Big announcement from Microsoft!

Just a note about the questions being asked about the differences in scenery and airports between FSX and the new Flightsimulator (MSFS). In addition to the Discovery Series that was mentioned earlier, YouTube is your friend. There are several postings of comparisons of same airports between the two and a couple include XP11. Interesting viewing.. Also, The Chinese equivalent to You Tube, Bilibili.com, also has more postings that one would suspect some Alpha testers obviously ignored the NDAs. Lots of interesting tidbits. Also noted that in the new FS FAQ, it stated that the basic and deluxe version can be upgraded, however, it will be more cost effective to buy the one with the features you want in the first place. For instance, (and these prices are for illustration only..not the actual upgrade price) if you buy the standard version for $60 you can upgrade to the premium content for $75. you've now spent $135 whereas you could have just bought the premium in the first place for $120.

Also mentioned in the Microsoft posting, the disc version will be only available to European customers. Not sure if that's to do with download speeds in Europe or exactly why. All other locales will require the internet to download.

Interesting times indeed.Seeing how closed Beta is supposed to start by the end of this month, Seems an awfully short time for Beta testing though unless perhaps on August 18th is the start of the open Beta and the RFM might be later in the year. Fair winds........and blue skies..Terry

I9-10850K, Mugen 5 cooler, Gigagbyte Aorus Z490 Master, 2TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2, 1TB Samsung 970 Plus, 2TB Samsung 870evo, Corsair RM-850, G-Skill DDR-4 3600, Lian Li LanCool Mesh, Nvidia 3070Ti, Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo, MFG Crosswind pedals, Win10 Pro

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You guys are so cheap and demanding its a wonder MS even bothers with you. WHO CARES if you have to upgrade to Windows 10??? ASFAIK you can still upgrade for free anyway. Even better just get a dedicated gaming rig. WHO CARES how many planes there are, or airports...I guarantee 99% of you fly ONE airplane out of ONE airport 99% of the time.

With the scenery we are seeing I would buy this (VR version of course) if it had one cessna 172 and one airport.

W10 is crap.

I’m not shelling out for a gaming rig (money is tight thanks to the Wuhan China Virus)

Demanding? No. But a first day purchase? No. There will be bugs and such out of the gate as well, so it’ll be better to wait. My opinion.

CLX - SET Gaming Desktop - Intel Core i9 10850K - 32GB DDR4 3000GHz Memory - GeForce RTX 3060 Ti - 960GB SSD + 4TB HDD - Windows 11 Home

W10 is crap.

I’m not shelling out for a gaming rig

I fully agree, Windows 10 will be a serious drain on the resources of even the best gaming hardware that money can buy. I'll be pre-ordering the new Xbox Series X and running MSFS on that asap - can't wait to get my flight simming away from Windows and PC's with their constant updates and compatibility issues.

Edited by tiger1962

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

That's right, the scenery is completely new for this sim. You might be lucky and have a couple of aircraft which will port over, but even they won't be 100% compatible.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

I don't get that. Have you tried it? Saying "VR isn't my thing" is like saying "a larger monitor isn't my thing...I prefer to have a smaller view when flying."

VR is by far the best way to sim...it's revolutionary. How can some of you just dismiss it?

"Less than two weeks later, however, after hearing feedback from the community as to how important VR is for a flight simulator, the sim’s lead committed ‘we will try our darnedest to make it happen’."

It doesn't make any sense. You all should be going nuts about it...there was enough push back from the sim community to microsoft about adding VR that they are now implementing it...but on this forum there is hardly any talk of it...what gives?

VR is a 3D feature, many cant stand the effects of it.

FSX ACCELERATION, ASUS P5QPL VM EPU-INTEL E8400-3GHZ-DDR2RAM4GO-WINDOWS7SP1 -GT220GEFORCE

if you never wonder about something, its because you know everything....:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

W10 is crap.

I’m not shelling out for a gaming rig (money is tight thanks to the Wuhan China Virus)

Demanding? No. But a first day purchase? No. There will be bugs and such out of the gate as well, so it’ll be better to wait. My opinion.

Its true that buying it the first months could be a head ache with the bugs.

But why do you say W10 is crap ?

FSX ACCELERATION, ASUS P5QPL VM EPU-INTEL E8400-3GHZ-DDR2RAM4GO-WINDOWS7SP1 -GT220GEFORCE

if you never wonder about something, its because you know everything....:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

W10 is crap.

I fully agree, Windows 10 will be a serious drain on the resources of even the best gaming hardware that money can buy. I'll be pre-ordering the new Xbox Series X and running MSFS on that asap - can't wait to get my flight simming away from Windows and PC's with their constant updates and compatibility issues.

All good points actually...I forget what a headache PC's can be what with all the updates that apparently I can't disable in W10???

https://www.easeus.com/todo-backup-resource/how-to-stop-windows-10-from-automatically-update.html#:~:text=Press%20the%20Windows%20logo%20key%20%2B%20R%20then%20type%20gpedit.msc,%22%20%3E%20%22Windows%20Update%22.&text=Select%20%22Disabled%22%20in%20Configured%20Automatic,the%20Windows%20automatic%20update%20feature.

"Understand the limitations of this method. While disabling the automatic update service will temporarily halt any Windows 10 cumulative updates, the service will re-enable itself after a certain amount of time. Here are the directions"

:confused:

I may consider going to the stability of a gaming console for MSFS2020 as well.

Edited by VRdude

It's not clear how older add-ons will run in the sim, if they run at all. There is a FSX flight model compatibility mode, but they haven't said how it works, such as whether end users can just drop in an FSX aircraft fly or it's for developers to port over their aircraft.

Not sure at all about carriers, but nothing has been mentioned yet. As there won't be helicopters on release, I wouldn't expect carriers to be there.

One thing I noted in the aircraft list, there are no regional turboprops. I wish they had a Dash 8-200 for example, to serve a lot of small regional airports.
I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

I suspect that is a nod to P3D which is heavy into that venue. Also, they may be working on supersonic and super cruise flight, which complicates the flight dynamic modeling, to get that correctly modeled with the new engine. Edited by plainsman
I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

My opinion. I have a spare desktop that has W10 installed and the updates cause other non gaming programs to crash.

CLX - SET Gaming Desktop - Intel Core i9 10850K - 32GB DDR4 3000GHz Memory - GeForce RTX 3060 Ti - 960GB SSD + 4TB HDD - Windows 11 Home

I am still quite content with FSX Steam, but WILL be switching to the Premium new FS after it has been out for a few months and the early bugs/glitches get discovered and worked out, as typically happens with any new product.

"Don't believe everything you see on the internet." - Abe Lincoln HP Pavilion Desktop i5-8400@2.8ghz, 16gb RAM, 1TB M.2 SSD, GTX1650 4GB, 300 MBPS internet, 31.5" curved monitor, Logitech yoke-throttle, Flt Vel trim wheel, TFRP rudder pedals, G/M IR headset, Extreme 3D Pro joystick, Wheel Stand Pro S Dlx

Interesting pricing model, I was expecting the scenery streaming resolution/realtime weather/traffic to be factors in the different editions.

As it stands for me I see no compelling reason to go premium, can live without my local heathrow airport.

Would be interested in the 787, but I expect PMDG will come out with a better one before long.

Iain

AMD Ryzen 5 3600X

AMD RADEON RX 5700XT

Some of you guys may be negative or overly critical of, yet to be out there, hopefully fantastic, FS 2020 ... I think it will be an adventure, technically and experientially ...

Hope i dont come across negative, overly critical just cautious and curious. I am wigged to see this puppy on my new system when the build is done ! Even the standard offline version is IMO worth the $60 ! I have been buying MS Flight Sims since FS 1.0. Got almost every edition so I have been thru the promises and let downs. This time I am forced to wait until my new PC's and rig is flight worthy sometime towards the end of the year as my current system falls short..... CANT WAIT !!!!

FSX. As of now I have 3 laptops all utilizing & linked to FSX, 1 - 32" TV for Gages, 40" TV for Main View. Saitek Pro Flight Control System. Am building a new rig and flight deck. Most likely going to X-Plane 11 for Sim. Also might buy MFS2020 for the pretty Pictures.

Hi, I am back into flight sim 2004 again, tried MSX, didn't like it. I got back into flightsim.com. I just saw the coming MS2020 forum. It looks very good, so I am reading about the responses on the forum. The bad comments that was made about windows 10, I just installed W10, loved W7, and the M2020. One of the recent comments was "may go to gaming console". What is a Gaming Console? I spent a lot of money upgrading my computer for "Wings Over Flanders Fields", very disappointed with the game. Been out of sims a number of years. Now health issues and age force me to look for inside interests. MS 2020, looks very good, but I don't want to upgrade again. So What is a Gaming Console?? Sorry if this is a dumb question, humor a old guy.

Thanks

Rich

Rich is always flying low and fast.

Heard a buzz on another site ( Ya I know) that FS2020 will not support multiple screens/monitors/TV's etc like FSX, Steam. P3d.... Any truth to this ? So many if ands or butts.lol....
FSX. As of now I have 3 laptops all utilizing & linked to FSX, 1 - 32" TV for Gages, 40" TV for Main View. Saitek Pro Flight Control System. Am building a new rig and flight deck. Most likely going to X-Plane 11 for Sim. Also might buy MFS2020 for the pretty Pictures.

Heard a buzz on another site ( Ya I know) that FS2020 will not support multiple screens/monitors/TV's etc like FSX, Steam. P3d.... Any truth to this ? So many if ands or butts.lol....

That buzz would be wrong. Give the Discovery Episode on Cockpits a watch. And then watch the rest.

What is a Gaming Console?

Gaming consoles are the boxes you plug into your TV, like the PlayStations and Xboxes. While earlier consoles were focused entirely on games, that latest generations, especially the Xbox line, are more like specialized entertainment PCs. They support steering wheels, joysticks, throttles, rudder pedals, mice and keyboards and can run other apps besides just games. One of the main differences between the consoles and a traditional PC is that consoles are cheaper and mostly plug and play. You don't need to worry about drivers, Windows settings or tweaking game configurations. The down side is that they are locked down as to what you can install as everything either comes on disc or through the built-in digital store. You can't download something off a random website and run it like you can on a PC, for example.

Regarding the new sim, we only know that it is coming to the current Xbox One and upcoming Xbox Series X consoles. Beyond that they haven't provided any more details, including a release date for the console version. For those looking for a relatively cheap path to running the sim, an Xbox console is certainly worth a look.