Testing out the Cirrus SR22

It's been a while since I've done any flying, but I picked up the Cirrus SR22 during the recent Carenado sale, so I decided to do a test flight from New Garden Airport (N57) in Toughkenamon, PA to Ocean City Municipal Airport in Ocean City, Maryland. Tropical storm Fay is quickly approaching the Ocean City area so clouds were plentiful, but thankfully we beat the rain and the wind. Here are a few shots of the flight.

Flying down the Delaware side of the Delaware River. Pennsylvania is in the back, New Jersey is under the left wing and Delaware is under the right wing

SR22_2.jpg

The cloud layer is starting to thicken as we continue down the Delaware River

SR22_1.jpg

Trying to find the runway through the clouds

SR22_3.jpg

As you can see from the clouds, we didn't beat the storm by much

SR22_4.jpg

As far as the plane goes, I like it so far. Taxiing using the differential braking is tough, but otherwise I think the SR22 is pretty well done. Hopefully I'll have some more screenshots for you guys soon. Thanks for viewing!

Ryzen 5 3600X | RTX 2060 | 32 GB 3200 G.Skill RAM | 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe M.2 SSD

Awesome pics of the Cirrus. You shouldn't need differential braking with that aircraft...not unless Carenado fouled that up, too :P

JOE- Asus P8Z68- V Pro; CPU: Intel i7-2600K 3.4ghz OC'd 4.6Ghz,

8G Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR3-1600, EVGA 1080Ti 11G ACX Cooler

Samsung 500G OS drive, 3 WD 1T Raptor HDD

Looking good! What weather engine do you use?

Senior Rookie Bragware: FSX Gold - Acceleration | HP Omen Obelisk Desktop | Intel Core i7 3.2 Ghz |16GB | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 | 1TB HD | 256 GB SSD (Gaming Computer)

REX Worldwide Airports HD

AS16 + ASCA

ORBX Global BASE

ORBX Freeware Airports

ORBX HD Trees

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Awesome pics of the Cirrus. You shouldn't need differential braking with that aircraft...not unless Carenado fouled that up, too :P

Awesome plane and pics. Carenado actually did it right. The SR22 does have a free castoring nose wheel in real life and differential steering is needed at lower taxi speeds. Works really good with rudder pedals.

John Cottreau

Edited by johncott

Unfortunately Carenado doesn't do most of their aircraft correctly...in so many ways. Differential braking is not needed in MOST smaller aircraft like Cirrus. Perhaps Carenado made this a must but in real life this isn't a must...which is what I was referring to. Certainly some heavier singles need a bit of airflow over the rudder before taxi to get rudder effectiveness on the roll, but once that has been established, differential braking shouldn't be the be all and the end all to controlling the aircraft on the ground.

JOE- Asus P8Z68- V Pro; CPU: Intel i7-2600K 3.4ghz OC'd 4.6Ghz,

8G Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR3-1600, EVGA 1080Ti 11G ACX Cooler

Samsung 500G OS drive, 3 WD 1T Raptor HDD

Unfortunately Carenado doesn't do most of their aircraft correctly...in so many ways. Differential braking is not needed in MOST smaller aircraft like Cirrus. Perhaps Carenado made this a must but in real life this isn't a must...which is what I was referring to. Certainly some heavier singles need a bit of airflow over the rudder before taxi to get rudder effectiveness on the roll, but once that has been established, differential braking shouldn't be the be all and the end all to controlling the aircraft on the ground.

My point was Carenado got it right and stand by that statement. I've flown the Realair Legacy with the castoring enabled, the Carenado SR22 and the Alabeo C400 which also both have castoring nosewheels and they behave the same. As you mentioned, one you have some momentum you can use the rudder for taxiing down a straight taxi way or down a runway. The three planes mentioned will do that.

To make a sharp turn like doing a 180 degree turn at the end runway or a 90 degree from a taxi way on to a runway, you will need to use differential braking as would be the case in real life and these planes will do that as well. Not picking sides, Carenado vs whoever, just giving credit where it is due.

Cheers,

John Cottreau

Looking good! What weather engine do you use?

Thanks, David! I use Active Sky 16 with textures from REX-4. Thanks for the comments everyone!

Ryzen 5 3600X | RTX 2060 | 32 GB 3200 G.Skill RAM | 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe M.2 SSD

Thanks, David! I use Active Sky 16 with textures from REX-4. Thanks for the comments everyone!

Thanks, I use AS16 but not the REX textures

Senior Rookie Bragware: FSX Gold - Acceleration | HP Omen Obelisk Desktop | Intel Core i7 3.2 Ghz |16GB | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 | 1TB HD | 256 GB SSD (Gaming Computer)

REX Worldwide Airports HD

AS16 + ASCA

ORBX Global BASE

ORBX Freeware Airports

ORBX HD Trees

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]