New Triple Monitor build for MS 2020

My first post. Was recommended to come here by a few flightsim Youtubers

I am currently in the process of building a PC ready for the MS 2020 release

Will also be using it for other games and general purpose.

I9 9900k

Auros Master motherboard

4x 8 GB DDR4 ram

1 TB samsung EVO SSD

2070 SUPER graphics card

now on to the bit that I'm sure causes most problems.

I want a triple monitor layout, but have two questions

Will a 2070 SUPER be powerful enough to run 3 monitors at 1440p, or should I stick with 1020p?

I am on a tight budget, so will not be able to afford three mid range monitors.

My desk area is just big enough to hold three 27" monitors but I would much prefer to have 24" monitors if I can get them. But 24" monitors that support 1440p are on the rare side, so I might be forced to go 27" instead.

Unfortunately I cant find a budget 1440p monitor that has 90 mhz refers with less than 3 ms timing and costs less than £300.

I can easily find 1020p monitors that fit those specs at that price.

The question I have with regards monitors is if faced between a choice of faster refresh rates (90 mhz or faster) or faster timing ( 3 ms or less) which do you consider to be more important if I am forced to compromise?

Will three monitors with 1440p be overkill, would you recommend sticking to 1020p monitors instead?

Thanks in advance for any help offered.

You're wasting your money on a 9900K. I'd get an AMD Ryzen 7 3700X which has a massive 32 MB of L3 cache and 16 threads with the same 8 cores as the 9900K. We don't even know what the PC requirements will be to even know what kind of PC one would need for this Sim. Whether it can actually take advantage of more than one thread we just don't know. It may or it may not.

Watch this video:

As to your monitor question, yes, it should support all three monitors at that resolution since that GPU is capable of 4 monitors at a max res of 7680 x 4320 and that GPU has 8 GB of RAM so it should be much of a problem. Whether that GPU is a good buy or not versus something else I don't know. I'd have to do some research and benchmark comparison shopping.

Until Microsoft releases the system requirements, you may be blowing money on needless hardware.

And 1020p doesn't make any sense. It's 1080p.

Edited by CRJ_simpilot

You're wasting your money on a 9900K. I'd get an AMD Ryzen 7 3700X which has a massive 32 MB of L3 cache and 16 threads with the same 8 cores as the 9900K. We don't even know what the PC requirements will be to even know what kind of PC one would need for this Sim. Whether it can actually take advantage of more than one thread we just don't know. It may or it may not.

Watch this video:

As to your monitor question, yes, it should support all three monitors at that resolution since that GPU is capable of 4 monitors at a max res of 7680 x 4320 and that GPU has 8 GB of RAM so it should be much of a problem. Whether that GPU is a good buy or not versus something else I don't know. I'd have to do some research and benchmark comparison shopping.

Until Microsoft releases the system requirements, you may be blowing money on needless hardware.

And 1020p doesn't make any sense. It's 1080p.

THe 9900k was not a waste of money. As stated previously I will be using this PC for various things.

A processor with multiply threads is pretty useless if you are running a program that only uses one. I bought the 9900k because I know what I will be using it for and have done enough research to know that even though it is more expensive it will outperform any AMD CPU at the moment for what I want it to do. Let me be the judge of how I spend my money, and I will let you decide how you should spend your money

As for the monitor yes I know on paper that GPU will support three monitors, but in practice often the claims of hardware and software developers do not stack up.

Have you got a three monitor setup with a similar GPU? If so what frame rate are you getting in the various flight sims? What resolution are you using to get these frame rates?

I am looking for real-world experience. Have watched a lot of the Mike Brown videos and he hs proven time and time again that what hardware vendors claim often doesnt match the realities when running some flight sims such as MSSF, Prepar3d and x-plane.

I already have the spec sheets for various bits of software and hardware, I know what they claim, but was really looking for advice from those that already have a three monitor setup for their flight sim, and especially from those that have tried to go 1440p

There seems to be some misunderstanding.

I am not asking for advice on system requirements for FS 2020, nor on my choice of processor.

The only hardware I have not bought so far is the GPU and monitors, which is why my questions are based around these.

FS2020 was the impetus to build a new PC, my existing system was built 8 years ago. It has been built to include the use of FS202 but that will not be its only use. I am well aware that some of my specs well exceed the FS 2020 recommended spec but much of that is due to requirements of other uses and applications/games. FS 2020 although it appears to look absolutely stunning from what has been released might not turn out to be my flightsim of choice due to bandwidth or realism of flight mechanics etc etc. I might also be using X-plane or DCS. I also use my PC for other purposes so those specs I have provided take them into account too.

What I have no experience of is a 3 monitor setup. As previously stated software and hardware vendors benchmarks or claims often do not meet reality in the real world.

