Biltmore Estate Scenery

Gimmee99

I am just getting started with FS2004, but I can fly the Cessna and use the GPS enough to get around from local airport to local airport. Being from North Carolina i was excited about potentially flying out of Asheville and over the Biltmore Estate. As such an iconic tourist destination I thought for sure it would be included in the scenery but either its not OR I CANT FIND IT. I fly slowly north from the Asheville airport using maps and local knowledge and all i see is generic generated scenery. Does anyone know for sure if it IT there and I just cant fly well enough to find it yet?

Hi,

No, it's not in FS9 (or FSX). There is an FSX scenery for it, but it is not compatible with FS9. You can make it compatible, though, with just a little work. Hopefully your FS2004 is not installed into any Program Files folder - if so, do not try to edit the BGL or DDS files within that - use a folder on your Desktop or similar location away from any Program Files folder. Then move the edited files into your FS installation later.

1. Download and install ModelConverterX (MCX, latest development version). Do not install into any Program Files folder.

https://www.scenerydesign.org/development-releases/

2. Download and install convim (and the latest dll set from the same page). Do not install into any Program Files folder.

http://www.mwgfx.co.uk/

3. Download the FSX Biltmore Estate scenery.

https://www.fs2000.org/2015/09/13/fsx-biltmore-estates/

4. Start MCX and Import the biltmorejoe.bgl file from the scenery package (it's in the scenery folder).

5. Now use Export Scenery, choose FS2004 BGL file from the drop down box, and save it with the same name (biltmorejoe.bgl). Overwrite the old one if you wish.

6. Copy our new FS2004 BGL file and paste it into an active scenery folder. If you have addon scenery for KAVL this would be a logical place. If not, paste into the FS2004/Addon Scenery/scenery folder.

7. Copy the biltmoreash.bgl file from the scenery package and paste into the same folder as in #6.

8. Copy all the DDS texture files from the scenery package's texture folder and place them into the texture folder adjoining the scenery folder we used in #6 and 7. If you used the FS2004/Addon Scenery/scenery folder this would be the FS2004/Addon Scenery/texture folder.

9. Start convim and choose:

a. In the upper left box choose the texture folder you placed all the DDS texture into.

b. Click the All button at the lower left.

c. Choose Extended Bitmap from the center drop down box.

d. Click the Flip Image box.

e. Choose DXT1 from the drop down box at the lower right, if not selected already.

f. Uncheck include Mipmaps.

g. In the box at the upper right, choose the same folder as we did in step 9a.

h. Click the Convert button.

i. Say OK to the overwrite warning (we won't).

10. Start FS2004 and watch for the Updating Databases progress bar. If it does not appear, the new BGL files are not in an active scenery folder. Add that folder to the Scenery Library.

Go to KAVL, depart the airport at a heading of 353, and it will be on your right before you leave the airport grounds.

J9cvYmy.jpg

You can delete all the DDS files in the texture folder if you wish, but it's not necessary.

Hope this helps,

Edited by tgibson_new

Tom Gibson

CalClassic Propliner Page: http://www.calclassic.com

Closing the loop in this a bit in case others go through this type of experiment.

Additional details needed:

1. These main steps assume you have all the SDKS already installed. I didn't so you need to download the combined SDK packages so you have all the needed EXEs to do the work.

2. The convim program mentioned above does NOT allow for converting to Extended BMP. That is actually a feature of the convimx program which is on the BETA page for download at the same site.

3. On Windows 10, getting the system to like msxml4.dll is a pain. I finally downloaded the latest SP3 version from Microsoft and copied it into every program folder the process uses and rebooted and that finally allowed it to serve up whatever COM interfaces are needed.

4. You must copy the biltmoreash.bgl file to your target scenarary as well. I didnt understand at first that is the placement of the model so it must be included as well. As best I can tell you dont have to convert it to FS2004 format. It just kind of works as is.

5. That being said, if anyone knows how to change the placement in the editor, I would love to try and move the biltmore a little closer to where it actually is. I dont think its quite that close to the airport in real life. If for example i know the exact lat and long, can i use a program to edit those into the location file?

Hopefully one last update:

Scratch the comment above about needing the biltmoreash.bgl file. Looks like the placement *is* built into the model when you have it right. I finally got all the paths configfured correctly in the main model converter program and using that wizard, you can specify a new placement, so i created a NEW Biltmore.BGL with what i think is the correct long and lat. (Latitude: 35.540946 Longitude: 82.5529018). With my model, you take off and fly a little north by northeast over the first hill and the Mansion is down where it really is on the other side of the french broad.

Thanks for the correction (is it indeed convimx) and the added information.

I decompiled the biltmoreash.bgl file and it is the placement information. The other BGL only contains the object. But you can add the placement information into a new BGL file using MCX, just as you did. BTW, I did mention to add that file to the scenery folder, step #7.

Thanks too for the new location; I've placed mine there. Just to clarify, the new longitude should be W82.5529018 or -82.5529018, depending on the program you are using. The latitude is N35.540946 or 35.540946.

Edited by tgibson_new

Tom Gibson

BTW, I just noticed that when the building comes into view, the scenery goes blurry. This is due to very small (less than 64 pixel) DXT textures after conversion. Only some FS installations seem to be susceptible, so check if this is true with you. I rotate my position in Slew mode and when the building comes into view (even when I'm at the airport) the scenery goes blurry.

If this happens to you, instead of choosing DXT1 in step 9e above, choose 8 bit. This fixes the problem on my computer.

Hope this helps,

Tom Gibson