Flightaware - And How Much Is This All Going To Cost..?

Watching some of the latest clips on You Tube showing the Flightaware plug in and the stupendous graphics I nevertheless started to get a sinking feeling as to what this is likely to cost. I just cannot see how they can offer all this for a conventional game price of around £40 (US$50) that the higher end titles tend to go for. My smart money is on a minimum of £60 (around US$70) but wouldn't be surprised to see it come in around £80 or more for a deluxe version with all bells and whistles.

Bigger sinking feeling is that they will want some sort of ongoing subscription.

The rub of it is, they know we will pay it too, in order to get an up to date flight simulator that runs on modern hardware without having to play around to get it working or squint at tiny menu boxes (FSX launcher!) on a 4K screen.

And as regards Flightaware, great idea but what happens down the road if/when there is a falling out or one of the parties decides they no longer want to continue the service. We already had that in existing FS9/FSX with the Jep real weather, so could happen again.

Vern.

Sorry Vern,

I think your pricing is way off. I would be looking at around £100 but hope that I am wrong. 2020, by previews seems to be a superb piece of kit. Compare what you will get with the start of Flight Simulator and it is another world.

Roy

Actually I did toy with putting £100 in my OP but thought, no even MS wouldn't pitch at three figures. Maybe my £80 will be about right which I would in all likelihood pay, though as a one off not with any caveat of ongoing subscription.

It may be they will sell the core sim cheaper but keep a tight hold on DLC, to bring in the extra revenue.

People will come, to quote Field Of Dreams. After all, a large number of Trainz customers parted with £55 for N3V's latest regurgitation of their software (TRS2019), myself included!

Hopefully we will know more in a month or two.

Vern.

It appears that the core sim will have much less choice of aircraft compared to FSX or even FS9. No gliders/helicopters/microlights/military.

Sure the scenery is an improvement, the weather engine better but in my view the price should be on a par or CHEAPER than FSX (relative to todays prices) due to this lack of aircraft choice.

Hopefully this will be the case and they will take a cut of the DLC income.

Stinger

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

The sheer amount of work put into this new Sim means it should be priced accordingly and not just based on a few missing aircraft. The one thing that concerns me is not the price, but whether the Sim behaves in Winblows 10. Especially with a constant barrage of low quality control "updates." I presently use Windows 7, but I've been testing 10 in VMware Workstation Player and 10 seems like it's flaky and there's a MASSIVE amount of traffic that goes in and out of the NIC. I managed to stop it all with a program like ShutUp 10 at a more advanced firewall level and I use Peerblock.

At any rate, I foresee issues with the game its self and the host OS. So I shall be watching the guinea pigs before I even think about dropping some serious coin. Bad enough I paid $60 for Call Of Duty only to find out the game has issues with my CPU and other CPUs. I often get lagged out. It's not so bad in windowed mode and I've adjusted things, but what really pisses me off is that there has been update after update all to the tune of some 50 GB a piece and yet no fix. Just more fluff bull crap. Had I known Warzone would be free I would have never bought COD.

I’ve read From the Virtual Pilot 3D said cost for MS flight sim 2020 199.00, with limited planes and airports, VP 3D was comparing their product To MS FS 2020, VP3D said MS will have 2 to 3 versions?

I was not impressed with the VP3D video’s.

I’ll wait until the official flight Sim 2020 comes out and more information on pricing and so on.

CyberPowerPC Desktop Gamer Xtreme Liquid cool GLC3200F Intel i7-4790k 4.0 CPU Z97,NEW-GPU Gigabyte OC GTX1060 6GB ,128GB SSD W10 Home 64-Bit 1TB SATA III- SSD 850 EVO 500GB for FSX only,Force Feedback 2 joystick] Notebook MSI GP62MVR 7RFX i7 7700HQ 2.8/3.8 turbo- 16gb Memory-GPU GTX 1060 6 GB Memory.

I’ve read From the Virtual Pilot 3D said cost for MS flight sim 2020 199.00, with limited planes and airports, VP 3D was comparing their product To MS FS 2020, VP3D said MS will have 2 to 3 versions?

I was not impressed with the VP3D video’s.

I’ll wait until the official flight Sim 2020 comes out and more information on pricing and so on.

Virtual Pilot is actually a paid old package of the Freeware FlightGear from http://www.flightgear.org.

Anybody actually buying something that is actually freeware is nuts. Any comments from them MUST be takenb with a pinch of salt!!

Here goes.. NO pricing has been released yet for Microsoft Flight Simulator known as MSFS. NOT 2020, or any other names. No release date either. The sim is still in Alpha testing. Then comes beta resting, then release. So plenty time.

It is rather silly to say that it should be cheaper than FSX, as it may have fewer planes.. Technology within the new sim, from what we have seen, is actually quite stunning, with realtime weather & AI aircraft. Have a look at the videos that have been released so far, it cannot be compared to FSX.

Look at https://www.flightsimulator.com/

It will be available for PC first, later for Xbox, it is said, with 3 modes, NOT versions of usage.. Flying on line, with live streaming scenery, Cacheíng the scenery, & flying with default scenery.

The aircraft, compared to FSX will be far more accurate with their interaction with air, wind & rain.

Google Virtual Pilot 3D scam for more info..

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

200 £, $ or whatever is not going to get MS many customers, regardless of how good it is! It needs to be pitched so that not only veteran and hardcore simmers are their only customers, they should be looking to expand the user base. Not forgetting we are entering a period of great financial uncertainty following the (still ongoing) Covid-19 pandemic when many people are likely to be losing their jobs or finding themselves in lower paid jobs. That is not really the right time to be releasing a £200 game (or even an £80 game)!
Vern.

No one knows how much it will cost. But given the scenery,airplanes, expandability, weather engine,and multiplayer not to mention Microsoft and Asobo's expertise I'd pay 200 usd for it no problem. You get to tour the whole world in photoreal scenery with any plane u want.

My system

MSI GE75 Raider

Intel Core i7 10750H CPU 32 GB Ram

2T SSD HD Geforce RTX 2080 Super

MSFS comes with a base scenery that is on (almost) on par with Orbx scenery. That alone is worth hundreds of dollars. For MSFS to be cheaper since it has less aircraft that's quantity thinking instead of quality.

I'd rather have the ~14 aircraft MSFS has (sofar) than these ~26 toys that FSX had. This time around it seems as if the default aircraft will stay interesting, while with FSX they were soon replaced by payware versions. That's another moneysaver.

I am guessing that MSFS will cost somewhere between $60 - $99, but anyone's guess is as good as mine.

Those that are saying they "wont pay", I beg to differ. I'd suggest that once released, those same people will be fighting each-other to get it.

A lot of money was/is spent on "addons" for flight simulators. The new MFS seems to incorporate a lot of these features "out of the box", so I'd have absolutely no problems paying more for it than I did for FSX, FS9 etc...

As for subscriptions; same logic. If they update the Magnetic Variation, NAVAIDs etc, I'll pay for that, as I have in the past with 3rd Party products.

Cheers,

Strikey

Embraer E190 Driver

You are aware that the Aussie price is for the Xbox version, that will be released after the PC version, & is a 'gap filler' price.

That means that if you order it, for Xbox, you will get it at some unspecified date, and at a price that could be less, or more than that displayed. It should be obvious to all that no pricing has been released as yet, nor a release date for Xbox.. And the format for Xbox is??

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

There is no "PC version". Xbox MSFS will be accessible via the Xbox App built-in to Windows 10, which is why your PC needs Windows 10 to run MSFS.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

As Asobo has said, the PC version is coming first. Even though all of Microsoft's PC games have been moved under the Xbox umbrella and are being distributed through the Microsoft Store, they are still PC games. And while they will be closely related, there will be some differences between the PC and Xbox console versions.

As Asobo has said, the PC version is coming first.

No they haven't. What Microsoft actually said at E3 2019 is: "The next generation of our longest-running franchise, Microsoft Flight Simulator is coming to Windows 10 with Xbox Game Pass in 2020, and coming to Xbox One at a later date."

No mention of a "PC version" at all.

Edited by tiger1962

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

There is no "PC version". Xbox MSFS will be accessible via the Xbox App built-in to Windows 10, which is why your PC needs Windows 10 to run MSFS.

Tim, I thought a PC version will run on a PC, available from the Xbox store, & the Xbox version will run on an Xbox.

That's what I imagine a PC version would be.. a version of Microsoft Flight Simulator that will run on a PC.

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

No they haven't. What Microsoft actually said at E3 2019 is: "The next generation of our longest-running franchise, Microsoft Flight Simulator is coming to Windows 10 with Xbox Game Pass in 2020, and coming to Xbox One at a later date."

No mention of a "PC version" at all.

Obviously a PC version from a store called Xbox Game Pass will come before a console version for Xbox.

Tim, the pictures & video clips that, I'm sure that you have seen, is from a PC version. If you have not seen these, please have a look for them.. (Google is your friend)

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

Tim, the pictures & video clips that, I'm sure that you have seen, is from a PC version.

No they aren't. The sim IS being developed on PC, but the finished sim will be coded for Xbox only. It'll be accessible via the Xbox App from ANY Windows 10 device including PC, as it is right now by the beta testers. This sim will run 'from the cloud' and no actual sim software will be installed on your PC, therefore a "PC version" cannot possibly exist.

This sim will run 'from the cloud' and no actual sim software will be installed on your PC, therefore a "PC version" cannot possibly exist.

Hmmm... That will make it a VERY interesting experience in running the sim offline on your PC which the developers say will be one of the operating choices. Perhaps you should recheck your information source(s).

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

Perhaps you should recheck your information source(s).

OK, some basic elements must be installed which will run within the Xbox app, not Windows 10, otherwise the Xbox app wouldn't be required and the sim could run on any version of Windows.