34" UltraWide vs. 55" TV

I currently have a single 24" monitor and am looking to add a new larger monitor with the intention of keeping the 24" for instruments and the new larger display for an out-the-windcreen view.

I've been looking at the current crop of 34" ultra wide monitors with the idea that it would be at typical monitor distance, perhaps a little higher than normal, with the old 24" below. Someone noted that a 40" or even one of the last 55" curved TVs would be less money and, with the extra height, fill my field of view somewhat more convincingly. The though it is would be placed "behind" the old 24".

Thoughts?

Edited by EaglesNest

Yep. Go to your local computer store and bring your pc with you. Attach it to a monitor of that size and see how you like it. I'm sure they'll let you try out for a while if that can lead to a sale.

Call in advance of course, or better yet drop by to make an appointment. That way they'll have some monitors of various sizes for you and a place to set it all up and try a flight.

For a larger monitor you usually need a bigger distance eyesscreen. So when testing pay attention to viewing comfort and distance and judge/guesstimate if the comfortable distance is a distance that would work in your size house/room.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]