Thinking Of Buying - Couple Of Quick Questions

Elvensmith

Getting increasingly frustrated trying to get FSX:SE running on modern hardware and as my sim flying is for recreational (fun!) not educational purposes I don't qualify for P3D, was thinking of grabbing X-Plane 11 while it's still on sale.

However before dropping +-£37, could anyone clarify on the following?

How optimised is it for modern hardware? Is it 64 bit and therefore take advantage of my 24Gb RAM? How does it run on a 4K monitor, namely does it suffer from the fixed size menu and fonts which make FSX extremely difficult to use at 3840 x 2160 resolution and make the start menu box tiny?

My system spec is I7 4770 @3.5Ghz (stock), GTX 1650 with 2Gb RAM Windows 10 and as mentioned 24Gb system RAM. Can I expect reasonable performance?

Any answers (sensible if possible!) appreciated, please.

Vern.

Okay well I took the plunge as with the £5 voucher plus Steam Sale it was a snip at £31.

To answer my own questions, yes it is 64 bit, in fact I believe it is only 64 bit.

No issues with menu size or font scaling on 4K monitor running at 3840 x 2160 resolution.

Performance wise, most things turned on or fairly high. A couple of times I got warnings about being unable to achieve target frame rate, but seemed nice and smooth to me.

At the moment I've just played a few of the tutorials and a bit of free flight in the microlight and C172. Certainly enjoying it though a couple of (minor) niggles which I'm sure is just a case of transitioning from MSFS ideology to Laminar philosophy...

No built in flight planner is a bit of a PITA but a bit of detective work found a couple of external sites that will generate plans which can then be imported to the GPS or presumably FMC on the jets.

Joystick configuration is a bit tricky as is taming the sensitivity. Still a work in progress finding the sweet spot. Along with that, seems no option to tone down the P factor which makes taking off in the propeller planes a bit hairy. At least while learning the game, it would be nice to have this as a choice. No pilot log or career record (unless I haven't found it yet).

On the plus side, I found manual/visual landings much easier than in the various MSFS versions, at least the few I've attempted so far.

Vern.

Yep it's pretty nice, tried my first flight in the 737 last night and (IMHO) the night time graphics are much superior to default FS9 or FSX.

Still a few wrinkles though - ground brakes don't seem to work on a press and release basis like the "." key in FS and attempting pushback I got warnings about trying a different airport or terminal! There seems to be a lack of (as in none) lessons for flying the heavy iron in the Tutorial secion.

Vern.