My VR specs:

Processor Intel® Core™ i9-9900K Processor (8x 3.60GHz/16MB L3 Cache)

Processor Cooling iBUYPOWER 120mm Addressable RGB Liquid Cooling System - Black

Memory 32GB (16GB x 2) DDR4 3200MHz CORSAIR Vengeance LPX

Video Card NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti - 11GB GDDR6 - MSI VENTUS OC (VR-Ready)

Storage 1TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD

There seem to be a lot of members here who are mis-informed about VR. Here is a Q&A to answer some of the questions I keep getting.

1. Is it the same as TRackIR?

NO! TrackIR is still flying with monitors...all it does is enable hands free hat switching and zooming.

2. Is it uncomfortable?

No. I find it more comfortable than wearing a trackIR because I'm free to move my head around like in the real world, versus muted movements wearing trackir. I also don't have to continuously reset my view like I did in trackir.

3. Do you get dizzy?

No. I do not get any dizzy feeling while flying...probably no more that if I were flying a real plane. I found that if the game is really "arcadie" I feel the affects more. For instance I could not handle the Dinosaur rollercoaster on the quest, and found Wings a bit more dizzying. No problem with real simulators.

4. Is it expensive?

No. I spent way more money time building my home cockpit.

5. Is it complicated?

No. It has been pretty much "set it and forget it" for me.

6. Can you fly ifr?

Yes. I can do everything I can do in a non-VR setting.

7. Do you need an expensive system?

No. I believe most computers being built today are VR ready...so its just a question of how much you want to spend as with any upgrade.

8. Can you wear prescription glasses in VR?

Yes there is an adapter.

9. What is the resolution in VR?

List of VR resolutions by device

10. Is it the future of gaming/simming?

No doubt in my mind. Definitely the future of simming for me. I could never go back to non-VR flying. There is just no comparison, and you can try explaining to people what they are missing out on, but until they try VR they will never know.

I too am a fan of VR, although as I said previously I haven’t done it too much lately. I have a Quest & a Rift. Both are fantastic.

However, not everyone here is a fan. I think you should stop banging on about it & stop starting all these new posts.

Best Regards

Steve

Edited by g7rta

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Pico 4  VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit

Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles

I too am a fan of VR, although as I said previously I haven’t done it too much lately. I have a Quest & a Rift. Both are fantastic.

However, not everyone here is a fan. I think you should stop banging on about it & stop starting all these new posts.

Best Regards

Steve

I think we are going to get our own VR forum...so all the VR posts can be moved there.

I should mention that I was just as hyped about trackir when it came out. You don't have to hate VR just because you like Trackir. I have an atari retro console connected to my tv. I can still appreciate those games back in the 80's. It's kind of cool to see the evolution. TRackir was part of the evolution to VR.

You don't have to hate VR just because you like Trackir.

Evidently you take lack of enthusiasm for hate, instead of more like indifference or perhaps waiting 'til it gets lots better. You also seem to have trouble understanding anyone else's viewpoint.

Your approach to this whole thing turns most people off, rather than getting them on your side. THink it over.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

Evidently you take lack of enthusiasm for hate, instead of more like indifference or perhaps waiting 'til it gets lots better. You also seem to have trouble understanding anyone else's viewpoint.

Your approach to this whole thing turns most people off, rather than getting them on your side. THink it over.

Hey I was just as hyped about trackir when it came out...and I recall getting the same opposition back then. Every one can have an opinion, and they can choose to fly however they like. But facts are facts and the fact is VR is the closest and most affordable option for a realistic flying experience. And before anyone says about the dudes who build full on replicas in their garage...90% of the enjoyment with a homebuild is the build, not the flying. If you ask any homebuilder he spends more time "buying" and not "flying". AND with YAW VR you can have a full motion VR experience too without all the cost, time and maintenance.

That's the best part about VR...you get back to flying.

• Founder
Hey I was just as hyped about trackir when it came out...and I recall getting the same opposition back then.

It's a shame you learned nothing from that.

It's not so much that people hate VR, rather they hate they way YOU present it. You still seem to have trouble separating opinion from fact.

But facts are facts

True enough.

and the fact is VR is the closest and most affordable option for a realistic flying experience.

That's opinion, your opinion not fact. The assertions you make are NOT proof that your opinions are facts and that others HAVE TO agree with you. And many (most??) of us DO NOT AGREE with you, which would be no big deal except that you act as if shouting loud enough will make everyone have to agree with you. Maybe maturity will some day help you understand what you evidently can not (or will not) understand now.

