Zoom Keystrokes Don't Work After ATC Window is Closed

I noticed that when I close the ATC window using keystroke `, all other keystrokes for the VC work except view zoom (- & =). I have to click anywhere on the VC screen to get those keystrokes working again. I like to zoom in & out to check gauges and switches. I also like to close the ATC window to minimize clutter. Does anyone know how to fix/work around this issue?

When you 'click anywhere on the vc' you are changing FOCUS from ATC 'window' to FltSim 'window'. This is normal so there is no 'fix'. No need. You just have to understand what is happening and to realize that that is the (only) way it is. So if you open another 'window' (left bracket) you will have to click anywhere on screen to switch 'FOCUS' from one to the other. You can zoom in/out in new window but need to switch FOCUS to main window so as to use zoom on that. OK? OK!

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Yes, I understand focus. My question is... why do I have to click & retain focus on the VC to use the - & = keystrokes but none of the other keystrokes? I can close the ATC window and successfully use any of the other keystrokes without clicking on the VC screen to retain focus.

The + and - keys can be associated with a number of different gauges/functions in the sim (OBS, freq change, many more), and are intended to be "adjustment keys" for all those various functions, so you have to let the sim know what you need them for at the moment. CTRL-TAB can sometimes reset certain functions, and there are a handful of other combinations (I don't recall the others at the moment).

Yes, I understand focus.

There's more than one kind of "focus." Window focus is the one you're thinking of, but a specific focus for certain controls is another kind. As Chuck said above, it's just the way the sim works.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

Larry, thanks for that explanation. Makes sense. I'm going to post something on the FSUIPC forum to see if that add-on could help; if not, I'll just leave the ATC window open. I just got a Honeycomb yoke. I'm very impressed with the high quality of workmanship and overall feel when flying. It also has two options for mounting on tables/desks and when it's locked down, it doesn't budge. It also has a full 180 degrees with no dead zone.

Press backspace to get zoom control back.

It worked! The back space is the "default zoom" keystroke. I went into Cameras.cfg and changed the camera 2 parameter "InitialZoom = 0.7" to 0.4 which is my normal zoom level. I used FSUIPC to program a button with the ATC window keystroke (`) and set the release keystroke to "backspace". So with one click of a button I can close the ATC window and transfer focus to the VC zoom level 0.4 even if the VC zoom is already set to 0.4.