Now you deleted my topic?

There is a reason that there are only a few posts a day in the msfs2020 forum....it's because the majority of simmers now are moving towards VR and want to discuss VR...but apparently that is taboo around here.

The post was about the full motion VR simulator called YAW VR

Edited by GhostTown

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

....it's because the majority of simmers now are moving towards VR and want to discuss VR...but apparently that is taboo around here.

All 2 of you? VR is a small minority here at this site.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

• Founder

For those who haven't figured it out, "Ghosttown" and "VRdude" are the same person.

I'm perfectly happy to have discussion of VR here. It's an interesting topic and perfectly valid. The problem is when a person insists on preaching only his own beliefs and opinions and does not actually listen to what others say. That's trolling, not discussion.

If he was hoping to gain some converts to VR in these forums he's failed. I checked out Virtual Reality on Wikipedia here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_reality

It's been "the next big thing" in gaming since the early 90's, and almost 30 years later it still isn't a "big thing". According to Wikipedia, this might explain why:

"There are many health and safety considerations of virtual reality. A number of unwanted symptoms have been caused by prolonged use of virtual reality, and these may have slowed proliferation of the technology. Most virtual reality systems come with consumer warnings, including: seizures; developmental issues in children; trip-and-fall and collision warnings; discomfort; repetitive stress injury; and interference with medical devices. Some users may experience twitches, seizures or blackouts while using VR headsets, even if they do not have a history of epilepsy and have never had blackouts or seizures before. One in 4,000 people, or .025%, may experience these symptoms. Since these symptoms are more common among people under the age of 20, children are advised against using VR headsets. Other problems may occur in physical interactions with one's environment. While wearing VR headsets, people quickly lose awareness of their real-world surroundings and may injure themselves by tripping over, or colliding with real-world objects.

VR headsets may regularly cause eye fatigue, as does all screened technology, because people tend to blink less when watching screens, causing their eyes to become more dried out. There have been some concerns about VR headsets contributing to myopia, but although VR headsets sit close to the eyes, they may not necessarily contribute to nearsightedness if the focal length of the image being displayed is sufficiently far away.

Virtual reality sickness (also known as cybersickness) occurs when a person's exposure to a virtual environment causes symptoms that are similar to motion sickness symptoms. Women are significantly more affected than men by headset-induced symptoms, at rates of around 77% and 33% respectively. The most common symptoms are general discomfort, headache, stomach awareness, nausea, vomiting, pallor, sweating, fatigue, drowsiness, disorientation, and apathy. For example, Nintendo's Virtual Boy received much criticism for its negative physical effects, including "dizziness, nausea, and headaches". These motion sickness symptoms are caused by a disconnect between what is being seen and what the rest of the body perceives. When the vestibular system, the body's internal balancing system, does not experience the motion that it expects from visual input through the eyes, the user may experience VR sickness. This can also happen if the VR system does not have a high enough frame rate, or if there is a lag between the body's movement and the onscreen visual reaction to it. Because approximately 25–40% of people experience some kind of VR sickness when using VR machines, companies are actively looking for ways to reduce VR sickness."

I personally dislike anything which restricts or limits my vision of the outside world, it's just unnatural and very unpleasant. That's human nature and that will never change. The VR industry needs to change it's headset design or even the need for a headset at all, but in almost 30 years they still haven't learnt this simple lesson.

Edited by tiger1962

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

If he was hoping to gain some converts to VR in these forums he's failed. I checked out Virtual Reality on Wikipedia here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_reality

It's been "the next big thing" in gaming since the early 90's, and almost 30 years later it still isn't a "big thing". According to Wikipedia, this might explain why:

"There are many health and safety considerations of virtual reality. A number of unwanted symptoms have been caused by prolonged use of virtual reality, and these may have slowed proliferation of the technology. Most virtual reality systems come with consumer warnings, including: seizures; developmental issues in children; trip-and-fall and collision warnings; discomfort; repetitive stress injury; and interference with medical devices. Some users may experience twitches, seizures or blackouts while using VR headsets, even if they do not have a history of epilepsy and have never had blackouts or seizures before. One in 4,000 people, or .025%, may experience these symptoms. Since these symptoms are more common among people under the age of 20, children are advised against using VR headsets. Other problems may occur in physical interactions with one's environment. While wearing VR headsets, people quickly lose awareness of their real-world surroundings and may injure themselves by tripping over, or colliding with real-world objects.

VR headsets may regularly cause eye fatigue, as does all screened technology, because people tend to blink less when watching screens, causing their eyes to become more dried out. There have been some concerns about VR headsets contributing to myopia, but although VR headsets sit close to the eyes, they may not necessarily contribute to nearsightedness if the focal length of the image being displayed is sufficiently far away.

Virtual reality sickness (also known as cybersickness) occurs when a person's exposure to a virtual environment causes symptoms that are similar to motion sickness symptoms. Women are significantly more affected than men by headset-induced symptoms, at rates of around 77% and 33% respectively. The most common symptoms are general discomfort, headache, stomach awareness, nausea, vomiting, pallor, sweating, fatigue, drowsiness, disorientation, and apathy. For example, Nintendo's Virtual Boy received much criticism for its negative physical effects, including "dizziness, nausea, and headaches". These motion sickness symptoms are caused by a disconnect between what is being seen and what the rest of the body perceives. When the vestibular system, the body's internal balancing system, does not experience the motion that it expects from visual input through the eyes, the user may experience VR sickness. This can also happen if the VR system does not have a high enough frame rate, or if there is a lag between the body's movement and the onscreen visual reaction to it. Because approximately 25–40% of people experience some kind of VR sickness when using VR machines, companies are actively looking for ways to reduce VR sickness."

I personally dislike anything which restricts or limits my vision of the outside world, it's just unnatural and very unpleasant. That's human nature and that will never change. The VR industry needs to change it's headset design or even the need for a headset at all, but in almost 30 years they still haven't learnt this simple lesson.

I didn’t read it, but I think it may also cause users to develop multiple personalities on posting forums!

I9-10900kf, gtx3090, 32gb ddr 4 3200mhz, 2TB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD

internet - 300+ mbs / Honycomb Alpha yoke, Alienware monitor 34 inch @ 3440 x 1440

All 2 of you? VR is a small minority here at this site.

Why be a jackass when you respond? Just because you don't know anything about VR. Have you done a survey of how many of us out here use VR? I doubt it so that means you know squat about the actual numbers. Your kinds of posts are what keep people from becoming first class members with your little clique attitude.

• Founder

The specific post in question was deleted simply because it was not related to flight simulation, which is the topic of this forum.

So, let's start a survey, how many here are interested in VR?

I've been around the stuff for a long time, and the wikipedia is right...VR has been the "next big thing" for a VERY long time. I think my first VR experience must have been close to 30 years ago. I was with co-workers at a computer trade show (before FlightSim.Com, so a minimum of 25 years ago) and there was a VR flight simulator being demonstrated. Though primitive, wow, it was cool. But nothing ever came of it and I never heard or saw it again.

If I could afford a really good VR setup I probably would use it some of the time, but I don't think it's the perfect answer for every flightsimmer or even every flight.

Why be a jackass when you respond? Just because you don't know anything about VR. Have you done a survey of how many of us out here use VR? I doubt it so that means you know squat about the actual numbers. Your kinds of posts are what keep people from becoming first class members with your little clique attitude.

I see your screen name fits perfectly!

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

No interest in VR here either.

Sent from my KFDOWI using Tapatalk

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

One of the great things about simulators, is that they allow folks with different interests to pursue them in the way they enjoy. Since I am now in my 70s, I am not very proficient at the quick reaction thrill ride. My interests in flight simulation have always been two fold. First, as a scientist and engineer in real life (NOT aeronautical engineer), I really like to experiment and tinker, without risking a horrendous catastrophe if the experiment fails. For example, one of the first files to create something nonstock in FSX, was the mods I made to the default DC-3 to model the Japanese version with less powerful engines, the L2D2. The second thing I enjoy, I like to go to places I will never be able to visit in reality, and take in the landscape and scenery to experience a taste of some strange and exotic environment, for example fly out of UCFM or SCSB. I know I am not what most are after, but that does not hurt the person that likes to fly around their hometown, we can both enjoy for our varied purposes. If you enjoy VR, I don't disparage your quest! We can all enjoy! Edited by plainsman
I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

• Founder
That's a really good commentary. The flightsim hobby has a lot of breadth and depth. If your only interest was flying using VR that's really only a small part of the hobby. There is no one right or wrong way of doing it. We're all individuals and can enjoy simulated aviation in different ways and still get something from it.

