Is the recommended spec list already out of date?

Hi all,

The top intel cpu listed on the FS2020 sheet is the i7 9800x. A trawl of the web shows faster intel cpu's like the i9 9900k or the i7 10700k . Are they out of date or are they saying that the 9800x chip is still the best for this sim?

Cheers

Stinger

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

"Recommended" means "at least" in this case.
Hi,

The cpu that i quoted is on what MS show as the "ideal" rig. It is just that i would have thought that in there they would put the fastest chip available?

Stinger

Hi,

The cpu that i quoted is on what MS show as the "ideal" rig. It is just that i would have thought that in there they would put the fastest chip available?

Stinger

Each level in the specs should be considered a minimum to achieve a certain level of performance. They aren’t going to keep updating the specs as new components come out.

Each level in the specs should be considered a minimum to achieve a certain level of performance. They aren’t going to keep updating the specs as new components come out.

Great comment ! Am assuming FS2020 will run better with no barriers unlike FSX ? I know with FSX that the performance gets to a certain level and any more PC power is a waste.

FSX. As of now I have 3 laptops all utilizing & linked to FSX, 1 - 32" TV for Gages, 40" TV for Main View. Saitek Pro Flight Control System. Am building a new rig and flight deck. Most likely going to X-Plane 11 for Sim. Also might buy MFS2020 for the pretty Pictures.

Great comment ! Am assuming FS2020 will run better with no barriers unlike FSX ? I know with FSX that the performance gets to a certain level and any more PC power is a waste.

Yes, MSFS should be much better positioned to take advantage of new hardware as it comes out. FSX got caught out with the change from single to multi-core CPUs in particular, whereas the new sim has had the benefit of a much clearer path regarding current and upcoming hardware. The ACES studio was also disbanded before they had a chance to properly update the sim with the next release, while MS and Asobo have said they are in this for the long haul. Of course things can change, but so far it looks promising.

My point was that there were faster cpu's available on the day that the ideal specs were released, so i was surprised that they didn't put the fastest on the spec sheet.

My post was asking if there was a reason they went for an 8 core chip instead of one, already available, with more. Asking if that perhaps the sim is unable to utilise (at present ) those extra cores.

Perhaps this is a question that will be answered once the NDA is over.

Stinger

My point was that there were faster cpu's available on the day that the ideal specs were released, so i was surprised that they didn't put the fastest on the spec sheet.

Ideal just means those are the specs to run the sim as best as possible with the settings maxed out (in theory; will need to confirm when it is launched). The fact that there are better CPUs out there just means the sim doesn't need those to run as best as possible.

When it comes to multi-core support, the question shouldn't be whether it can use all of the cores, but whether it can take advantage of as many cores as it needs in order to run well. Not every task on a computer is suited to using every core available. And then there is the fact that it also needs to be able to run on CPUs with four cores as well as those are still pretty common outside of enthusiast circles.

I forgot to say. The "recommended specs" are fine for running default MSFS at max settings (I guess)... and no addons at all. The thing is that, knowing you're here, it's very possible you want to install some as soon as they're released. For that you'll possibly need an even stronger PC.

Best regards,

Luis Hernández 20px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png20px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png

The only addon i "need" is an Embraer Phenom 300 because my home cockpit is based on that aircraft. While i am waiting i am hoping that the Citation will make a decent alternative.

That said i am sure my wallet will take a bashing on a few addons i would like [emoji4]

As i live in the UK i am hoping that Gary Summons is on the case as far as UK airports are concerned.

Stinger

There’s an interesting interview with Gary Summons here...

https://www.key.aero/article/uk2000-interview-gary-summons

Regards

Steve

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Pico 4  VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit

Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles