Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: FSX is after all - a Game. Where is the SECRETS document?

Default FSX is after all - a Game. Where is the SECRETS document?

GO AROUND.

So, no, I'm not going around for the 4th time.

If I were in a multi-player environment, I could understand some amount of random badness since humans create that sort of thing. But, this is a computer program. I'm the only one in it. No other real people. A computer program that continues to stick airplanes in places that cause me to GO AROUND.

The only thing I can think of, is that some programmer, or staff of project managers and programmers had that functionality put in place for the purpose of "teaching" me something. I have to believe that. Because, programming such hatefulness into the product does not enhance the worth of the Game. So what am I being taught?

What sort of misbehaving bad-pilot thing have I tripped over to cause that code branch to be executed?
    What is the point of teaching me a lesson if I cannot associate the punishment with the crime?

How about the half dozen flights in a row where ATC refused to give me a runway with a localizer? What revenge are they invoking in that case?

This game has been around long enough that somebody, by now, must have compiled a list of causes and effects. "if you do this, then it will cause the program to teach you a lesson."
    Alternatively, "if the program starts doing this to you, it is because you did this or that ..."

I didn't buy the thing so it could make me miserable. If I am being "bad-pilot," just say so and be done with it. OK ?

Does someone have info on these matters? How about an alternate viewpoint I am not giving credit to ?

Happy Flying.

My philosophy was to ignore the "Go Around" and just land my airplane. 99% of the time the ai aircraft that landed in front of me had pulled off the runway before I touched down, so no harm, no foul. What's so bad about a runway without a localizer? Were they making you do a visual landing? It's good practice!
    Mr Zippy Sent from my keyboard using "Whackamole", NudgeAKey + 2 Fingers

No flight Sim installed until I get a new computer.

You’re from Texas. First problem.

John - Having a bad hair day are we? Yes, they call flight simulator a game, but some of us can be quite creative and use it as a sim!

I agree with getting upset when you are told to go around. Just this afternoon, I was approaching Raleigh Durham airport from the southeast, cleared to RWY 5L. Okay, no problems yet, off in the distance, I see a Cessna also approaching RWY 5L, no mention that I would more than likely have to deal with that soon! Now, mind you, this Cessna is approaching the airport at approximately,let's say
    90-100 KIAS, I am approaching in an Airbus A340 at 150 KIAS, I am cleared to land RWY 5, follow the aircraft on final! We are about 7-8 miles out, now who do you think is going to get there first? ME, that's who! I pass the Cessna like he was standing still, making a picture perfect approach, when ATC tells me to "Go Around!" I, too, John, am starting to have a bad hair day, and I don't have much left in that department. So, what do I do? Yep, John, it's just a game, so they say! I make the decision I am going to land this bird NOW! Okay, here's what happened...............I land, and ATC says "French Line 448, you were not cleared to land, CLEAR THE RUNWAY! Okay, cool, that's what I wanted to do all along! As soon as I cleared the runway, ATC calmly tells me to contact ground control on 121.7! AND, no more mention of me being a bad boy, no mention they were going to pull my license and spank me like my parents have never spanked me before! NO, I am headed back to takeoff from RWY 5L, heading back to Charleston, SC were I began this trip. WOW, these guys in Raleigh "forgive and forget" very quickly as I am being treated very good in what I am wanting to do! Forget the issue of landing without clearance, they have gotten over that!

The point of it all, John, it is a game. These things will happen and you will have to make the decision of how you are going to react to it. DO NOT, let it ruin your day to the point you want to kick the dog, throw things at your wife because she politely asks you what you would like for dinner! It is a game, it will not ruin your day, unless you allow it to ruin your day. You will not lose your license (if you're fortunate enough to have one), they will not fine you, they will not spank you or anything that will make you feel like you have committed a crime.

Flight Simulator is a game. It is what it is! Most importantly, it is something to be enjoyed, entertainment, if you will, but definitely not something that is going to ruin your day!

Enjoy the sim John! These people have more than likely been programmed to "Be out to get you!"
    Naw, you're better that that! Enjoy the sim John. Some day down the road, some newbie will post on here about his awful day of having to "Go Around!" Then, John, you can have a laugh also, and try to calm him down over Flight Simulator! And remember, it's just a game John!

Rick

5. Default

I'll go around all day in the sim. No harm, no foul, and most importantly, no money lost.
    When I was working on my Private, I was usually flying with 12 other Cessnas in the pattern and I was the ONLY native English speaker.... And this was in Tennessee! Uncontrolled airport, international flight school, 90 degree days, expensive avgas! Constantly on the lookout for some wannabe hotshot rookie non English speaker flying under me on final to get to the runway!

GO AROUND.
    You're expecting real life perfection (or nearly so) of ATC from an inexpensive program that some call a game and some call a simulator (ALL programs have bugs). And it IS a simulator of flight (not perfect, but not bad), but it is NOT a program that can perfectly imitate humans (ATC). It has MANY flaws in ATC, none placed there to tell you that you are
    being "bad-pilot,"
    It's merely that attempting to deal with the myriad possible situations in aviation isn't really possible to a program running on a PC, programmed to sell at a low cost. Even multi-billion-dollar computers can't match human capability. Human abilities (ATC in real world) are infinitely more complex than that. So sometimes you get a reasonable imitation of ATC and often you encounter something that the programmers didn't foresee in just that way and the program, being extremely stupid, can't adapt. Again, computers and computer programs are not very smart, and certainly are nowhere nearly as adaptable or smart as humans. So understand that it's not the programmers targeting you, it's just that they didn't have the time, money and resources to foresee every possible combination of events in such a complex situation. I marvel that they are able to handle so much of it so well, in spite of the many faults in the program.

How about an alternate viewpoint I am not giving credit to ?
    So when you encounter a situation that seems wrong to you, just tell yourself, "dumb computer" and go on with life. YOU are the only human involved, so YOU need to be the one who applies those smarts built in to every human and adapt to a less than perfect situation -- the computer and it's program are TOTALLY unable to do that.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:
    Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

Default As you quite rightly say...

..You are the only human, so any errors are yours. ALL the anomalies with ATC are long-since espoused. And solutions found by other humans.
    Learn a lesson

I concur with Mr. Zippy. After I do all this planning to line up and configured for landing, I'll be damned if I'm going around. So I land and get chastised by an imaginary ATC for "Not being cleared to land". My immediate response is "So sue me".

9. Default

FSUPIC Traffic Zapper. Only wish I had one for real life during interstate rush hour traffic!
    Gigabyte GA-X99 Gaming G1, i7-5960X, Noctua NH-D14, Crucial Ballistix Elite 64Gb, Nvidia GTX Titan X, Creative ZxR, Ableconn PEXM2-130, WD Black SN750 250Gb & 2Tb NVMe/Gold 10Tb HDD, Sony BDU-X10S BD-ROM, PC Power & Cooling 1200w, Cosmos C700M, Noctua iPPC 140mm x6, Logitech M570/K800, WinX64 7 Ultimate/10 Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Hossfly68 View Post
    I'll go around all day in the sim. No harm, no foul, and most importantly, no money lost.
    When I was working on my Private, I was usually flying with 12 other Cessnas in the pattern and I was the ONLY native English speaker.... And this was in Tennessee! Uncontrolled airport, international flight school, 90 degree days, expensive avgas! Constantly on the lookout for some wannabe hotshot rookie non English speaker flying under me on final to get to the runway!
    KMBT? Sounds a lot like KMBT. I love listening to students flying around on my scanner.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast