Need advice

mega

My current system is:

CPU - i5 4690 ; RAM - 16Gb 1666Mhz DDR3 ; a very old motherboard ; GPU - Nvidia GTX 1060 Gaming ED

Using CS 767 II (heavy on frame rates) and getting about 25 fps with cloudy weather, default scenery and most sliders set at LOW to MEDIUM using P3D v4.5. I am looking at upgrading to:

CPU - i7 10700; new MoBo Gigabyte B460M; RAM - 16Gb 3200MHz DDR4 and keeping the GTX 1060

Will this give me a significant increase in performance using CS767 with higher graphic settings? I am not able to upgrade the graphics card at this time.

Trevor

My current system is:

CPU - i5 4690 ; RAM - 16Gb 1666Mhz DDR3 ; a very old motherboard ; GPU - Nvidia GTX 1060 Gaming ED

Using CS 767 II (heavy on frame rates) and getting about 25 fps with cloudy weather, default scenery and most sliders set at LOW to MEDIUM using P3D v4.5. I am looking at upgrading to:

CPU - i7 10700; new MoBo Gigabyte B460M; RAM - 16Gb 3200MHz DDR4 and keeping the GTX 1060

Will this give me a significant increase in performance using CS767 with higher graphic settings? I am not able to upgrade the graphics card at this time.

Trevor

Unlikely. CPU will still limit.

yes you will have quite an increase in performance. I have that system as well and I have everything maxed out and no stutters.

John

Rubbish! System will be limited by the cpu.

You can increase RAM and GPU speed, but you will still have an unassailable bottleneck...

mega, what is the make and model of the motherboard you have now? What is your budget?

I think, though not 100%, that P3D is coded now to take advantage of multiple threads and the GPU. If that assumption is correct then a beefier CPU would suffice. However, you don't really need to up the RAM speed at all. You could if you want to overclock the living hell out of what ever CPU you get and try and get as much power out of it as possible, but RAM speed will be very negligible.

About overclocking. I can tell you from my experience with over clocking my PC that I did not see any performance gains at all. My test bed was New York in FSX where I know my frames decrease. I never saw much of a bump in frames at all with the over clock. Unless you cool your CPU on liquid nitrogen and get up into the high sevens in GHz CPU power, you're not going to see much of an improvement. By in large, over clocking is just a bragging right for PC enthusiasts and ultra hard core gamers where they'll have a special gaming mouse, keyboard, HDD, RAM, the whole works. The turbo speed capability withen the Intel CPU its self is more than sufficient if the code you're crunching needs the extra clock cycles.

Besides, if you're maintaining 25 frames now and it's not dipping lower than that, then that is all you need. And in fact this is what I set it at in the Sim to give breathing room for the CPU to compute other instructions unimpeded. 25-30 frames is all you need and in fact 25 frames is used for TV in the UK and maybe Europe and 30 is used in the U.S. and maybe Canada. Your eye won't see much of a difference with a higher frame rate and if you set it beyond that or to unlimited you'll severely starve your CPU processing capability. So you'll want to lock the frame rate at 25 to 30 and no more. Though, having a higher frame rate means things seem more fluid.

If P3D does utilize more than one thread for processing versus that of FSX or FS2004 which are only single thread coded, then you could save a ton of money and buy a decent AMD Ryzen CPU. Intel, while they do have strong single thread capability versus that of AMD, are way more expensive.

Edit-

It looks like the CS 767 II has 4K textures which is undoubtedly putting a strain on your GPU and CPU. If you don't have a 4K capable monitor, or are like me and could spare some of the crisp eye candy these textures allow, then just use lower quality textures if the CS 767 II software has the ability for you to chose a lower quality set of textures.

I use Active Sky Cloud Art and some other airport add-on texture sets and I always chose the lower quality textures over the ultra HD stuff. Mainly because in FSX it's a single threaded game meaning only one core of the CPU will do most of the processing. And two, I don't care for a bunch of eye candy. With FSX you have to limit yourself at all the bells and whistles you throw at it and this may be true for P3D as well. I'm sure if I fired up the PMDG 737NGX, and used ultra HD textures for everything, my frame rates would suffer immensely, and/or give me an out of memory error or worse a possible BSOD due to heat or what ever.

Edited by CRJ_simpilot

The new processor will give you an increase in performance - if - repeat IF - you overclock it.

Its base clock rate of 2.9 GHz is, to put it mildly, pedestrian. You need to overclock to the hot side of 4 GHz, at least.

Jorgen

The i7 10700 already has turbo boost technology of a max of 4.8 GHz. No over clocking needed. If the code that you're running, be it a game, Sim, what ever requires more CPU horse power, then the CPU will give it providing the option is set accordingly in BIOS/UEFI.

Edit-

That lower base clock is nice for the TDP though.

Edited by CRJ_simpilot

The B- chipset mainboards do not have any overclock options. (so don't get a B460M but get a Z-series board.)

differences are explained briefly here, you can find more details on many other sites. https://www.quora.com/Whats-the-difference-between-the-Z-series-B-series-and-H-series-motherboard

Also get a normal sized board so it has plenty of connections for other hardware such as USB-devices, PCIE-cards, harddisks, RAM-dimm-sticks, etc. And because a larger board can get rid of heat much more easily. (The larger case that the board needs will also absorb the expelled heat more easily.) .

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]