Been out of this world for 12 years need some help

Hi guys. Been out of flight sim for some 12 years now. I had a Microsoft sidewinder 2 Joystick back then. Just purchased a Honeycomb Yoke. Their Bravo quad is only due out later this year so need a throttle quad until then. Nothing too expensive but just to tide my over till then. Also which rudder pedals should I look at? TIA.

Welcome back :)

I too have recently bought a Honeycomb yoke & have ordered the Bravo throttles. The Bravo was supposed to come out in September but they’ve put it back a month. Personally I would wait for them to be released rather than buy a temporary one. Mind you,

I have the Saitek throttles while I’m waiting. They cost about £60 new but you can usually find some on eBay much cheaper

As for pedals.. I’m still using my CH Products pedals (must be about 15-20 years old now!)

I think Honeycomb have plans to make their own pedals but I don’t know when. I’ll probably upgrade when they do.

Regards

Steve

E1B2C8E5-5747-4111-9D4C-839380915B2C.jpeg

Edited by g7rta

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Pico 4  VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit

Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles

Yeah I have looked at this but they are out of stock everywhere. Used ones that I have found all have the ps2 plug which won’t work I believe as an independent unit.

I thought I was onto a winner when I could one in the Amazon warehouse listings which said it was usb but arrived as a ps2.

Can the throttles still be used via the keyboard?

If for temp throttles you could get a $15 Targus 10Keypad (PAUK10U) and map the keys to throttle (F1 - F4). You will find you can fly helicopters better. I have had mine for 10 years now and love it. You set it to left of keyboard and work it with left hand while you use right hand for joystick or yoke. My 2 cents.

Chuck B

Napamule

Edited by napamule2
i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

There are 2 Targus with same model number but one is thicker than the other. Get the skinny one as the thicker one will be too high to work with. The skinny one sits just right for palm on desktop and fingers reach easier. You will also not have to 'look' at keypad once you use it a few times. The keypad is USB with plub-n-play (no drivers required). I unplug mine when I finish simming. When I plug in Windows sounds a notice it 'recognized' it and when I touch the joystick the throttle goes full (F4) so I know to be ready to push F1 (cut). That is the only 'issue' (if you can call it that) I have with it. I also drive fast race cars (400 mph+) and use the spoiler to slow for 60 mph curves. Couldn't drive without this keypad.

Also helicopter require smooth, small changes, to do hover, etc so the tap of throttle key is 100% more accurate than a sliding throttle, with or without 'detents'. You will also find that 3 taps of F3 (increase) is NOT equal to 3 taps of F2 (decrease) as far as result of precentage of power is concerned (a Sim anomaly and not a keypad anomaly). Minor glitch you might not even detect or notice. But it's there.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

What you can also do is to add a 2nd USB keyboard.

What we did was to remap the keys using FSUIPC, group the keys & print little colored labels for them. Also turning the keyboard from landscape to portrait view. I dont have a picture, but if can imagine an extended version of Chuck's idea. It becomes quite immersive having labeled aircraft keys.

I can give a helping hand, if needed.

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa