Big announcement from Microsoft!

Interesting pricing model, I was expecting the scenery streaming resolution/realtime weather/traffic to be factors in the different editions.

As it stands for me I see no compelling reason to go premium, can live without my local heathrow airport.

Would be interested in the 787, but I expect PMDG will come out with a better one before long.

My thoughts too, Iain. Is one out of the extra airports you are likely to use a few times and another modern tubeliner, worth another £50? I'm sure the default Heathrow will suffice for most purposes and my interest is more in older jets - 727's, DC10's, Tristars etc. Now if the bonus aircraft had included a L-1011 I might have been tempted! And while the images and video clips of the included aircraft look to be of a better standard than previous versions (with the Dyson vacuum cleaner jet spool sound), once the add-ons come out they will be left in the hangar.

Vern.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Gaming consoles are the boxes you plug into your TV, like the PlayStations and Xboxes. While earlier consoles were focused entirely on games, that latest generations, especially the Xbox line, are more like specialized entertainment PCs. They support steering wheels, joysticks, throttles, rudder pedals, mice and keyboards and can run other apps besides just games. One of the main differences between the consoles and a traditional PC is that consoles are cheaper and mostly plug and play. You don't need to worry about drivers, Windows settings or tweaking game configurations. The down side is that they are locked down as to what you can install as everything either comes on disc or through the built-in digital store. You can't download something off a random website and run it like you can on a PC, for example.

Regarding the new sim, we only know that it is coming to the current Xbox One and upcoming Xbox Series X consoles. Beyond that they haven't provided any more details, including a release date for the console version. For those looking for a relatively cheap path to running the sim, an Xbox console is certainly worth a look.

Looking forward to being able to do some scenery tours and seat-of-the-pants flying from my sofa, but

can we get decent joysticks/yokes for the xbox one? Doubt it, and can't imagine trying to fly with an xbox controller (done it in hawx, and flying x-wings in star wars - it's just weird)

Iain

AMD Ryzen 5 3600X

AMD RADEON RX 5700XT

Looking forward to being able to do some scenery tours and seat-of-the-pants flying from my sofa, but

can we get decent joysticks/yokes for the xbox one? Doubt it, and can't imagine trying to fly with an xbox controller (done it in hawx, and flying x-wings in star wars - it's just weird)

Yes you can use joysticks with Xbox already, and the Series X will have compatibility with yokes, throttles and pedals eventually.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

That buzz would be wrong. Give the Discovery Episode on Cockpits a watch. And then watch the rest.

Watched it and all the others the day they came out. This cat said there was a change. Figured it was BS ! Thanks !

FSX. As of now I have 3 laptops all utilizing & linked to FSX, 1 - 32" TV for Gages, 40" TV for Main View. Saitek Pro Flight Control System. Am building a new rig and flight deck. Most likely going to X-Plane 11 for Sim. Also might buy MFS2020 for the pretty Pictures.

My thoughts too, Iain. Is one out of the extra airports you are likely to use a few times and another modern tubeliner, worth another £50? I'm sure the default Heathrow will suffice for most purposes and my interest is more in older jets - 727's, DC10's, Tristars etc. Now if the bonus aircraft had included a L-1011 I might have been tempted! And while the images and video clips of the included aircraft look to be of a better standard than previous versions (with the Dyson vacuum cleaner jet spool sound), once the add-ons come out they will be left in the hangar.

I'm with you. I still use FS9 and I didn't like FSX. I only fly the HJG DC9-30 and the HJG B727-100/200. I am assuming that FS2020 will not have those aircraft. I am really not interested in flying an Airbus or the B787 as I like the old way of flying. I'm going to stick with FS9 and all of the great add ons that I have.

Even though those those aircraft are not going to be in the initial release, I suspect the community will see that those aircraft are available in short order. There is a lot of pent up energy in the community, and I suspect people will be eager to populate a new simulator with updated content! It may take a while to get to a Fairchild 428jet(prototype only), but DC-9s and 727s will probably appear quickly!
I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

No Sea Planes. :( Episode 1 has talk of real world water like waves etc. Would be cool to be on a seaplane during a thunderstorm !
FSX. As of now I have 3 laptops all utilizing & linked to FSX, 1 - 32" TV for Gages, 40" TV for Main View. Saitek Pro Flight Control System. Am building a new rig and flight deck. Most likely going to X-Plane 11 for Sim. Also might buy MFS2020 for the pretty Pictures.

Having played Flightsims since 1989 I consider MSFS 2020 is going to be a massive improvement on FSX. My favourite was always FS2002, but that looks very dated now. Each to their own - do not upgrade unless you are prepared to adapt and early adopters have to accept some bugs in the software. But in this and other forums with FS enthusiasts posting, the negativity is very high. I would however point out that Microsoft is not taking away what you already have and enjoy flying with. We all need to embrace all new flightsim developments- it keeps our hobbies alive. I have pre-ordered the premium, because despite a lot of concerns and scepticism that I read, the thrill of flying a new a Microsoft Flight Sim will make all the time and expense worthwhile. Not convinced? I have not noticed alpha testers posting anything other than very positive comments. And there are outstanding video reviews on YouTube. I may take a day off work on 18th August 😁

Hi Andy, you may find that you can actually download it on the 17th! At least that’s what my confirmation email said :)

As an Alpha tester myself, all I can say is you won’t regret it. I can’t wait for the full release.

Regards,

Steve

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Pico 4  VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit

Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles

Thanks for your answer. I like the easy set up the console would give me. I spent a lot of money a few years ago to up grade my computer for "Wings Over Flanders Field". I did not like the game and left sim flying. MS 2020 look very good and I think I would like to try it.

Thank

Rich

Rich is always flying low and fast.

So we've had Alpha and Beta Testers. I guess the next step is Consumer Testers. Thanks to all of you who are the first on your block!!

When it comes to my test, I'll wait till It's known this product isn't another Vega.;)

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Even though those those aircraft are not going to be in the initial release, I suspect the community will see that those aircraft are available in short order. There is a lot of pent up energy in the community, and I suspect people will be eager to populate a new simulator with updated content! It may take a while to get to a Fairchild 428jet(prototype only), but DC-9s and 727s will probably appear quickly!

Then maybe I will look at the new sim if and when the DC9 and B727 are developed. But for now I am happy with FS9 and all of my addons.

You may want to take a closer look at the list of aircraft... ;)

Well looky there the ICON A5... I thought that was a small land plane..... AND I found a FSX download for the plane so I can get used to her !

If available I have started to download a FSX copy of all the planes in MFS2020. Idea is to try them out now and find out what ones i really like then incorporate them into my new Flight Deck so when i pull the trigger on getting MFS2020 im ready.....

Thanks Again Loki !

I am still wondering why the FS2020 team chose to not make Atlanta (KATL) one of the highly detailed airports since it is the world's busiest international as well as domestic airport. I mean the list of other detailed airports in the US like Aspen? Really? How many people have ever flown into Aspen or can even put it on a map?
i7 11700K @ 5.0GHz, ASUS Z590-Plus TUF Gaming, Noctua NH-D15, 2x16GB G.SKILL TridentZ 4000, EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3, Super Flower 850W, SilverStone Redline SST-RL06 PRO case, Samsung 980 2TB M.2 (OS/MSFS), Gigabyte Aorus 48" OLED 4K 120Hz + LG 32" UN32650-W 4K monitors, Logitech Yoke + throttle + CH Pro Pedals

I suspect Aspen was chosen because of the precarious approach and difficult terrain with steep mountains on all sides. It is a challenging airport to fly into. And yes, I could put it on a map, even though it isn't part of the Great Plains where I most often traverse. I do agree, I am very surprised Atlanta didn't make the list as well as DFW.
I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

Flying to the detailed airports like Aspen will be on the short list once I get MFS2020 !

Loki, With the way MS rolled out with the 3 different levels saying you dont have to purchase the deluxe and may upgrade later tell me they will piece meal more planes, detailed airports in future expansion packs. Only time will tell ! Cant wait to see this !

• 3 weeks later...