BIKF Crosswind Runways

Honus

At BIKF, I have set up crosswind runways and want to block rwy 11/29 for landing and use for take off only. Want rwys 2/20 for landings only. The crosswinds are set up correctly with proper measurement and ATC recognizes all runways in use. What I can't stop is landings on 11/29. With 257@8, 29 is still used. I've set up 11/29 to allow only takeoffs and 2/20 for landing only. This process works at many airports but doesn't seem to work here. I've done nothing with the approach mode so am I supposed to change things in the 'approach mode' in the airport scenery editor? If so, which ones? I try to leave the screen alone. Thanks for any input.

I don't think you can use the star pattern or what ever it's called ( I have yet to learn this) to stop landings or takeoffs on runways. It may work, but I don't think so. By far the easiest methoud should be to simply double click the runway and in the dialog box you can chose to close or open runways for takeoff/landing. I can tell you to absolutely close off a runway for takeoff you remove the start nodes. Not sure if that has a factor on landings or not.

Are you using ADE?

Yes, I'm using ADE. I found that in order to block runways for landings or takeoffs you must add crosswind rwys, UNLESS the runways in question are parallel to each other. It does get a little complicated.

Well, I gave one sure fire way to do it, whether the runway options give to close off the runway for takeoff or landing do what they say they do is another matter. And to make sure no planes takeoff from a runway, removing the start nodes will in fact stop that. But as I stated, not sure if that would affect landings or not.

Yeah, I seem to remember many years ago about reading how to do the star pattern thing with runways placed in the arctic that can make traffic not use certain runways. But since it seems pretty complicated to use let alone doing it right to make AI use or not use runways, it may be too hard to accomplish versus just trying the runway properties option.

The 'crosswind' procedure in ADE is quite easy. I simply list my runways in ascending order, then you add 'fake' runways at no more than 7.9 degrees from the one prior. In BIKF, thus: Start with runway 2. Say it's at a heading of 1.0 degrees. Add fake runway 3L heading 8.9, runway 3R at heading 16.8, etc until you reach a number that will get within 7.9 degrees of runway 20. Make sure they are in order and the headings are in order, none being more than 7.9 degrees from the one prior. You will have a long list of fake runways in your runway list, most of them showing made of 'ice'. In complicated airports with several runways going in different directions, like KORD or EHAM, same procedure. List the runways in order, then just keep adding 7.9 degrees. Start the procedure with each different runway ( 6/24, 9/27, 18/36 etc). Parallel runways which lie within 7.9 of each other don't need crosswinds inserted. Hope this helps.

That explains it better, but I'm wondering what would come after 3R since the next number is 24.7? It doesn't make sense to me to make it 4L.

Also, when you are creating fake runways, you start with left and right, but do you use center for the runways?

Edited by CRJ_simpilot

That explains it better, but I'm wondering what would come after 3R since the next number is 24.7? It doesn't make sense to me to make it 4L.

Also, when you are creating fake runways, you start with left and right, but do you use center for the runways?

Example: Real runway is 3/21

Next real runway is 6/24

Fake runways Thus: 4L, 4R, 4C, 5L, 5R, 5C (just remember that 7.9 degrees is the magic number. Do not exceed it or or stop before you are within that parameter.

List your runways top to bottom in ascending order, then just insert the fake rwys in between in proper order. I'll help further if you need.

That makes more sense I guess. So in your initial example, 24.7 would be 3C.

Thanks for the offer, but I don't create or edit airports that often and if I do it's not often I need to try and use the star method. I think I understand that procedure now and just remembering that magic number of 7.9 is simple enough. Maybe one day I'll try my hand at this with a default airport that could use this.