FS 2020 SDK for developers?

It seems obvious from post I have seen that question the file format of FS2020 they all get (Locked) and it would violate the NDA.. So it is probably (Obvious) that the new FS is (hard coded) like most games today are.. They are floating all sorts of (Pre order FS2020) without telling us 3rd party developers (Anything at all) So if you are a dev.. (Beware!) and not pre order it yet.. They might leave us in the dark with only some sort of airport tool and some flight plans and do what they want with their missions system flights.. no mission tool.. no FSDS or GMaX or 3DSMax.. Just a thought as I have seen (No) excitement by them about 3rd party devs.. and what we get.. This might be a huge version of MS Flight.. all with nothing but one big .bin hard code.. and good luck.. FS has always survived in huge sales by 3rd party developers to make custom aircraft and scenery.. It causes people to buy the latest MFS when otherwise they might not have.. I hope I am wrong.. But I will wait.. RDJ Simulations.. Thanks

They have been working with over a hundred third party developers already, and there is an SDK. It would be nice to hear about how that SDK will be made available when the sim is released though.

As one point of reference, Mathijs Kok from Aerosoft seems pretty impressed as one of those developers.

https://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?/topic/154700-aerosoft-official-retail-partner-for-microsoft-flight-simulator/&tab=comments#comment-989186

PMDG have also confirmed they will be releasing aircraft for the sim as well.

Yeah I read that thread.. It tells nothing.. You would think this latest generation of MS devs would release at least something on the format.. like the overall file format.. X file or something.. I know bgl is got to be out .. but (What is reverse compat? probably nothing.. Mathijs was probably overwhelmed with it's beauty and felt lucky to be an insider.and that's all. happens to rock star groupies and sport fans all the time.. I say again devs do not be fooled to buy 80 USD on a pre order.. wait and see if all we get is a glorified version of MS flight.. MFS will get a high but later die if they do this

Working with developers sounds suspicious, they may only release an SDK to developers of payware products and as part of the deal make them sell their products as DLC through Xbox Live, therefore taking a piece of the profit from the developers, I maybe wrong though.

New found post.. This sounds like there is an SDK (But it will not be finished and available Aug 18) and another post said that all files are open to edit like CFG's But it is probably obvious there are no (MDL's) Bgl's and it is definitely (Not X-file format ) or (XML) so no (Makemdl) FSDS is out Gmax and 3dsMax probably out.. The way this reads is like it may be a year later before 3rd party will be able to catch on and make freeware or product....this post below tells us that the transformation (Is in a total different format) Of course (That is in a way expected) to get better graphics.. looks like 3rd party are in for a longer wait,, So at least a little light on the subject and patience.. We will all have to (Go to school again)

Post..

Scenery developed UK2000 Scenery has taken to Facebook to share some insight about their current development progress for the all-new Microsoft Flight Simulator. On the post, they seemed surprise by the release date announcement by stating that the SDK for the new simulator is not even complete yet.

Speaking on their Facebook post, UK2000 Scenery said the release is “is far sooner than we would have thought,” before then saying “especially considering the SDK is not complete.”

This is the first time a third-party developer has been quite so open about the behind the scene developments of the new sim. However, Microsoft has said over numerous update posts that they are working closely with third-party developers to get the SDK ready for them to build addons for the new simulator. As recently as June 11th 2020 Microsoft confirmed that SDK was being worked on and said they were making good progress with it.

Commenting on what it is like to work with the new simulator, UK2000 Scenery has said that this is like converting something from “Windows to Linux, it is totally different in every way.” They also said that Microsoft Flight Simulator uses all new modelling formats, AFD structures and a new terrain system meaning the current tools and workflow is very different.

Another post I found was that FSX created aircraft will work but they will look terrible in this sim according to the dev.. This probably just means your FSX aircraft will not look (Screwed up looking) but will look like it does in FSX graphics --but you will be able to fly it in the new 2020 scenery and clouds and stuff but it will not have the newer higher detail (model format graphics) is all.. Maybe that is true.. lot of dev leaks happening now that they know their NDA is about to expire.. wait to see

...I maybe wrong though.

Yep, you would be. Per the latest update:

The Marketplace will operate under an Agency model, which means that you, as the content creator, will set the price for every piece of content you submit. Becoming a partner doesn’t alter your ability to sell your content on your own websites and storefronts. Just like with FSX, you can continue to sell your content outside of our Marketplace. Becoming a Microsoft Flight Simulator Marketplace Partner essentially unlocks another channel for you.

Does anybody know if the new sim can co-exist with the current FSX on the same system ??

Shouldn't be an issue as they are two completely different applications, provided you have enough room for both.

• 1 month later...

Now the new sim is out, and isn't it nice that you don't have to wait for any scenery dev to kick out anything to start using what is looking like top quality scenery? I will wait for them to release the airplanes from IFly, Carenado and others as this gives me time to explore. Did you ever get in a slow moving fixed wing like the ICON and explore? I've been to airports (that I've been to in the real world) and they might not be totally the same, but they are close enough... I have explored many other places already and just having a great time.

Now I'm not putting down third party devs totally, many are good, but the problem I seen with all the other sims is that the quality was so different, everyone was doing things different. Aerosoft Anchorage X was fantasic in P3d but other airport by other companies was just not always as good, like Jetways not working, or something simple...

I hope to see the SDK release soon, but only for aircraft devs... we need lots and I hope people make some good ones... not just jet liners, there are private jets and props.... :)

Happy simming.

I hope to see the SDK release soon, but only for aircraft devs... we need lots and I hope people make some good ones... not just jet liners, there are private jets and props.... :)

Happy simming.

The SDK is already available to everyone with the sim. Enable developer mode in the options, and then it can be downloaded from the Help menu.