FSX USA Ground Textures

Looking to download and install the 8 part USA scenery. I noticed most of the file names are the same and of the same size. Do I write over the files? Yes, I will save a back up to another location. Also noticed the Europe files ( 8 parts ) also have file names that are the same. Edited by Nels_Anderson

It would be helpful if you were more specific. Based on your description I cannot figure out what files you are trying to install.

I am starting over with a new computer Rysen 3600 16 gig GTX 950. Don't want to screw this up. I see a lot of files, in general, that are scenery files to download, with file names and extensions already exists in the, my, FSX directory. Sp1 and SP2 are installed. That was just an example. How can you tell if a file is newer than the file you already have? If I download scenery files to FSX, do I overwrite the ones that are there?

Would be helpful if you had named this post differently - File library Hot files will help nobody in the future who may encounter the same issue! USA scenery would have been better!

i5 4690 (350mhz) with Arctic Cooler, 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz, ASUS Rock H97 performance MoBo, MSI Ventus XS OC 1660GTX 6GB, Windows10 64bit, 256GB and 500GB Crucial SSDs

• Founder

OK, I finally figured out what you are referring to.

I can't say this often enough, for people who want help, it would be a really good idea to ask a question that actually makes sense. You initially asked about something you said was in the "Hot Files" list, but was actually in the "Must Have Files" list, two totally different pages. You called it "USA Scenery" when the actual name was "USA Ground Textures". It's awful hard to help when no one can figure out what you are talking about.

But now having found the files, your initial question makes no sense. Each file has a different file name, i.e. usagndp1.zip, usagndp2.zip, etc. So I'm still not sure what your real question is...

Sorry Nels, I was referring to the files, after unzipping, USA Texture files are for the most part the same as what FSX has installed. Named the same, ie, Microsoft Flight simulator X /Scenery/World/Texture/004a2fa1, this is a file that is also on one of the unzipped "USA Ground Textures" any many more. Is it normal when upgrading some scenery texture that I overwrite the same file, as the computer asks, when installing the unzipped files. I am not familiar with how some of you write scenery files. And there lots to download, I pick the ones that are in my area of flying, Is it the norm that a file has been re-coded and named the same, or is the norm that a new file is created.

I know Airplane files are different, Panels have some of the same.

Yea, don't plan to do that. I this instance, I see files that are an upgrade the the existing file structure, and just trying to keep up with this very old program. Don't plan on loading anything that is not in my flight area. Any enhancements to FSX is a good thing. Like Tweaking the FSX.cfg.

I figured I got to keep this going till 2020 is available and the bugs worked out, which might take another year or so.

... ie, Microsoft Flight simulator X /Scenery/World/Texture/004a2fa1, this is a file that is also on one of the unzipped "USA Ground Textures" any many more. Is it normal when upgrading some scenery texture that I overwrite the same file, as the computer asks, when installing the unzipped files.....

IMO/IME there are a number of methods to install scenery and how you do it will depend mostly on what type of scenery you are adding.

In this particular case, where you adding new global textures there are two methods that will work.

Method 1 - this is basically what you have done already - overwriting the original default files. Ideally, if you use this method you should backup the original files so that you can restore them if the new scenery files cause an issue or are not to your liking. Failure to backup the files make it harder to return FSX back to its original state if necessary - your only options without backup files is to either attempt a repair, which is likely to fail and/or may make other changes that damage/destroy any other addons that you have, or to do a full un-install and then re-install.

Method 2- Instead of physically replacing the default files create a new holding folder for the new scenery. This folder can be be located within FSX or outside of FSX. Create a Scenery subfolder and a Texture subfolder within the new folder and then place the appropriate files into the appropriate subfolder (i.e files with a .bgl extension into the scenery folder and .bmp, .dds, .agn etc) into the Texture folder). Activate the new folder within FSX as normal. I would also move it down the Priority Listing so that it sits ABOVE the default FSX scenery entries but BELOW any other addon scenery you may have..

Regards

Brian

IMO/IME there are a number of methods to install scenery and how you do it will depend mostly on what type of scenery you are adding.

In this particular case, where you adding new global textures there are two methods that will work.

Method 1 - this is basically what you have done already - overwriting the original default files. Ideally, if you use this method you should backup the original files so that you can restore them if the new scenery files cause an issue or are not to your liking. Failure to backup the files make it harder to return FSX back to its original state if necessary - your only options without backup files is to either attempt a repair, which is likely to fail and/or may make other changes that damage/destroy any other addons that you have, or to do a full un-install and then re-install.

Method 2- Instead of physically replacing the default files create a new holding folder for the new scenery. This folder can be be located within FSX or outside of FSX. Create a Scenery subfolder and a Texture subfolder within the new folder and then place the appropriate files into the appropriate subfolder (i.e files with a .bgl extension into the scenery folder and .bmp, .dds, .agn etc) into the Texture folder). Activate the new folder within FSX as normal. I would also move it down the Priority Listing so that it sits ABOVE the default FSX scenery entries but BELOW any other addon scenery you may have..

Thanks Longbreak, That makes it easier to understand.