And do you learn nothing from Nels' posts about how YOU present things being the problem, and my posts about your approach to VR? Do you actually read and understand these posts? From here it seems as if you ignore what anyone says except that you want to call them "haters" because they fail to agree with your opinion.

And why should people with years of experience in this field (probably longer than you've been alive), and related fields (real aviation), accept things just because you say so, when their perceptions and experiences tell them otherwise.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

It's a shame you learned nothing from that.

It's not so much that people hate VR, rather they hate they way YOU present it. You still seem to have trouble separating opinion from fact.

So what about that VR forum? Also, can you just merge both accounts? Ghosttown is my old one I had on my phone...honestly I didn't even notice when it auto logged me in that it was a different account until I posted. I believe vbulletin has a merge feature to put all my posts/topics under one username. Can I use Vrdude instead?

An alternative VR Q&A....

Q. Does it affect your ability to see things realistically?

A. YES - it makes you think that its the only thing around and all people must convert.

Q. Does it give you tunnel vision?

A. YES - it makes you think that its the only thing around and all people must convert.

Q. Is it some form of Religion?

Regards

Brian

Well said Brian! +1

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

How well will VR work if you are a cyclops like me? I have only one working eye due to cancer, my state allows me to drive, but my insurance rate is double because of it. Driving is not really a problem other than occasional depth perception issues and drive throughs some things just requires two eyes.
Computer, lots of electrical thingys

How well will VR work if you are a cyclops like me? I have only one working eye due to cancer, my state allows me to drive, but my insurance rate is double because of it. Driving is not really a problem other than occasional depth perception issues and drive throughs some things just requires two eyes.

I posted this earlier when another member was asking.

Actually no. I just tested it with one eye closed and it looks the same. It looked just like it would if I were flying in the real world with one eye closed. I guess you don't get the same depth perception just like you wouldn't in the real world, but that would be more realistic anyway. Honestly I couldn't tell any difference with one eye or with both eyes as far as the VR experience.

Likewise here. I have a lazy left eye (it can't even read the top letter at the opticians) which can't be corrected by glasses. I am okay to drive as the right eye compensates but I would imagine VR would not be very effective. In addition I am prone to severe optical disturbances if I focus on a close point for any length of time (possibly a variation on optical migraine, but unable to get an appointment at the hospital eye clinic to confirm due to ongoing Covid-19) so I am not about to try anything that might aggravate or trigger that.

Finally my wife already complains about getting my attention when on the PC, so wearing a VR headset is unlikely to improve her view of that...

Vern.

Likewise here. I have a lazy left eye (it can't even read the top letter at the opticians) which can't be corrected by glasses. I am okay to drive as the right eye compensates but I would imagine VR would not be very effective. In addition I am prone to severe optical disturbances if I focus on a close point for any length of time (possibly a variation on optical migraine, but unable to get an appointment at the hospital eye clinic to confirm due to ongoing Covid-19) so I am not about to try anything that might aggravate or trigger that.

Finally my wife already complains about getting my attention when on the PC, so wearing a VR headset is unlikely to improve her view of that...

Sounds like you need VR more than I do :)

Not sure about your specific case but VR works fine with one eye closed.

Not sure about your specific case but VR works fine with one eye closed.

One eye closed for a moment is NOT the same as being without an eye or as having a lazy eye or other eye impairment. Try to see someone else's viewpoint instead of trying to force yours on everyone else.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Hi Brian, I actually like VR but still liked your post. I made me laugh while eating my lunch (working down the road from you at Elmsall :)

Regards

Steve

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Pico 4  VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit

Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles

One eye closed for a moment is NOT the same as being without an eye or as having a lazy eye or other eye impairment. Try to see someone else's viewpoint instead of trying to force yours on everyone else.

I can do a whole flight with one eye closed no problem...still looks amazing. Not sure what the difference is. Whatever it is it will be the same with everything not just VR. But if some people can't use VR I get that...but just because they can't use it doesn't take away from it. It's still the most realistic option out there even if they don't use it.

Hi Brian, I actually like VR... :)

Regards

Steve

Hi Steve,

Glad it made you laugh...my intentions were not to slag off those who like/use VR - I have actually tried it in non FS related games - but simply to make a point about the general attitude of the OP in this thread and the others that he has started.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion but to try and force a specific view on people in the manner in which he has so far attempted is, IMO, the wrong way to go about it

Edited by longbreak754
Correct typo

Regards

Brian