Totally Lost over MSFS 2020

No, you don't need a subscription to buy or run the sim. I'll try to break this down a bit, as you aren't the only one confused about how it all fits together.

First, while Xbox was originally just the name for Microsoft's gaming console, they have now expanded the brand to cover all of their gaming products, both console and PC.

Second, there are two ways to buy the sim from Microsoft at the moment (they may add Steam and other online store fronts too), along with a boxed edition available in Europe. The first is to go to the Microsoft Store and buy it outright, then download and install it. If you're familiar with Steam, this is the same process. The second option from Microsoft is to sign up for their Xbox Game Pass for PC subscription service. This is to games what Netflix is to movies and TV shows. Game Pass includes access to a library of PC games you can download and run whenever you like. If you aren't into playing other games, purchasing it outright is the best option. You can pre-order it right now through either the Microsoft Store or Xbox apps on Windows 10.

https://www.xbox.com/en-CA/xbox-game-pass/pc-games

Third, for online multiplayer, you will need a free Xbox Live account to join and fly. PC games don't require a paid subscription like the Xbox console does for multiplayer.

I have preordered on the Xbox Game Pass Beta. It cost £1 to join for the first month, and then £3.99 a month after that. I can cancel anytime.

It means I can try it out without the full expense, and if it is OK, I will buy the installer. I have seen some of the scenery, and it looks like Google maps with the 3D turned on, with trees that are just columns rising out of the ground, no trunk, just a block of green rising up to the treetop. It also looks a little dodgy in other areas, where overhangs etc. just produce a cliff face (caves, overhanging clifftops etc.). Hopefully it will have improved since those early vids were out.

To try it out for £5 is reasonable I guess, but after a year I would have paid more than it costs to buy the basic version lol.

The fact it needs a high internet connection also is sort of off-putting, as it might be rubbish to play when internet is not available, so for those in areas where they have slow connections, that also may be an issue.

And no 737! Wow! I have have to "type certify" myself in the Airbus ready for the 320neo - no more flaring on landing! lol :¬)