No Wind in FSX Weather

Art_P

Using the default FSX weather engine to create user-defined weather, I am unable to get anything except wind calm. Clouds, visability, etc display as defined, but there is no wind. Opening the weather window reveals wind calm in current conditions. Advanced settings shows what was entered, and returning to the initial weather window then shows those settings in current conditions. Close the weather window and there is no wind in the sim. Open the weather window and it shows wind calm under current conditions again. Any solution?

Asus Prime Z490-P motherboard, Intel i7-10700K CPU, 32GB DDR4 3200 memory, GeForce RTX 2070-8GB video, 1TB M.2 SSD, Windows 10-64 bit, Acer 23"WS LCD and Benq 19" LCD, Logitech Flight Yoke, Thrustmaster Pedals, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro Joystick, TrackIR 5, MSFS Deluxe and FSX Deluxe, UTX-USA2, UTX-TAC, GEX-NA, ASN, WOAI

You might be missing a wind layer.

Working with weather, click on the advanced weather tab. Then, on the next screen click on the wind tab.

There you can set one or even multiple layers of wind.

Make certain the wind layer covers the altitude that you want it to.

That might be it.

You might be missing a wind layer.

Working with weather, click on the advanced weather tab. Then, on the next screen click on the wind tab.

There you can set one or even multiple layers of wind.

Make certain the wind layer covers the altitude that you want it to.

That might be it.

Thanks, but all the steps were taken to set up the user-defined weather under advanced weather that included defining the surface wind, which is the minimum layer allowed. After your comment I decided to add a winds aloft layer to see if it made any difference. What I am experiencing now indicates that adding winds aloft might solve the issue of no surface wind.

Asus Prime Z490-P motherboard, Intel i7-10700K CPU, 32GB DDR4 3200 memory, GeForce RTX 2070-8GB video, 1TB M.2 SSD, Windows 10-64 bit, Acer 23"WS LCD and Benq 19" LCD, Logitech Flight Yoke, Thrustmaster Pedals, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro Joystick, TrackIR 5, MSFS Deluxe and FSX Deluxe, UTX-USA2, UTX-TAC, GEX-NA, ASN, WOAI

I always found the manual editing of weather elements never worked exactly right for some reason. Sometimes it would though, but I can't remember how I got it to do what I wanted. Case in point, I just wanted to practice cross wind landings and sometimes I got the wind to do what I wanted and other times it was a PITA.

By in large, if you have a dedicated weather engine like AS16 then you can just load up at a location that has the weather you're looking for using this website that the owner shared here on this forum. https://metarsearch.org/

I know that's not great in terms of having your own defined weather at an aerodrome your familiar with, but it's all I got based on my experience with the manual editing of weather elements in FSX.

By in large, if you have a dedicated weather engine like AS16 then you can just load up at a location that has the weather you're looking for[/url]

I have been using AS Next in that manner, but I have problems with it always generating patches of clouds at my altitude when there are none in the metar. HiFi has been unable to give me a solution other than re-installing FSX from scratch, which I am unwilling to do.

As far as the FSX default weather, I'm hoping it is going to now work as desired as long as I define winds aloft in addition to surface wind.

Come to think of it, can't you use AS to create the weather you wish? I never tried that myself.

Yes, and I tried it, but I still get the patches of clouds at my flight altitude even though I didn't define them.