FSX is after all - a Game. Where is the SECRETS document?

Rebrecs

GO AROUND.

So, no, I'm not going around for the 4th time.

If I were in a multi-player environment, I could understand some amount of random badness since humans create that sort of thing. But, this is a computer program. I'm the only one in it. No other real people. A computer program that continues to stick airplanes in places that cause me to GO AROUND.

The only thing I can think of, is that some programmer, or staff of project managers and programmers had that functionality put in place for the purpose of "teaching" me something. I have to believe that. Because, programming such hatefulness into the product does not enhance the worth of the Game. So what am I being taught?

What sort of misbehaving bad-pilot thing have I tripped over to cause that code branch to be executed?

What is the point of teaching me a lesson if I cannot associate the punishment with the crime?

How about the half dozen flights in a row where ATC refused to give me a runway with a localizer? What revenge are they invoking in that case?

This game has been around long enough that somebody, by now, must have compiled a list of causes and effects. "if you do this, then it will cause the program to teach you a lesson."

Alternatively, "if the program starts doing this to you, it is because you did this or that ..."

I didn't buy the thing so it could make me miserable. If I am being "bad-pilot," just say so and be done with it. OK ?

Does someone have info on these matters? How about an alternate viewpoint I am not giving credit to ?

Happy Flying.

My philosophy was to ignore the "Go Around" and just land my airplane. 99% of the time the ai aircraft that landed in front of me had pulled off the runway before I touched down, so no harm, no foul. What's so bad about a runway without a localizer? Were they making you do a visual landing? It's good practice! ;)

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

John - Having a bad hair day are we? Yes, they call flight simulator a game, but some of us can be quite creative and use it as a sim!

I agree with getting upset when you are told to go around. Just this afternoon, I was approaching Raleigh Durham airport from the southeast, cleared to RWY 5L. Okay, no problems yet, off in the distance, I see a Cessna also approaching RWY 5L, no mention that I would more than likely have to deal with that soon! Now, mind you, this Cessna is approaching the airport at approximately,let's say

90-100 KIAS, I am approaching in an Airbus A340 at 150 KIAS, I am cleared to land RWY 5, follow the aircraft on final! We are about 7-8 miles out, now who do you think is going to get there first? ME, that's who! I pass the Cessna like he was standing still, making a picture perfect approach, when ATC tells me to "Go Around!" I, too, John, am starting to have a bad hair day, and I don't have much left in that department. So, what do I do? Yep, John, it's just a game, so they say! I make the decision I am going to land this bird NOW! Okay, here's what happened...............I land, and ATC says "French Line 448, you were not cleared to land, CLEAR THE RUNWAY! Okay, cool, that's what I wanted to do all along! As soon as I cleared the runway, ATC calmly tells me to contact ground control on 121.7! AND, no more mention of me being a bad boy, no mention they were going to pull my license and spank me like my parents have never spanked me before! NO, I am headed back to takeoff from RWY 5L, heading back to Charleston, SC were I began this trip. WOW, these guys in Raleigh "forgive and forget" very quickly as I am being treated very good in what I am wanting to do! Forget the issue of landing without clearance, they have gotten over that!

The point of it all, John, it is a game. These things will happen and you will have to make the decision of how you are going to react to it. DO NOT, let it ruin your day to the point you want to kick the dog, throw things at your wife because she politely asks you what you would like for dinner! It is a game, it will not ruin your day, unless you allow it to ruin your day. You will not lose your license (if you're fortunate enough to have one), they will not fine you, they will not spank you or anything that will make you feel like you have committed a crime.

Flight Simulator is a game. It is what it is! Most importantly, it is something to be enjoyed, entertainment, if you will, but definitely not something that is going to ruin your day!

Enjoy the sim John! These people have more than likely been programmed to "Be out to get you!"

Naw, you're better that that! Enjoy the sim John. Some day down the road, some newbie will post on here about his awful day of having to "Go Around!" Then, John, you can have a laugh also, and try to calm him down over Flight Simulator! And remember, it's just a game John! :rolleyes:

Rick :cool::cool:

I'll go around all day in the sim. No harm, no foul, and most importantly, no money lost.

When I was working on my Private, I was usually flying with 12 other Cessnas in the pattern and I was the ONLY native English speaker.... And this was in Tennessee! Uncontrolled airport, international flight school, 90 degree days, expensive avgas! Constantly on the lookout for some wannabe hotshot rookie non English speaker flying under me on final to get to the runway!

GO AROUND.

You're expecting real life perfection (or nearly so) of ATC from an inexpensive program that some call a game and some call a simulator (ALL programs have bugs). And it IS a simulator of flight (not perfect, but not bad), but it is NOT a program that can perfectly imitate humans (ATC). It has MANY flaws in ATC, none placed there to tell you that you are

being "bad-pilot,"

It's merely that attempting to deal with the myriad possible situations in aviation isn't really possible to a program running on a PC, programmed to sell at a low cost. Even multi-billion-dollar computers can't match human capability. Human abilities (ATC in real world) are infinitely more complex than that. So sometimes you get a reasonable imitation of ATC and often you encounter something that the programmers didn't foresee in just that way and the program, being extremely stupid, can't adapt. Again, computers and computer programs are not very smart, and certainly are nowhere nearly as adaptable or smart as humans. So understand that it's not the programmers targeting you, it's just that they didn't have the time, money and resources to foresee every possible combination of events in such a complex situation. I marvel that they are able to handle so much of it so well, in spite of the many faults in the program.

How about an alternate viewpoint I am not giving credit to ?

So when you encounter a situation that seems wrong to you, just tell yourself, "dumb computer" and go on with life. YOU are the only human involved, so YOU need to be the one who applies those smarts built in to every human and adapt to a less than perfect situation -- the computer and it's program are TOTALLY unable to do that.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

I concur with Mr. Zippy. After I do all this planning to line up and configured for landing, I'll be damned if I'm going around. So I land and get chastised by an imaginary ATC for "Not being cleared to land". My immediate response is "So sue me".

FSUPIC Traffic Zapper. Only wish I had one for real life during interstate rush hour traffic!
Gigabyte GA-X99 Gaming G1, i7-5960X, Noctua NH-D14, Crucial Ballistix Elite 64Gb, Nvidia GTX Titan X, Creative ZxR, Ableconn PEXM2-130, WD Black SN750 250Gb & 2Tb NVMe/Gold 10Tb HDD, Sony BDU-X10S BD-ROM, PC Power & Cooling 1200w, Cosmos C700M, Noctua iPPC 140mm x6, Logitech M570/K800, WinX64 7 Ultimate/10 Pro

I'll go around all day in the sim. No harm, no foul, and most importantly, no money lost.

When I was working on my Private, I was usually flying with 12 other Cessnas in the pattern and I was the ONLY native English speaker.... And this was in Tennessee! Uncontrolled airport, international flight school, 90 degree days, expensive avgas! Constantly on the lookout for some wannabe hotshot rookie non English speaker flying under me on final to get to the runway!

KMBT? Sounds a lot like KMBT. I love listening to students flying around on my scanner.

The secret document is highly classified TOP SECRET information and not for public consumption. It is a PDF file that's been encrypted with ChaCha20 and a hash of Argon2id. Only I, and I myself manged to crack this PDF with Hashcat running a cluster powered by Titan GPUs using Hashtopolis. :D

I kid, I kid, the nerd in me is cuckoo for computer crap.

Yeah, I just ignore the very mundane ATC. It is my biggest complainant about FS. Either FS2004 or FSX. I'm hoping "FS2020" has a more robust and realistic ATC experience.

If the new Sim has ATC use real SIDs and STARs, then....

BHgHAmA.jpg

My philosophy was to ignore the "Go Around" and just land my airplane. 99% of the time the ai aircraft that landed in front of me had pulled off the runway before I touched down, so no harm, no foul. What's so bad about a runway without a localizer? Were they making you do a visual landing? It's good practice! ;)

Hi Mr Zippy,

Nothing at all wrong with a runway without a localizer - unless one is specifically working on a particular skill or investigation that requires one. I have since found a couple of "no tower" airports with ILS, effectively removing the ATC involvement.

Pertaining to the GO AROUND, I found an article on the FS Wiki that suggested I was going too slow.

I'm still checking on that.

If the Wiki post was correct about going too slow while lining up on the runway ( say 10 miles out from FAF) then many new questions are opened up. the KMIA tower clears everybody, then tells most of them to GO AROUND. So how fast do you have to go? Is it a race? FAA book says you can't pass someone to gain advantage to the runway ahead of them. So those who pass and race to the front of the line (just like on hi-ways in cars) are the ones who need to get the GO AROUND.

I suppose In the ATC program's design philosophy, it is comprehended that the tower professionals don't want to piss off a bunch of commercial airlines. OK, then perhaps the small prop plane loping along at 70 knots needs to be assigned a more appropriate runway? In my case, in a Lear flying Vref + 40 while 10 miles from FAF, I get passed by the larger jets. I can go faster, but I have much better landings when I don't. Maybe I am using the wrong tactic. I suppose I could go charging down there at 250 knots and hope to get the plane slowed down in the last few miles. Is that how it is done ?

At 250, I will not get passed. I might run off the end of the runway , but hey !! I didn't have to GO AROUND.

:-)

The secret document is highly classified TOP SECRET information and not for public consumption. It is a PDF file that's been encrypted with ChaCha20 and a hash of Argon2id. Only I, and I myself manged to crack this PDF with Hashcat running a cluster powered by Titan GPUs using Hashtopolis. :D

I'm always looking for good hash products

Remember, you are the PIC! The pilot in command does what is best and safe. Sometimes ignore Go Around! If everything is fine .... land and enjoy!

Cheers!

Thank you.

I have heard that several times now. I need to lighten up !!! Chill. Enjoy.

The two things I believe I was doing to put myself in the "not land and not enjoy" mode -

Going too slow such that other planes overtake me, and totally misunderstanding what GO AROUND means.

I thought it meant, fly a standard pattern. Apparently it means - fly the missed approach procedure.

BTW, how do you respond to ATC ? Do you simply not ack the instruction (go around) ? What about when they start hounding you with "did you hear my last instruction"

I suppose I could just turn the sound off - but they are kind of devious. I think the software remembers that kind of thing.

Perhaps just paranoid. A side effect of living in today's world of compliance and surveillance.

I suppose In the ATC program's design philosophy, it is comprehended that the tower professionals don't want to piss off a bunch of commercial airlines. OK, then perhaps the small prop plane loping along at 70 knots needs to be assigned a more appropriate runway?

I believe you are overthinking it -- the operations the program tries to do are actually very complex at times, and the programmers didn't have the time/money given them by MS to do any better, so it's just bugs in the program.

In my case, in a Lear flying Vref + 40 while 10 miles from FAF, I get passed by the larger jets. I can go faster, but I have much better landings when I don't.

Certainly you have better landings when you don't go too fast down final approach (that is, after FAF), and you are doing fine, except for the frustration (which everyone has with the FS ATC). In real life ATC will tell you, "Keep your speed up" when they need you to go faster, though I 'm not sure that's in the FS ATC vocabulary. However final approach speed 10 miles from the FAF might be a tad slow, and nothing prevents you from holding 200-250 kts until 4 or 5 miles out, then slowing to approach speed (it's far from an instant slowdown, so adjusting the distance to start slowing can keep some speed until almost at FAF).

One other thing you COULD do, though, when you're needing the runway available is to turn down the AI traffic, even to zero if you wish.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

KMBT? Sounds a lot like KMBT. I love listening to students flying around on my scanner.

I was thinking perhaps it was the int'l flight school at Bolivar many years ago. I was flying out of M04 for years and always had to watch out for the kamikazes from Bolivar.

JOE- Asus P8Z68- V Pro; CPU: Intel i7-2600K 3.4ghz OC'd 4.6Ghz,

8G Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR3-1600, EVGA 1080Ti 11G ACX Cooler

Samsung 500G OS drive, 3 WD 1T Raptor HDD

Thank you.

I have heard that several times now. I need to lighten up !!! Chill. Enjoy.

The two things I believe I was doing to put myself in the "not land and not enjoy" mode -

Going too slow such that other planes overtake me, and totally misunderstanding what GO AROUND means.

I thought it meant, fly a standard pattern. Apparently it means - fly the missed approach procedure.

BTW, how do you respond to ATC ? Do you simply not ack the instruction (go around) ? What about when they start hounding you with "did you hear my last instruction"

I suppose I could just turn the sound off - but they are kind of devious. I think the software remembers that kind of thing.

Perhaps just paranoid. A side effect of living in today's world of compliance and surveillance.

I think once you have practiced following some instructions with the sim ATC, you should try VATSIM and then Pilotedge for the most accurate experience. If you keep following FS ATC, it is not going to give you a faithful and accurate representation of what true ATC is like and likely to frustrate as you learn the ropes. Some of the repetitive instructions you have been getting does not happen in real life. Flying is about repetition to improve your skills and with ATC it is about listening and multi-tasking with efficiency. We all learn at different paces. Real voices behind the sim ATC will give a world of different experiences and I am confident you will enjoy the ATC as your comfort zone increases with practice. Keep us posted and cheers as you proceed up the learning curve. Remember, a good pilot is always learning.

If you have a dual monitor setup you can run Little NavMap on the second screen and see AI in your area and know if you need to speed up or slow down to accommodate the AI landing on your runway. In FS you not only play the roll of pilot but of ATC in a lot of ways given the fact ATC in FS is so mundane. There are no holding patterns or specific criteria for stacking planes, etc to prevent incursions.

When I'm landing at a very busy airport and monitor the tower on in and see all the AI trying to land on that runway I'll slow down as best as I can. If I see the plane still on the runway in Little NavMap or from the cockpit I'll get the usual go around. But I know that the plane is about to turn off anyway so I confirm the go around, land, taxi off and contact ground for parking.

If you have a dual monitor setup you can run Little NavMap on the second screen and see AI in your area and know if you need to speed up or slow down to accommodate the AI landing on your runway. In FS you not only play the roll of pilot but of ATC in a lot of ways given the fact ATC in FS is so mundane. There are no holding patterns or specific criteria for stacking planes, etc to prevent incursions.

When I'm landing at a very busy airport and monitor the tower on in and see all the AI trying to land on that runway I'll slow down as best as I can. If I see the plane still on the runway in Little NavMap or from the cockpit I'll get the usual go around. But I know that the plane is about to turn off anyway so I confirm the go around, land, taxi off and contact ground for parking.

Great suggestion and great advice!

Thanks. Yeah, Little NavMap has been a real game changer for me allowing me not only get a first hand perspective at the weather for the destination airport as it changes via Active Sky 2016, but I can see AI planes and helicopters (have an add-on for this) and the ILS Freq., VOR's, NDB's, terrain, etc. Really helps flying into Kathmandu let me tell you. LOL

When you use Little NavMap you really don't need charts, it's all right there. Though, if you want to fly as real as it gets, then SID & STAR plates would be necessary. I have yet to know of a source to get world-wide SID & STAR plates. I suppose there's a source somewhere, I just haven't looked.

Edited by CRJ_simpilot