Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Am I Smart to Buy This Hardware For MSFS 2020?

Default Am I Smart to Buy This Hardware For MSFS 2020?

I am about to re-build my FSX computer (or, have my tech do it), and I have spent some time researching what's out there and what might be best for me, considering my limited resources. The following is a list of hardware I am prepared to buy, but I would very much appreciate any constructive criticism about the wisdom of these purchases. Thanks in advance for your comments.

--- AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core, 12-Thread Unlocked Desktop Processor with Wraith Stealth Cooler
    ---ASUS ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING AM4 AMD B550 SATA 6Gb/s ATX AMD Motherboard
    ---MSI GeForce GTX 1660 DirectX 12 GTX 1660 GAMING X 6G 6GB 192-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card
    --- ASUS TUF Gaming VG27VQ 27” Curved Monitor, 1080P Full HD, 165Hz (Supports 144Hz), Freesync, 1ms, Extreme Low Motion Blur, Eye Care, DisplayPort HDMI,Black

Lee Graves

I think that video card might be a little weak for the monitor you show. I would think this might be a better choice.
    Asus PHOENIX RTX2060 GeForce
    especially with an Asus MB and Asus monitor.
    You didn't mention memory, but at least 16gb of ram would be needed on MB.

“at least 16gb of ram would be needed”

I’d go for 32Gb - it’s fairy cheap these days anyway

Regards
    Steve

If you're looking specifically at MSFS I wouldn't recommend doing anything right now. There are still many open questions about the actual in-game hardware needs. It's going to be several months before the air is clear enough to talk about definitive hardware specifications.
    Intel 4790K @ 4.7Ghz, MSI Z97 Gaming 7 motherboard, Noctua NH-U12S cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB 2133 MHz RAM, nVidia GTX 970 GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, and other good stuff.

A lot of that depends on the user's implementation and expectations. I assume the minimum specs won't satisfy many on this forum, probably most settings would end up looking like FS2004, with all the detail and new technology detuned. If you have a good internet connection, I would expect you could enjoy the sim, particularly since the original poster is going with a 1080P monitor, with the recommended specs, but I would expect these might not be desirable if you often fly in the big city airports and want to implement all the features discussed thus far. With a long expected life, they must be planning to update and add features with time. Will specs change over time, probably, but if you wait for a point of certainty to jump in, you may miss much of the fun. If the original poster does not have some of the minimum spec equipment, he could not run the program at all. While a GTX 560 might have run FSX acceptably, it won't run the new sim at all.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MSFSreq.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	285.3 KB 
ID:	220453  

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by plainsman View Post
    I think that video card might be a little weak for the monitor you show. I would think this might be a better choice.
    Asus PHOENIX RTX2060 GeForce
    especially with an Asus MB and Asus monitor.
    You didn't mention memory, but at least 16gb of ram would be needed on MB.
    I highly, highly doubt it. I have a lousy GTX1050TI and it powers a 27" 1080p curved Samsung.

Reason why I have a 1050TI is because back when I was in the market to buy a new GPU the damn bitcoin craze was going on and thus the price for GPUs was through the proverbial roof, let alone being able to snatch one up. So because of all the greed heads, I had to settle on a 1050TI to replace my old GTX560TI. Simply had to.
    My forum project. Click me
    OOM errors? Read this.
    Pick an Amazon wish list, help a child out
    From RLG, Fly heading 053, intercept 315 DVV, look for the orange glow of a SAM.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by leegra View Post
    I am about to re-build my FSX computer (or, have my tech do it), and I have spent some time researching what's out there and what might be best for me, considering my limited resources. The following is a list of hardware I am prepared to buy, but I would very much appreciate any constructive criticism about the wisdom of these purchases. Thanks in advance for your comments.

--- AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core, 12-Thread Unlocked Desktop Processor with Wraith Stealth Cooler
    ---ASUS ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING AM4 AMD B550 SATA 6Gb/s ATX AMD Motherboard
    ---MSI GeForce GTX 1660 DirectX 12 GTX 1660 GAMING X 6G 6GB 192-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card
    --- ASUS TUF Gaming VG27VQ 27” Curved Monitor, 1080P Full HD, 165Hz (Supports 144Hz), Freesync, 1ms, Extreme Low Motion Blur, Eye Care, DisplayPort HDMI,Black

Lee Graves
    I don't know what your budget is, but you might wanna consider the 3700x with two more cores and four more threads. https://www.newegg.com/amd-ryzen-7-3...-567-_-Product

You never know, the new Sim may be able to utilize it.

Also, when you pick RAM you should look at the motherboard manufacturer's QVL sheet available on their website for the motherboard so you make sure the RAM is compatible and won't give you grief down the line. I'm pretty sure a bunch of noobs who build their computer's go on ahead and just buy some Gskill RAM and not even look at the QVL sheet and wonder why the RAM or computer is acting up. Then they blame the motherboard manufacturer or RAM manufacturer by posting an asinine review. I can't tell you how many reviews I've seen that were nonsensical.

Yeah, it really is too early right now to make a definitive decision on what hardware you could use based on a budget versus what kind of performance you'll get.
    OOM errors? Read this.
    From RLG, Fly heading 053, intercept 315 DVV, look for the orange glow of a SAM.

I think there is a difference in just driving a 27" monitor, and the performance he will need to enjoy this program on a high refresh rate 27" monitor. Just to compare, the GTX1660 has a memory speed of 8GB/Sec, a bandwidth of 192GB/Sec, 1408 cores, and no hardware acceleration. The RTX2060 has a memory speed of 14GB/Sec, a bandwidth of 336GB/Sec, 1920 cores, and includes hardware acceleration. That is a big performance difference.

9. Default

Your post lead me to believe you were solely talking about driving the monitor, not the game, thus my post. Of course better cards will have better bandwidths, etc. However, I'm willing to bet the GPU the OP chose will work alright for "FS2020" anyway.
    OOM errors? Read this.

The important question is, what is your absolute maximum budget?

Personality I'd go for a 3700X, a 2070 video card and 32GB RAM. Throw in a B550 mobo, a cabinet, power supply and 1TB SSD and you're talking around €1400.

Not talking about the monitor. I doubt if you need a monitor that's capable of more than than 100Hz for this sim. Freesync may or may not not work with nVidia, to be certain find reviews about your monitor, or ask around.
    Last edited by Rudy_B; 08-03-2020 at 01:43 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast