD Intel Core i7-9700K 3.60 Ghz Dual 16Gb DDR4 2666

Gigabyte RTX2060 OC 6GB 2 X 256MB SSD drives 1 X 500GB HDD

Windows 10 64bit Home Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick

Have a look at the very negative remarks left on the YouTube video

. Not only Sydney landmarks are not depicted well but also Melbourne landmarks where as looking at London and other world cities they seem to be depicted MUCH better.

Maybe Microsoft considered that the Australian market would be much less than North America and Europe and so wanted to please those customers more.

John

Maybe I have a misunderstanding. I realise that the 'other 37,000 airports will lack these features'. YES the scenery will be 3D and contain a lot more detail and no autogen. BUT yes the other 37,000 airports will lack the features of the enhanced airports. I used the example of Sydney buildings as an example of FSX enhanced airports as most if not all regional airports have little or no buildings (in FSX).

But if no autogen what will we 'see' flying over country BETWEEN airports? Surely the entire world has not been 'mapped' for vegetation etc. I would hate to think of the storage space required for files if it is. Australia (and USA as well) has a very diverse vegetation ranging from dense rainforest to desert with all 'ranges' in between ie the forested area doesn't change immediately to arid and then to desert and what about the area near where I live where the only Wollemi Pine trees in the world reaching 82–131 ft tall (one of the world's oldest and rarest plants dating back to the time of the dinosaurs) are located and have a distinctive colour and shape of both tree and foliage making it stand out from the surrounding vegetation - hard to explain what I mean.

I guess I will find out after 18 August.

As a matter of fact, most of the world HAS been mapped, vegetation included (perhaps not the precise species of trees depicted, but for heaven's sake let's be reasonable!). If you want to see what is between airports, there are dozens of videos that show incredibly detailed real-life scenery with roads, towns, and pretty much everything as it actually is. As for the 37,000 airports lacking the features of the handcrafted ones: we are talking here about stuff like baggage handlers loading luggage onto planes and so forth. For me, this is a nice touch but pretty far down on my list of priorities!

Are we maybe "letting the perfect be the enemy of the good", as the saying goes?

I did say "hard to explain what I mean".

What I was getting at (at the time) was a question of how areas of vegetation would be 'mapped' and would that have an effect of storage space. I have since learned how Microsoft uses Bing satellite maps (did I get that correct? gosh I hope so as I don't want to be berated) from the internet 'on the fly' (sorry no pun intended) to more closely display the vegetation which is fabulous thing. The Microsoft software engineers have come up with a great idea there.

If there are no "roos bounding about" then there will also be no bison, grizzly bears, salmon leaping out of the water either and what about Punxsutawney Phil coming out to tell us how much longer winter will last either. Oh No!

John

I did say "hard to explain what I mean".

What I was getting at (at the time) was a question of how areas of vegetation would be 'mapped' and would that have an effect of storage space. I have since learned how Microsoft uses Bing satellite maps (did I get that correct? gosh I hope so as I don't want to be berated) from the internet 'on the fly' (sorry no pun intended) to more closely display the vegetation which is fabulous thing. The Microsoft software engineers have come up with a great idea there.

If there are no "roos bounding about" then there will also be no bison, grizzly bears, salmon leaping out of the water either and what about Punxsutawney Phil coming out to tell us how much longer winter will last either. Oh No!

Lol love it my friend.. enjoy the launch. This is a long term deal.

I9-10900kf, gtx3090, 32gb ddr 4 3200mhz, 2TB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD

internet - 300+ mbs / Honycomb Alpha yoke, Alienware monitor 34 inch @ 3440 x 1440

Everyone is missing the fine print! All airports will be included from all over the world. There will be specific one (enhanced) that will have more detail then the rest.

I'm not!

37000 airports worldwide and at least (depends on which version) 30 airports with more detail.

And I just learned comes on 10 DVD disks (around 90GB+ installed).

John

I don’t know if it’ll be available on the 10 discs in Australia. As far as I know, it’ll only be available this way in Europe (for the time being anyway)

Getting the discs has its disadvantages too... you will still need to download content anyway, and to run the sim you must keep one of the discs in your dvd drive for it to run.

If you’ve got a good internet connection I think the best option (& possibly only option) is to buy and download it online.

Regards

Steve

Edited by g7rta

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Pico 4  VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit

Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles

Thanks for the tip. I hate having to have a disk in my drive for software to work.

No problems for me downloading with 44Mbps.

Is the download version the steam version? I have been aware of it since FSX but apart from knowing it provides automatic updates I don't know how it works.

John

You can either download it from Steam, or directly from the Microsoft Store.

Like others on this forum, I have gone with Microsoft. I’m not a huge fan of Steam myself, but I have used them occasionally.

If you buy it from Steam, it will mean having to have the Steam client running every time you want to launch flight sim.

Take a look at the main Microsoft flight sim site if you haven’t already

https://www.flightsimulator.com/

Regards

Steve

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Thanks Steve,

I wondered if the client would be running everytime you used software from Steam.

It's Microsoft for me.

John

John

I hate to 'harp' on this but I just cannot understand why Microsoft do not display Sydney Harbour Bridge at least close to what it really looks like AND also the 'landmark' CentrePoint Tower is NOT displayed.

Have a look at the following which shows the Opera House displayed almost exactly what it look like AND even the Andrew (Boy) Charlton (swimming) pool is shown.

What is so hard about the bridge and tower?

2020 harbour.jpg

2020 opera house.jpg

John

Give 'em a chance mate, Sydney wasn't built in a day! The harbour bridge is a pretty complex structure with a lot of fine detail, it's probably still a work in progress and will be added in a future update. I wouldn't be surprised to see moving traffic over it day and night, and maybe the New Year fireworks display too... Edited by tiger1962

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

We haven’t even seen the release version yet, so you never know.. there’s always a chance it’ll be included on 18th

I wonder if North Bridge (Halifax) will be included? :)

Regards

Steve

Edited by g7rta

I wonder if North Bridge (Halifax) will be included? :)

That's a racing certainty - it's in Yorkshire, after all! :p I'll be happy if Scammonden Bridge over the M62 is there, I had it as a freeware addon for FS9 and can't find the download now...

Edited by tiger1962

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

I hate to 'harp' on this but I just cannot understand why Microsoft do not display Sydney Harbour Bridge at least close to what it really looks like AND also the 'landmark' CentrePoint Tower is NOT displayed.

Have a look at the following which shows the Opera House displayed almost exactly what it look like AND even the Andrew (Boy) Charlton (swimming) pool is shown.

What is so hard about the bridge and tower?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]220648[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]220649[/ATTACH]

JPArnold,

We're all still in wait and see mode!

Having said that, I assume you are aware of ORBX. They're a very popular scenery vendor and are based in Australia. Considering their location and the fact that they are one of the mentioned addons soon to available, I can't imagine you'd have a problem buying at least their software if you're looking for sheer perfection!

Just out of curiosity I "flew" to Sydney today with P3D and ORBX. Especially since this is winter, I think it looks pretty good. I'd think, based on what we've already seen, that the new software would be what you are happy with.

BTW: Even "old and out of date" P3D also shows the New Years Fireworks as well. Also remember my renderings are just that, not fancy edited and enhanced views such as you're seeing the the come-ons you show! Mine are also very limited in size at the limit per shot! It looks ten or more times better on my monitor!

Michael

1.jpg

2.jpg

Edited by Rupert
Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

I know

Sydney wasn't built in a day!
but what I am getting at is that all other cities landmarks appear to be there eg London's Millenium Dome, London's Shard, London Bridge (quite complex), Paris' Eiffel tower (complex), New York's Statue of Liberty and Brooklyn bridge (also quite complex) and San Francisco's Golden Gate bridge (quite complex). I could go on and on.

Where would any of those cities be without those landmarks? The same as Sydney is without the Harbour bridge (the "coat hanger").

How would any of you like it if landmarks in your city was not depicted correctly?

Oh yes there is ORBX who might come to the rescue but at a an extra cost. Maybe Microsoft is 'in bed' with them.

I do hope that Microsoft read Australian's comments and complaints about this and make a future release/upgrade.

Edited by jparnold
typo

John