C152 hops on runway

jkeim

Yeah, it's either the aforementioned contact points or you're simply coming in too hot, i.e too fast. It'll happen to me in my F-22 every now and then since I have no idea what vref speeds to use based on fuel weight, etc for this model. I just use the poor man's educated guess based on the AOA (Angle of Attack) indicator. Probably something you never want to do in real life, but in the Sim it suffices. LOL

I can tell you that in a Cessna the air speed indicator (IAS) has color bands around the dial which dictates your flap settings. I don't know what each color means for the flap schedule, but if you slow down enough withen that first color band you probably would be at full flaps by this time. That's just my guess. If you do this you may not bounce on down the runway again. But as mentioned, it could be a contact points issue. Do you have the file name for this plane here in the library?

The airspeed indicator color arcs are pretty simple. The white arc is the flap operating range, with the bottom of that arc being the calibrated airspeed (not indicated) for full flap stall speed (VS0), and the top being the max speed at which you should deploy the flaps (VFE). The green arc is the normal operating range for the aircraft, with the bottom of the green arc being no flap stall speed (VS1), the yellow arc is caution, indicating don't operate in that range in anything but smooth air (risks overstressing the aircraft) and the red line is VNE (Never Exceed speed).

Also, on a twin engine aircraft, the red line near the bottom of the green arc is VMC, or Minimum Controllable airspeed with the critical engine out, while the blue line is VYSE, the best Single Engine rate of climb speed.

Jet aircraft have a different set of markings, though, and need both an airspeed indicator and a machmeter.

Edited by lnuss

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

Thanks for that bit of information. I have always wondered what the range colors meant and just wasn't sure. I copied your text to a notepad file on my desktop so I can drill the information into my memory.

I downloaded the Just Flight C-152 and on loading it was sitting on it's tail. Re-Loaded=same thing. So I took a look, made a couple of changes, and that fixed the 'tail strike' on load.

Just Flight Cessna 152-F : FSX : 20July09 : Chuck B ('Napamule')

------------------ (Engine) ---------------------------------------------------------------

Engine.0= 2.400, 0.000, 0.000 //Modified

//

//Engine.0 = -2.4, 0.0, 0.0 //Original

--------------------- (Fuel) ----------------------------------------------------------------

LeftMain= -4.800, -4.400, -0.400, 12.000, 0.000 //Modified

RightMain= -4.800, 4.400, -0.400, 12.000, 0.000

//

//LeftMain= -7.800, -5.800, -0.800, 12.000, 0.000 //Original

//RightMain= -7.800, 5.800, -0.800, 12.000, 0.000

------------------ (Brakes) -----------------------------------------------------------------

differential_braking_scale= 0.800

Here is how it looked with light to mark the positions of fuel and engine.

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Thanks for this napamule2 i had the same problem!

i5 4690 (350mhz) with Arctic Cooler, 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz, ASUS Rock H97 performance MoBo, MSI Ventus XS OC 1660GTX 6GB, Windows10 64bit, 256GB and 500GB Crucial SSDs

I downloaded this same aircraft, flew great, but, from a cosmetic standpoint, it just doesn't look right from the side view, almost like it is bent up just behind the rear glass!

If you continue to have problems with this download, there is a download update by Bob Chicilo out there that is pretty nice. Comes with a yellow paint and one with a red paint! I'll see if I can find the file name and then add it to this post!

FSX - FSX General Aviation

FSX Cessna 150 Update

[ Download | View ]

Name: cessna150fsxup.zip

Size: 23,544,269 Date: 07-07-2017 Downloads: 1,144

FSX Cessna 150 Update. This is an update for FSX of the C150 by A.F. Scrub. I have given it a different 2D panel, got the minipanel working, and updated the flight dynamics. The original 2D panel is still there for those who like it better, and yes it has a working VC. By Bob Chicilo.

More Details

Good luck, the 150/152 was a great flying machine! Many hours logged, including myself! I rented back in 1966 for $9/hr wet, can't bring that back today@!:rolleyes:

Rick :cool::cool:

Edited by Downwind66

I'm not sure that jkeim got a straight answer to the problem, which is one I've noticed, and on other aircraft as well. When the 'view' is changed to show the aircraft from outside, it does a little double or triple hop before settling down. Nothing to do with landing or speeds - it happens when the a/c is at rest. Can be any size of a/c. I can't remember if it used to happen on FSX before I moved to Steam.

From the OP's description, it sounded like when he hits "Fly Now" and his aircraft appears on the runway.