I'm another with little to no interest in VR, as it currently is. If it had decent resolution, was about the size and weight of a pair of glasses, and didn't cause a number of health problems for some people, I'd have a greater interest.

And thanks for your insightful comments, Tim, Nels and Bob.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

No...The Lawnmower Man scared me away from VR.
Gigabyte GA-X99 Gaming G1, i7-5960X, Noctua NH-D14, Crucial Ballistix Elite 64Gb, Nvidia GTX Titan X, Creative ZxR, Ableconn PEXM2-130, WD Black SN750 250Gb & 2Tb NVMe/Gold 10Tb HDD, Sony BDU-X10S BD-ROM, PC Power & Cooling 1200w, Cosmos C700M, Noctua iPPC 140mm x6, Logitech M570/K800, WinX64 7 Ultimate/10 Pro

My neighbor across the street bought a VR machine around Christmas last year ($400). He is not a pilot nor a flight simmer, but he loves to go on the VR for his "WOW!" He talks about it the way I used to talk about weekend beer parties with my friends! I'm not negative about it, just don't know how it will play into the scheme of flight simming as we all have known it in the past. If it is going to be part of the new FS2020, then I am sure, the posts about VR will follow once it is up and running! Until then, I guess we can all be patient to see what the new Sim will offer!:rolleyes:

Rick :cool:

Zero interest in VR, seems gimmicky. Good for kids that want to catch Pokémon (Pokémen?) in their moms basement instead of looking for a job.

I9-10900kf, gtx3090, 32gb ddr 4 3200mhz, 2TB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD

internet - 300+ mbs / Honycomb Alpha yoke, Alienware monitor 34 inch @ 3440 x 1440

Although I haven’t been using VR all that much lately (due to testing a certain flight sim) but I do own an Oculus Rift and a Quest.

Whenever I do use the rift, it never fails to impress me, especially when in a flight sim. I also use a VRF seat pad which I bought many years ago after reading a review on this site. That of course works without VR too.

Regards

Steves

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Pico 4  VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit

Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles

I would certainly like to try flying in VR - if I knew somebody who has one. I am always interested in new technology, but I can't imagine being as comfortable with that monstrosity on my head, as I am now sitting in front of my wide screen HD monitor!

Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.6 GHz; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti 11GB GDDR5X; ASRock Z270 K6 Gaming MB, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM; 500GB SSD + 2TB HDD; Windows 10 Pro 64-bit; 34" 21:9 curved 4K Monitor

One of the great things about simulators, is that they allow folks with different interests to pursue them in the way they enjoy. Since I am now in my 70s, I am not very proficient at the quick reaction thrill ride. My interests in flight simulation have always been two fold. First, as a scientist and engineer in real life (NOT aeronautical engineer), I really like to experiment and tinker, without risking a horrendous catastrophe if the experiment fails. For example, one of the first files to create something nonstock in FSX, was the mods I made to the default DC-3 to model the Japanese version with less powerful engines, the L2D2. The second thing I enjoy, I like to go to places I will never be able to visit in reality, and take in the landscape and scenery to experience a taste of some strange and exotic environment, for example fly out of UCFM or SCSB. I know I am not what most are after, but that does not hurt the person that likes to fly around their hometown, we can both enjoy for our varied purposes. If you enjoy VR, I don't disparage your quest! We can all enjoy!

Nice to read a sensible post, the great thing about our hobby is we can make it as simplified or as complicated as we want VR or non VR it does not matter each to his own.

I have always been up for trying new technologies if it makes the sim more immersive. So i tried VR at a Uk flightsim show a couple of years back. It didn't work for me as after 10 mins i suffered motion sickness. In that 10 mins though i could tell that it was a positive step as far as immersion goes but for me it had downsides to it that the immersion didn't compensate for. (I like to feel the switches I am flicking)

However, we all like to use our sims in our own way, mine is with a home cockpit setup.

We have discussions on all of methods of simming so i don't see why we can't discuss VR. Its just not for me.

Enjoy your sim in whichever way you desire and please let's be friends to each other and keep things civil on the forums.

Cheers

Stinger

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk