Who remembers Simon? That confirms your simming years

Kapitan

When people say..."Ive been simming since FS4", well they dont actually mean it or are exaggerating most of the times. Surely they had a try here and there but "active simmers?" ...very few.

One way to check if you are really an old timer is a simple question: "Do you remember Simon...?

not even myself recall his surname. This was a brit guy in mid 90s to early 2000s who was a "helper", apparently with time to spend online and was a computer and sim expert. He replied to most queries and had a vast knowledge and solutions to everything (Dreamfeet, Paul Golding days, et)

The problem (not for me) was that he used humor in such a way that offended many. I never saw it as arrogance. As I see it, he wanted to make the helping job a bit more enjoyable looking at the funny side of ideas, which often meant pointing out the ridiculous of the question, or the nonsense of other proposed solutions. He did it to me many times, never got offended, thought he was funny and helpful, British humor.

Unfortunately as political correctness grew people took it personally and he was eventually banned from both avsim, flightsim

He never got well with moderators either. His name was tagged so it could not be mentioned in any post

If you remember him, you were definitely around simming enough to get involved in forums and flightsim immersion

Edited by Kapitan

Kapitan

Anything I say is...not as serious as you think

Yes, I remember Simon. Sure, he had an unusual approach to a lot of things, and often some folks would take him wrong, but other times his attitude left a bit to be desired. It's been a long time since I looked, but I suspect you could find many of his posts in the archives at the bottom of the main page.

But there are lots of folks long gone that I'd prefer to remember, such as Capt Bala, a wonderful man with a wealth of experience and willing to post long explanations to help people understand whatever the subject was at hand. And Skylab, who passed a few years ago. And many others who've been very helpful indeed, over the years.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

I don't remember Simon. But that doesn't change the fact that I've been simming since FS2 (1984). What does remembering somebody have to do with my credibility?....Doug
Intel 10700K @ 5.0 Ghz, Asus Maxumus XII Hero MB, Noctua NH-U12A Cooler, Corsair Vengence Pro 32GB 3200Mhz, Geforce RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, and other good stuff.

What does remembering somebody have to do with my credibility?....Doug

Nothing, of course. I think Kapitan's looking to reminisce. But those who DO remember were certainly on this forum a lot of years ago which, in itself, doesn't do much for credibility, only for longevity on this forum.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

This is the first I've heard of "Simon":

But, I actually began flight simming in 1985 with a floppy disc of MSFS version 1 that someone gave me in my work office, and I played it on the company computer: A true IBM PC that cost $5,000 back then! Then I got a copy of FS Ver. 2, and I've been hooked on flight sim to this day.

Note: That IBM PC had 540k of RAM, and a 30mb hard drive...

Nope no idea who Simon is/was. Forums were not a thing back then only bulletin boards and such like. FS.com didn't even exist I think probably.

I go back to a Sinclair Spectrum running a flight sim by a company called Psion which was possibly a rip off of one of the early FlightLogic sims. B&W wire graphics and very small world to fly within. :-) Then graduated to the first iteration of Falcon on an Amiga. Didn't get a PC until '94 when I saw FS5.1 at a neighbors house and was stunned by its graphics. :-o Had every MSFS since then. Doubt I will be buying MS2020 in the immediate future though. Retirement and finances restricting on new equipment to run it. :-(

Nothing, of course. I think Kapitan's looking to reminisce. But those who DO remember were certainly on this forum a lot of years ago which, in itself, doesn't do much for credibility, only for longevity on this forum.

Right Larry, forums in avsim were active since 1996 when FS95 became popular and first payware and freeware addons were available. This is when the community really started. PC platform on the first intel or amd versions

FS4 that came bundled with windows cannot be considered the start of the hobby, it was a mere curiosity and besides you cannot mention FS4 because it came standard with windows, was not a user option to say...hey Im gonna start simming and buy a flight simulator, no...it was there just as Solitaire card games are in windows today. The mother, the sister, the little baby, anyone trying the computer went for a taste of FS4

Kapitan

Anything I say is...not as serious as you think

Also remember. How about Capt. Tarmack?
[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]Intel i7 7700K 4.5 Ghz, GTX 1080 SC 1TB 7200RPM HDD, Samsung 500Gb SSHD, 750W PSU, P3DV4, Windows 10 64 bit Home Premium.REX,GEX,UTX. UTLive

I’m debating whether or not to delete this post. The last contact with this individual was that he did not want his name mentioned here ever again. So, to honor his request, I think I’ll just lock the thread.

Darrell

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]