Can we have a dedicated VR forum for FS 2020?

Virtual Reality, though to me it's a misnomer. It's an all-enveloping headset that has essentially two mini screens in the headset (one for each eye) to give an impression that you in the middle of whatever is going on with the computer display (aircraft cockpit, in this case). For some of us it's sadly lacking in many ways, while for some other folks it's the best thing since sliced bread.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another dumb question, from one that has been out of sims for a long while. What is VR?

Thanks

Rich

It's the only way to fly. Don't let the haters dissuade you...once you go VR you never go back. You are basically sitting in the cockpit looking around. It is NOT anything like trackir so don't listen to these claims. Try it...it's so good that as good as MSFT 2020 looks, I have zero interest until they release a VR version.

Don't let the haters dissuade you...

Knock it off with the "haters" language and using it to completely disregard opposing points of view. It quite frankly reflects poorly on the person throwing it around. Many people have posted very legitimate opinions on why VR doesn't work for them. That you can't understand them, does not make them haters in any way.

Knock it off with the "haters" language and using it to completely disregard opposing points of view. It quite frankly reflects poorly on the person throwing it around. Many people have posted very legitimate opinions on why VR doesn't work for them. That you can't understand them, does not make them haters in any way.

You're right...haters is too broad a stroke . I will say then don't listen to the clique who have not even tried VR on a good system on other sims that offer it such as aerofly, flyinside, and xplane.

It's the only way to fly. Don't let the haters dissuade you...once you go VR you never go back. You are basically sitting in the cockpit looking around. It is NOT anything like trackir so don't listen to these claims. Try it...it's so good that as good as MSFT 2020 looks, I have zero interest until they release a VR version.

To me it looks dumb and nothing like real life. Nothing to hate other then it’s unrealistic view. But whatever you like I suppose.

I like chilled tequila but some hate it.

To me it looks dumb and nothing like real life. Nothing to hate other then it’s unrealistic view. But whatever you like I suppose.

I like chilled tequila but some hate it.

So staring at monitors surrounded by your basement looks like real life to you? VR is the most realistic flight sim experience available unless you have a full wrap around view home built replica cockpit. By replica I mean you have the actual yoke, throttle body etc and instrumentation of the actual plane you are flying...not just some mashup. This is not debatable it is fact.

So staring at monitors surrounded by your basement looks like real life to you? VR is the most realistic flight sim experience available unless you have a full wrap around view home built replica cockpit.

Apparently no one else can have an opinion other than the same one you have.

Knock it off, kid.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

• Founder
So staring at monitors surrounded by your basement looks like real life to you? VR is the most realistic flight sim experience available unless you have a full wrap around view home built replica cockpit. By replica I mean you have the actual yoke, throttle body etc and instrumentation of the actual plane you are flying...not just some mashup. This is not debatable it is fact.

It's still very much debatable. To be truly realistic VR needs to include a full haptic feedback system, otherwise you're just inside a virtual world that you cannot realistically interact with. At the present state of technology, I'd rather be in a room surrounded by monitors using actual knobs and buttons to interact with the aircraft - to me that would be more realistic.

It's still very much debatable. To be truly realistic VR needs to include a full haptic feedback system, otherwise you're just inside a virtual world that you cannot realistically interact with. At the present state of technology, I'd rather be in a room surrounded by monitors using actual knobs and buttons to interact with the aircraft - to me that would be more realistic.

Interesting point of view and a valid argument. However, I had a full physical panel with 10 working instruments (saitek FIPS) and that was exactly my concern pre VR...BUT now I prefer VR even with the hand controllers over a physical panel because I am learning how each plane actually operates...with my old physical panel it was one size fits all...didn't matter if I flew a cub, Cessna, Mooney or 737...same panel and yoke so not realistic.

..This is not debatable it is fact.

It is VERY debateable - You have your opinion and that is fine but don't tell others who don't agree with you that they are wrong just because you are so stuck on VR, think that it is the only way to use the sim and the only game in town worth having.

Flight simming is a hobby that attracts many different types of people who have their own views on what they want from the hobby and how to achieve that. Some will jump straight in and simply use it to fly from A to B and never explore its deeper contents whilst others will go the whole hog and build a replica cockpit and, yes, SOME will choose to use VR. Ultimately, its the individuals choice.

Being arrogant, deriding those who don't bow down to your views and continually pushing the same rhetoric is not, IMO, the way to go and simply shows a lack of respect for others who enjoy the hobby in their own way - having looked at the VR webpage you linked earlier in the thread this seems to be a re-occurring theme amongst those who post there.

At the end of the day, there are many reasons why people don't use, or want to use, VR for flight simming - get over it and move on.

Regards

Brian

MS need to get the VR right, as I see it most simmers still use VR and their stick setup.

I have tried X-Plane with VR and they went down the whole Thumbstick route which doesn't work for me.

P3D works just about in VR, and then you have DCS which really works well in VR.

At the end of the day with or without VR FS2020 WILL be a game changer, and cross platform with it coming to the Xbox (at last) for the first time...

The way I see it ALL us flight simmers will get THE product we always wanted....

Immersive, no matter what hardware we use!

Edited by fender130173

MS need to get the VR right, as I see it most simmers still use VR and their stick setup.

I have tried X-Plane with VR and they went down the whole Thumbstick route which doesn't work for me.

P3D works just about in VR, and then you have DCS which really works well in VR.

At the end of the day with or without VR FS2020 WILL be a game changer, and cross platform with it coming to the Xbox (at last) for the first time...

The way I see it ALL us flight simmers will get THE product we always wanted....

Immersive, no matter what hardware we use!

I think we use the stick setup because it's more realistic. In the real world you aren't looking at the yoke or throttles...it's all just feel. Especially while landing you just rest your hand on the throttle and make small adjustments.