I have had some aircraft that would not stop bouncing or jumping around until some MOI adjustments were made in [weights_and_balance] section.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Chuck, thank you for an in-depth examination of the issues the OP mentioned. Your visual explanation was very good, easy to follow. I, for one, d/l this same aircraft and have the same values as your original BUT, I don't seem to have any issues that others have mentioned. I even filled the tanks and seats to the max no jumping around. The only issue I have is that I haven't been able to check each mag. They seem to be either both ON or both OFF. This is a good stable platform that takes me back some 40 years ago IRL. It's a very good representation of a flight school staple. Anyone on the fence, an excellent low and slow beginner airplane....Terry Edited by simtech95209
additional info

I9-10850K, Mugen 5 cooler, Gigagbyte Aorus Z490 Master, 2TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2, 1TB Samsung 970 Plus, 2TB Samsung 870evo, Corsair RM-850, G-Skill DDR-4 3600, Lian Li LanCool Mesh, Nvidia 3070Ti, Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo, MFG Crosswind pedals, Win10 Pro

Happens frequently on my FSX deluxe also ground vehicles too - they all settle down eventually tho

i5 4690 (350mhz) with Arctic Cooler, 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz, ASUS Rock H97 performance MoBo, MSI Ventus XS OC 1660GTX 6GB, Windows10 64bit, 256GB and 500GB Crucial SSDs

+1

Chuck, thank you for an in-depth examination of the issues the OP mentioned. Your visual explanation was very good, easy to follow. I, for one, d/l this same aircraft and have the same values as your original BUT, I don't seem to have any issues that others have mentioned. I even filled the tanks and seats to the max no jumping around. The only issue I have is that I haven't been able to check each mag. They seem to be either both ON or both OFF. This is a good stable platform that takes me back some 40 years ago IRL. It's a very good representation of a flight school staple. Anyone on the fence, an excellent low and slow beginner airplane....Terry

I use this in FSX and FSX-SE, and fortunately have never encountered these problems, I

do have accident and damage turned off at the moment, don't know whether this makes

a difference, and I did come across this piece of info, dont know if it may help:

-----------How to fix tail contact point glitch-----------

You may have noticed the Just Flight Cessna 152 cannot pitch over 10deg on the ground

before a spark appears 6ft behind the back end of the plane in a "tailstrike" despite

the tail being far from the ground. This can be fixed in the aircraft.cfg by scrolling

down to the [contact_points] section (about 2/3 way into the file),

find the line:

"point.5 = 2, -22.29, 0.00, -0.65, 1200, 0, 0.000, 0.0, 0.000, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 9"

The only number that matters here is "-22.29". Change that to "-16.29" and the problem

is fixed.

-----------How to fix alieron oversensitivity-------------

Some people complain that the roll on the Just Flight C152 is too sensitive. If you find

that so, in the aircraft.cfg scroll to [flight_tuning] and change the "aileron_effectiveness"

from 1.0 to a smaller number. 0.7 works for me.

As far as I know, these fixes have already been applied, and I fly this ac a lot and love it,

and to me, it's a good representation of this great little trainer, I have a lot of hours in RWF

Cessna 152s, and it brings back many happy memories:)

Just my thoughts, not wanting to start an argument:D

Cheers Richard

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Intel Core i7-4770K CPU Overclocked @ 4.60 GHz (Hyperthreading off) Cooler Master Liquid Cooling System 16 GB G-Skill DDR3 Nvidia GeForce GTX1050Ti 4 GB Graphics Card 500GB WD Blue 3D SSD SATA III x4 Creative Sound Z Ultra High-Performance Sound Card 5.1Ch 24BitAvermedia HD-C985 video capture card CH Yoke and Rudder Deepcool Tesseract Mid Tower PC Case NZXT Grid+ V2 Fan Controller + 3 case fans Windows10 64 Professional FS9 - FSX -FSX-SE Track Hat

i7-4770K 4.60 GHz (Hyperthreading off) Liquid Cooling 16GB G-Skill DDR3 GeForce GTX1050Ti 4GB 500GB WD Blue 3D SSD SATA III x4 Creative Sound Z Sound Card 5.1Ch 24BitAvermedia video capture card CH Yoke and Rudder NZXT Fan Controller Windows10 64 Prof FS9 - FSX -FSX-SE Track Hat

If you have Crash Detection turned off then you don't EVEN need the type 2 'CONTACT' pts (or, SCRAPES) and I routinely comment them out by placing '//' before [point.x]=2 lines.

They tried to prevent it from tipping on it's tail by using the scrape point? HaHa. What they needed to do is 'fix' the bad reference point. Modelers don't know flight dynamics. So it's par for the course.

No airplane should tip onto it's tail when loaded. If it does then something (can be a combination of wrong code or values - which - by the way - INTERACT) is absolutely wrong. You can also 'tame' the ailreon 'sensitivity' (also a 'model' problem?) by increasing the 'roll' moment of inertia value as a work around. Given enough time (week?) you can fix most airplane problems - if you know what to do.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).