Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Am I Smart to Buy This Hardware For MSFS 2020?

Even though I am sure the 3700X is cheaper, the new simulator seems to favor Intel at the latest tests. Maybe an I7-10700K instead?

Thanks again, to all of you responding to my request for help in choosing the best hardware, considering my budget, to get the best I can out of MSFS 2020. Since my original post, I have upgraded my hardware list by substituting the

---EVGA GeForce RTX 2060 KO GAMING Video Card, 06G-P4-2066-KR, 6GB GDDR6, Dual Fans, Metal Backplate

for the GTX 1060. Also, I asked my tech to look for the best price for 32 MB of RAM, at a compatible speed with the Asus ROG B550-F Motherboard. He will buy the appropriate Win 10 version and anything else we need (MS recommendations) to complete the updating of my Antec box from FSX.

We agreed a new hard drive was required (is 3 TB enough?...or, larger?). Hard to know in advance, exactly how much is advisable...

Please offer any additional comments, advice, or suggestions...And, thanks in advance for any help...

Lee Graves

Quote Originally Posted by leegra View Post
    Thanks again, to all of you responding to my request for help in choosing the best hardware, considering my budget, to get the best I can out of MSFS 2020. Since my original post, I have upgraded my hardware list by substituting the

---EVGA GeForce RTX 2060 KO GAMING Video Card, 06G-P4-2066-KR, 6GB GDDR6, Dual Fans, Metal Backplate

for the GTX 1060. Also, I asked my tech to look for the best price for 32 MB of RAM, at a compatible speed with the Asus ROG B550-F Motherboard. He will buy the appropriate Win 10 version and anything else we need (MS recommendations) to complete the updating of my Antec box from FSX.

We agreed a new hard drive was required (is 3 TB enough?...or, larger?). Hard to know in advance, exactly how much is advisable...

Please offer any additional comments, advice, or suggestions...And, thanks in advance for any help...

Lee Graves
    Do not buy a Hard Drive. Buy a SSD instead. 1 TB is more than enough.

SSD's are far faster and FS 2020 will be downloading and writing to your drive as you fly. A normal hard drive might become a bottleneck and reduce your flight sim performance.

You can buy a decent quality 1 TB SSD for about £100.

Thanks for the tip on SSDs. I scouted around and most reviewers seemed to favor the Addlink S70 1TB SSD. Are they correct?...

My tech thinks I should consider a 2 TB SSD. to handle ALL Drive C programs. Any 2 TB recommendations? I probably can't afford the best, but perhaps one closer to the top would be okay for me...Are the 2 TBs anywhere near the 1 TBs in speed? Considering MSFS is the focus here, would it be wiser to stick with a faster 1 TB?...Thanks for any help...

Lee Graves

To be honest not familiar with the Addlink brand.

Samsung EVO are without doubt the best performing SSD out there at the moment but they come with a hefty price.
    I personally put a 250 GB Samsung EVO Plus in my build as a boot drive reserved for windows only and then added a Sabrent Rocket 1 TB SSD to install my other software. 1 TB should be more than enough storage unless you are going to be installing absolutely loads of games.

Sabrent is my personal SSD of choice, recognised as top quality, great prices, and great performance too.

Personally I usually go with the reviews on Partpicker

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/

All the reviews there are by ordinary customers who have actually bought and used these parts and are not being sponsored or making any money out of persuading you to buy a particular brand. If a part gets 4 or 5 stars you know you are buying a quality part.

It is also a great website for finding deals.
    You simply go to create your custom PC select the parts you are looking for and it will give you best available prices for what you want. If you want to change which country it searches simply change the flag on the right in the options at top of the page.

Something to be aware of. If your system board allows installation of a NVME SSD then use one of them.
    Far faster than a normal SSD that would connect to a normal SATA connections at not much more cost.
    Last edited by efanton; 08-04-2020 at 04:14 PM.

You could also consider something like this if your MB supports it.
    Western Digital WD BLACK SN750 NVMe M.2 ~#150 for 1TB probably cheaper if you search.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by leegra View Post
    I am about to re-build my FSX computer (or, have my tech do it), and I have spent some time researching what's out there and what might be best for me, considering my limited resources. The following is a list of hardware I am prepared to buy, but I would very much appreciate any constructive criticism about the wisdom of these purchases. Thanks in advance for your comments.

--- AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core, 12-Thread Unlocked Desktop Processor with Wraith Stealth Cooler
    ---ASUS ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING AM4 AMD B550 SATA 6Gb/s ATX AMD Motherboard
    ---MSI GeForce GTX 1660 DirectX 12 GTX 1660 GAMING X 6G 6GB 192-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card
    --- ASUS TUF Gaming VG27VQ 27” Curved Monitor, 1080P Full HD, 165Hz (Supports 144Hz), Freesync, 1ms, Extreme Low Motion Blur, Eye Care, DisplayPort HDMI,Black

Lee Graves
    I would go with nvidea over amd for a flight sim.

8. Default

I can vouch for WD SN750 performance. This was loading time for FSX, clicking the sim icon to aircraft idling on runway...

With WD VelociRaptor 10K RPM mechanical HDD's...

5 minutes, 17 seconds

With WD SN750 NVMe drives...

2 minutes, 42 seconds
    Gigabyte GA-X99 Gaming G1, i7-5960X, Noctua NH-D14, Crucial Ballistix Elite 64Gb, Nvidia GTX Titan X, Creative ZxR, Ableconn PEXM2-130, WD Black SN750 250Gb & 2Tb NVMe/Gold 10Tb HDD, Sony BDU-X10S BD-ROM, PC Power & Cooling 1200w, Cosmos C700M, Noctua iPPC 140mm x6, Logitech M570/K800, WinX64 7 Ultimate/10 Pro

IMHO the smart decision would be to buy zero hardware before they state what is needed Take a breath!! Smell the roses!! This isn't the sixth day of creation!!! There have been many "flight sims" before and there will hopefully be many more after!!

Michael
    Last edited by Rupert; 08-04-2020 at 07:48 PM.

They have done that.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MSFSreq.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	285.3 KB 
ID:	220655  

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast