Real World Scenery?

Hi.

Is it true that one may be able to see their own house in FS 2020? I'm hearing that the default scenery is actually that good. Also, I have read that the default aircraft are good enough and accurate enough to eliminate the need for addon aircraft? If so, it looks like there are soon going to be a lot of happy simmers! Tom

Depending on where you live, yes, they may have your house. However, in many cases it may not be 100% accurate as they are using AI processing to make educated guesses based on satellite imagery. See the Discovery Episode below for more details.

And after you have watched this one, give the rest a watch too.

While the default aircraft look to be better than the defaults in prior sims, they won't be at the same level as PMDG, for example. So whether that makes them good enough for you is a personal decision. Then there is the question about what aircraft you like to fly. There are no default military or regional turbo-props, so you will need to look to third parties for those.

Also nobody knows exactly what “Offers in game purchases” means. Maybe as new more aircraft are made (eg: helicopters) then we maybe able to buy them through the sim?

This could be a way the third party devs will sell their addons?

Regards

Steve

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Pico 4  VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit

Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles

Also nobody knows exactly what “Offers in game purchases” means. Maybe as new more aircraft are made (eg: helicopters) then we maybe able to buy them through the sim?

This could be a way the third party devs will sell their addons?

Regards

Steve

It will be referring to the in game Marketplace that they have talked about and was visible in some screenshots or videos. Basically, yes, it looks like that’s where you could buy additional add-one from third party developers, if they choose to release them there. Asobo has said developers could use it, or their own website or app (like they do today for FSX/P3D).

Thanks for the input guys. I currently am using the ORBX set of Global, Vector and Landclass. I thought the three including Landclass would be great but I find North American LC way off on placement of urban areas and streets. Hopefully FS will be a big improvement. Besides, I think we all are overdue for something close to satellite - like scenery or something very close to it. Tom

I live in a tower block, it's pretty accurate in Google Maps 3D view, so should be pretty good in the sim lol - from the vids I saw, it's pretty accurate down to individual trees, even if not that well drawn below tree-top level.

I'm looking forwards to seeing if they manage to match real-world bump mapping, having FreemeshX changed the sim for me into something worth flying for fun, the grand canyon went from a u shaped valley into something quite spectacular. Looking forwards to comparing FS2020 to FSX :¬)

MSFS uses Bing, not Google for scenery, & it is going to be interesting to see.

If I may, sorry to ask, but why do you call the new sim FS2020?

I thought it is called Microsoft Flight Simulator, (MSFS), 3 versions, Standard, Deluxe & Premier.

Can I quote what Mathijs Kok, from Aerosoft, who will be distributing the DVD package has to say..

"Let me explain what the boxed version actually contains. Microsoft Flight SImulator (that's the name, not FS2020) contains four major parts (Note the sizes are estimates from what we know at this moment.)

The simulator code itself (the 'sim') that is pretty small in size, this is a mandatory part of the sim.

The world and aircraft delivered by Microsoft, (that content depends on the version (the 'content') that is around 90 GB, this is a mandatory part of the sim.

Optional online streamed content (this is an optional part of the sim)

3rd party files (clearly fully optional)

Our DVD's contains 'all' of part 2, apart from the updates Microsoft and Asobo do between the moment the the DVD's are pressed and release. When you install, the sim will updates all files immediately form the servers and you will get the very latest code for the simulator itself and all content is updated. This is very much a simulator that depends on the cloud if you want to use it to its full potential. So the boxed version makes it possible for people on a slower internet connection to get the sim installed without downloading the 'content'. So the simulator is in every way, 100% the same. The boxed retail version just gets you a nice box, printed manual and about 90 Gb you do not have to download. There is no difference between boxed retail and the version MS sells directly. "

Maybe use the name that the developers & distributors, as well as MS are using? Avoids confusion that way..

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

I am not sure the name Microsoft Flight Simulator reduces confusion. Some of us are old enough to remember that name associated with software from the 1980s, software originally used as an unofficial compatibility test for PCs built on various 8088, 8086, 80186 (very few), 80286, and 80386 machines. Those versions were sometimes more specifically known as Microsoft Flight Simulator 1.0 or MSFS 3.0. But for many in the community, MSFS is a generic catchall to include every version through Flight Simulator 2004 and FSX. Thus FS2020 differentiates the new sim from older versions in the minds of the community that has evolved around various iterations of Flight Simulator in the past, less confusion actually for many of us! I go back to many iterations ago, when Felix Rodriguez was a moderator on the forum, and my forum participation started with version FS95, then known as biguglyguy on the forum, with a few tweaks of the .air file for that version posted in the forum. Dave Eckert asked me to do a few .air files for some of his projects, and I began to offer flight dynamic tweaks for FS2000 in the library. Nels eventually changed my forum name to plainsman, to consolidate with works I did for Microsoft Train Simulator under that name. Edited by plainsman
I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

I do agree that the name is somewhat simplistic and not very descriptive and in my mind.

Being around for many decades and familiar with all the previous versions, I decided to refer to it as FSXX, when I refer to it when I correspond with others.

I only hope that the the sim is less confusing, and delineates itself, from what I, and many old timers, associate that name with.

I am not sure who, and why they decided to call it that, but I would think it was someone that is not very familiar with some of the history and connotations of that name.

So far I am not impressed and in many ways disappointment with the process and I will be waiting to see when and if IFR and SDK will be available. Without IFR this is worthless to me.

The fact that they split the C172 in 2 acft is a cheap shot and it shows that they are expecting people that do not know any better, new users, to buy it. I think that may be a huge mistake, will see.

Edited by flytv1

>>Have you watched the Discovery Episode on IFR?

Hi Loki.

Yes, I have. That guy did not impress me with his terminology, but my understanding is that IFR will not be in the initial release of Aug.? Maybe in January. Am I wrong?

Do you know where can I find the information on what Exactly will be included in the present release? I find everything very superficially described coming from Assobo.

>>Have you watched the Discovery Episode on IFR?

Hi Loki.

Yes, I have. That guy did not impress me with his terminology, but my understanding is that IFR will not be in the initial release of Aug.? Maybe in January. Am I wrong?

Do you know where can I find the information on what Exactly will be included in the present release? I find everything very superficially described coming from Assobo.

Where are you getting the impression that IFR won't be included right away? So far it appears to me that what they have shown in the Discovery Episodes and talked about in their development updates would be included, unless they have explicitly said otherwise (like VR, helicopters and seasons).

I do agree that their marketing leaves much to be desired. People everywhere have been confused about the number of included airports, for example. I do suspect that more detailed feature lists will be coming as wee get closer to release. Some tech media sites have already said they have been provided with review kits, so I would think we will see reviews right on, or very close to, release day.

Where are you getting the impression that IFR won't be included right away?

I do agree that their marketing leaves much to be desired.

I read about it on another Forum, a while back, about some issues getting the data timely from the company they collaborate with? I just looked for it now and I am unable to find it.

It may have just been some misinformation. Do you know for a fact that it will be included, and if true, other than some of the development videos from Asobo, is there anything specific?

I do not understand why all this fuzzy sales distribution?

Some people say that the Box form will only be a available in Europe?

That there may be a version where you can download and free test it with the Hawaii only scenery restriction?

It makes them look like they are not sure what they will be including in it, and raising many questions in people's mind that have been around for a while.

Edited by flytv1

I read about it on another Forum, a while back, about some issues getting the data timely from the company they collaborate with? I just looked for it now and I am unable to find it.

It may have just been some misinformation. Do you know for a fact that it will be included, and if true, other than some of the development videos from Asobo, is there anything specific?

I do not understand why all this fuzzy sales distribution?

Some people say that the Box form will only be a available in Europe?

That there may be a version where you can download and free test it with the Hawaii only scenery restriction?

It makes them look like they are not sure what they will be including in it, and raising many questions in people's mind that have been around for a while.

No, I can't confirm for a fact it will be there, but without some hard evidence to the contrary, I would expect it to be included.

The sales options seem to be fairly straight forward for a modern game or sim with the primary means being online distribution. Aerosoft worked out a deal with MS to distribute it by disc in Europe as well, and we will need to wait and see if something similar is done for the rest of the world. Basically for everyone outside Europe, online is the only option for purchasing.

There hasn't been any talk from any official source about a demo that I have seen so far. I would strongly recommend taking anything other than what can be backed up with official sources as rumour and speculation, which there has been plenty of. Although I can understand some of the confusion as this is the first time many in the flight sim community are being exposed to the Xbox branding and modern distribution methods. The official FAQ does answer a number of questions, but could use some attention.

If you do want to give it a test before buying, you can check out the Game Pass for PC deal that is currently running where you can sign up for the first 30 days for $1. This would get you access to the full Standard edition. From there you can decide to stick with Game Pass, or buy the sim outright (possibly at a discount) and drop the subscription.

.... a deal with MS to distribute it by disc in Europe as well, and we will need to wait and see if something similar is done for the rest of the world. Basically for everyone outside Europe, online is the only option for purchasing.

If you do want to give it a test before buying, you can check out the Game Pass for PC deal that is currently running where you can sign up for the first 30 days for $1. This would get you access to the full Standard edition. From there you can decide to stick with Game Pass, or buy the sim outright (possibly at a discount) and drop the subscription.

I do hope that the Box edition will be available, that would be the only way I, and some people I spoke with, will purchase it. I also hope there is way to get a refund if for some reason does not perform to what was advertised, there is just too much fuzziness involved in this sales distribution.

I will not sign up for any of the MS Game pass to test anything including this very difficult to understand what is included in it game.

I guess for now, and likely the near future, unless some miracle happens, this may be the first sim in over 4x years that I will not purchase until I see it first. The FSX, XPlane and a few others, will have to do.

I do hope that the Box edition will be available, that would be the only way I, and some people I spoke with, will purchase it. I also hope there is way to get a refund if for some reason does not perform to what was advertised, there is just too much fuzziness involved in this sales distribution.

I will not sign up for any of the MS Game pass to test anything including this very difficult to understand what is included in it game.

I guess for now, and likely the near future, unless some miracle happens, this may be the first sim in over 4x years that I will not purchase until I see it first. The FSX, XPlane and a few others, will have to do.

Online or boxed, you will still need a Microsoft account to install and run the sim. The boxed edition only saves you from the initial download. After that it is still going to want to be tied to an account.

There's certainly no harm with being patient and waiting until it has been released to see what it's like. We still have a month to go, which is quite a bit of time for them to release more details.

Where are you getting the impression that IFR won't be included right away? So far it appears to me that what they have shown in the Discovery Episodes and talked about in their development updates would be included, unless they have explicitly said otherwise (like VR, helicopters and seasons).

Wait. No seasons either in MS2020? Wow! I will definitely be staying with FS9 and my addons.

Looks like seasons to me, unless I am mistaken:

What they showed was snow falling and blanketing a city, but not full support for seasons. For example, they haven't shown, unless I've missed it, trees without leaves instead of full foliage, or fields that are green in the summer and brown in the winter.

Hi.

Is it true that one may be able to see their own house in FS 2020? I'm hearing that the default scenery is actually that good. Also, I have read that the default aircraft are good enough and accurate enough to eliminate the need for addon aircraft? If so, it looks like there are soon going to be a lot of happy simmers! Tom

If you turn on all your house lights!

I am amused (maybe I shouldn't) to see Orbx (for example) over the last few months, pushing new content at a high rate. I assume to get their projects sold before MSFS arrives. Since the MSFS announcement it's been a bit quieter. Save for Orbx suggesting that they are looking forward to partnering with MSFS! I bet they are!

Maybe I am a bit sore that I have invested a lot in Orbx areas and airports in recent years and for reasons not been able to use it much.

MSFS uses Bing, not Google for scenery, & it is going to be interesting to see.

If I may, sorry to ask, but why do you call the new sim FS2020?

I thought it is called Microsoft Flight Simulator, (MSFS), 3 versions, Standard, Deluxe & Premier.

Can I quote what Mathijs Kok, from Aerosoft, who will be distributing the DVD package has to say..

"Let me explain what the boxed version actually contains. Microsoft Flight SImulator (that's the name, not FS2020) contains four major parts (Note the sizes are estimates from what we know at this moment.)

The simulator code itself (the 'sim') that is pretty small in size, this is a mandatory part of the sim.

The world and aircraft delivered by Microsoft, (that content depends on the version (the 'content') that is around 90 GB, this is a mandatory part of the sim.

Optional online streamed content (this is an optional part of the sim)

3rd party files (clearly fully optional)

Our DVD's contains 'all' of part 2, apart from the updates Microsoft and Asobo do between the moment the the DVD's are pressed and release. When you install, the sim will updates all files immediately form the servers and you will get the very latest code for the simulator itself and all content is updated. This is very much a simulator that depends on the cloud if you want to use it to its full potential. So the boxed version makes it possible for people on a slower internet connection to get the sim installed without downloading the 'content'. So the simulator is in every way, 100% the same. The boxed retail version just gets you a nice box, printed manual and about 90 Gb you do not have to download. There is no difference between boxed retail and the version MS sells directly. "

Maybe use the name that the developers & distributors, as well as MS are using? Avoids confusion that way..

I do hope you objected this vehemently to people referring to "FS9" then, which isn't called that either...

I love the smell of napalm on my cornflakes.