I am hoping that others too have a 3 monitor setup, and can advice me on the specific questions I asked.

Which is more important. to have higher monitor refresh rates (90 mhz upwards) or faster response timing timings (less than 5 ms)?

What kind of FPS could I genuinely expect to get? if its less than 35 fps then obviously this is a non runner for me.

Will stepping up to a 1440p display make a significant difference, or is 1080p more than sufficient?

If a three monitor setup is unrealistic then I will have to consider a single ultra-wide monitor, that will not give that true wrap around feel or total screen area, but maybe a better compromise with regards to actual performance.

There seems to be some misunderstanding.

Which is more important. to have higher monitor refresh rates (90 mhz upwards) or faster response timing timings (less than 5 ms)?

What kind of FPS could I genuinely expect to get? if its less than 35 fps then obviously this is a non runner for me.

Will stepping up to a 1440p display make a significant difference, or is 1080p more than sufficient?

If a three monitor setup is unrealistic then I will have to consider a single ultra-wide monitor, that will not give that true wrap around feel or total screen area, but maybe a better compromise with regards to actual performance.

As I was saying, the new sim has not been released and no one outside of Asobo or the alpha testers knows how well the sim runs, so no one knows what GPU would be best for a triple monitor setup or how it would run. We won’t know this until after the sim has been released and people have had a chance to review it and run benchmarks.

As I was saying, the new sim has not been released and no one outside of Asobo or the alpha testers knows how well the sim runs, so no one knows what GPU would be best for a triple monitor setup or how it would run. We won’t know this until after the sim has been released and people have had a chance to review it and run benchmarks.

I fully understand FS 2020 has not been fully released, but there are thousands of alpha testers out there that have had access to it.

Also for many of the flight sims some things are very much similar.

Would a 2070 super with three monitors give reasonable performance in x-plane or DCS for example?

They might not be able to tell me that it will be perfect in FS2020 but they might say that spec is good enough ,or not good enough, for other existing sims such as X-plane, DCS or FSX.

At the moment my main PC is dead, I am using an old laptop. I cannot wait until FS 2020 has been released to complete my build. I am just going to have complete the build based on my or others best judgement. I would assume for instance that if my build with three monitors is more than sufficient for x-plane where the GPU has to render all views then it will probably be well able to handle what views FS 2020 streams rather than having my GPU render all views.

I am not looking for a written guarantee here, just other people experience and opinions on running a three monitor setup. If I am told that they would only recommend doing it on a 2080 then I will have to go the single ultra wide monitor route.

Edited by efanton
typo

I fully understand FS 2020 has not been fully released, but there are thousands of alpha testers out there that have had access to it.

Due to the NDA they agreed to, those alpha testers aren’t allowed to answer questions like this. Hence the need to wait until either an open beta or, most likely, the final release.

Due to the NDA they agreed to, those alpha testers aren’t allowed to answer questions like this. Hence the need to wait until either an open beta or, most likely, the final release.

Thanks, I was not aware of that.

I would have thought that statements such as my existing three monitor setup that I use for DCS , X-plane or FSX works perfectly with the alpha build would have been allowed without actually divulging detailed technical information.

I guess then I am going to have to go on my instincts and make some general assumptions for a three monitor setup, or go to plan-B and aim for a single ultra widescreen setup that is known to work with a game that is both CPU and GPU intensive.

Thanks, I was not aware of that.

I would have thought that statements such as my existing three monitor setup that I use for DCS , X-plane or FSX works perfectly with the alpha build would have been allowed without actually divulging detailed technical information.

The NDA covers everything from features in the sim, to technical details, and how it runs, which is essentially what you're asking. Alpha testers aren't even meant to let family or friends watch over their shoulder.

You're best bet is to review the system specs they have released and aim for the higher end on the GPU front as three monitors requires more processing power. Also, the sim will be DX11 when it comes out, but likely upgraded to DX12 sometime down the road. Other DX12 sims and games have required a fair bit of VRAM, so you probably want a GPU with 8GB of VRAM onboard, or more.

• 1 month later...

I've got the GeForce 2060 Super with 3 - 32" 1440P (2K) monitors. My system is a Ryzen 3700X with 32GB of low latency 3200Mhz memory.

Let me tell you that Flight Simulator 2020 runs super smooth with the Video settings on HIGH (It also runs fine on the ULTRA setting). Your 2070 should be more than up to the task of three 2K monitors running at 1440p.

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunatley MSFS 2020 does not support multi monitors yet.

Yes you can use 3 said monitors with nvidia surround but it will look like crap.

The system has a problem geometric-distortion scaling to the correct resolution and things are stretched. The Night Lighting looks blurry and you get oversized lights.

There is nothing you can do to fix this until Asobo implements support for multi monitors.

This issue has been reported, This is not on their priority list