Strange problem

hjwalter

Hi Guys,

I use an aircraft in the form of cross-hairs for accurately positioning all kinds of extra scenery objects via the "Y" SLEW function and the wonderful Abacus EZ object placement program. This has been functioning great for years and I've been able to enhance the scenery of many of my airports/airfields, especially my tropical ones, which now sometimes even begin to smell like the real tropics. LOL.

BUT

When in SLEW mode my cross-hair "aircraft" almost immediately begins rolling ever faster to the right along it's longitudinal axis, even when on the ground, while all further SLEW functions remain normal. This "roll" problem shows up not only on my third party airports/airfields but also on all the default ones, even with any (test) flyable aircraft, which initially stand on their wheels completely normally. None of my AI aircraft parked nearby are hanging above the ground or partially buried below it, which for me means that it's not any airport elevation or Afcad related problem.

Further observations are that when pressing the F3 or F4 key my rolling cross-hair "aircraft" ascends normally, stops ascending when pressing the F2 key and descends when pressing the F1 key ...... but ...... it then disappears underground, only to re-appear above ground normally again when the SLEW mode is terminated by re-pressing the "Y" key. However, the rolling motion then almost immediately begins again.

Another observation is that when the SLEW "Y" key is initially pressed and the cross-hair (or any other plane) is slewed, it's heading immediately changes by an unpredictable but fixed number of degrees and which is different in different parts of the world. The rolling motion then initiates almost immediately.

I've been busting my brains on this very strange problem because it happens all over the world, on default and on third party airports and even "out in the bush". In my mind it must therefore be something structural, possibly in the FS9.cfg file but I've (test) restored that file from different backups, some of which are very old but all to no avail.

Ideas anyone as to where I could begin searching for this bug.

Regards and thanks in advance for any reactions.

Hans

Hi Hans, maybe you have a controller plugged in which is causing these unwanted slew movements?

For example, if you only a use a joystick for flight sim, make sure your gamepad is not also connected while placing scenery.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

If you do not use the yoke/joystick in slew mode (I do not, I use the keyboard exclusively), in FS9 go into Options/Assignments/Joystick Axes tab. Then click the Slew Mode button. Now for each line that has an entry in the Axis column:

1. Click that line

2. Click Delete Joystick Assignment

3. Click OK (or whatever it says)

Repeat for all such lines. Click OK.

Now the joystick will have no effect whatever in Slew mode and usually such problems will be gone. If not, then you may have a keyboard issue.

Hope this helps,

Tom Gibson

CalClassic Propliner Page: http://www.calclassic.com

Thanks guys for all your suggestions.

Yes, I've always been using my trusty SAITEK flight yolk almost exclusively for slewing backwards/forwards/left/right but the numeric keys on my keyboard have always been active as well, mostly for the remaining rotation on the spot. Never had problems with this setup before though.

However and thanks to you guys, I now at least know where to begin looking. I'll report back what I find and what the solution was in this thread.

By the way, "almost exclusively for slewing". I use my SAITEK yolk, in combination with my throttle quadrant and rudder pedals, for flying as well. LOL.

Regards.

Hans

Tom,

"If not, then you may have a keyboard issue".

I had thought of many external FS9 possibilities before posting my problem but I had in no way expected a keyboard issue, which now became my very first real suspect. I replaced it with one of my reserve keyboards and PRESTO, problem solved !! You did it again Tom, this time via a single and very helpful remark.

However, I had now become very inquisitive as to how a single key (Y) on an otherwise well functioning keyboard can cause such a combination of issues within FS9 without at least causing a CTD and/or a Windows crash.

In the meantime I've performed "surgery" on the old keyboard but everything seems clean and normal inside it. Sadly the "surgery" and cleaning did not change anything, so it's Adios and into the trash can with it.

Thanks again Tom.

Hans