FS9 startup problem

solomod

I am having problems starting FS9.

I use Win 7 Pro 64-bit and FS9.exe (version 9.1.0.4091) runs with compatibility XP service pack 3 and run as administrator. Computer is HP Z600 Workstation 28GB RAM.

I have used these settings for years with no problems and the problem has only just occurred.

I click on the shortcut either on the task bar or the desktop.

The User Account Control Window opens and I click yes.

The window closes and the egg-timer appears briefly then disappears.

Nothing happens.

I click the shortcut again, the UAC window opens, click yes and FS9 starts as normal.

This only happens the first time that I attempt to start FS9 after the computer has booted up. For the rest of the session FS9 will start normally.

I have run scannow and looked at the Event Logs and cannot see anything obvious.

Can anybody help me with this please?

I can't help or offer a suggestion but I experience exactly the same thing. I don't get the UAC prompt, maybe because FS9 is installed outside the Program Files (x86) folder? I double click the icon and get a "wait" cursor as if somethings happening and then it stops and nothing happens at all. I have to open the task manager and kill FS9.exe, then I double click the icon again and FS9 starts up normally, also this happens only after a reboot for me too.

I also found through process explorer that there's an instance of rundll32.exe running and tied to fs9.exe after I've shut FS9 down. It interferes with shutting windows itself down, there's a brief screen that says "closing program blah blah" something or other, it's so brief I've never been able to read it. If I kill that instance of rundll32.exe in process explorer Windows shuts down normally. Also if I kill that instance of rundll32.exe in process explorer and try to run FS9 again I have to go through the "double startup routine" again so it apparently has something to do with rundll32.exe. No idea what though, also running Win7 64 incidentally.

Hi,

I have a multi-boot system with 3 Win 7x64 Pro installs. FS9 is installed on 2 of them.

On one of them I have that problem too, not on the other.

Just remembered, that at the time I did come across posts about this, just dug'em up.

It's that stupid Game Explorer...

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?311500-FS9-needs-second-startup&highlight=FS9+startup

http://ubeogesh-things.blogspot.com/2012/08/resolve-it-finally-game-explorer-aka.html

DDP.

Edited by DirkDP

Hi,

I have a multi-boot system with 3 Win 7x64 Pro installs. FS9 is installed on 2 of them.

On one of them I have that problem too, not on the other.

Just remembered, that at the time I did come across posts about this, just dug'em up.

It's that stupid Game Explorer...

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?311500-FS9-needs-second-startup&highlight=FS9+startup

http://ubeogesh-things.blogspot.com/2012/08/resolve-it-finally-game-explorer-aka.html

DDP.

Yes. That's what I was meaning to post in one of the linked threads but called it Ranger by mistake. FS9 will also start slowly with this problem as will several hundred other games.

Take my advice lightly though. I really don't know anything.

Mark Daniels

Do yourself a favor and just turn off BS UAC. It's not going to help stop malware at at all and I know there is code out there to bypass UAC in malware. UAC just serves to do nothing more than to be a PITA. Turning off UAC may or may not help you, but it's worth a shot. To turn off UAC type UAC into search under the start orb and drop the slider to the bottom.

If FS9 isn't installed to the root of C drive then that could pose an issue there as well.

Can you go back and retrace your steps to what you may have done or installed prior to this issue occurring?

Thank you for all the replies to my problem. FS9 is not installed on C: but on a separate drive. I have tried the Ubeogesh bat file fix for rundll32.exe but that did not fix the startup problem. I cannot remember anything that I have installed recently that would caused the problem.

I'll try turning the UAC down and see what happens. I have Malwarebytes running all the time which is good protection.

But at the end of day it's not a big problem - it just seems to me odd that it suddenly started happening. Support for win7 stopped months ago and last update was a Servicing Stack (important) update in January 2020. FS9 was perfectly ok after that.

I have a second SSD drive I use for X-Plane and I might try transferring FS9 to that and see what happens. I don't like X-Plane anyway.

David

I had this problem for some time. I would click on the icon for FS9 and apparently nothing would happen, then clicking on the icon again and FS9 would run without any problem. Looking at task manager (Shift-Ctrl-Esc) there would be 2 instances of FS9 one of which would show 0 under CPU. This could be ended or not with no effect on the operating FS9. Like you, any subsequent loading of FS( during the same session would be no problem. I found the following solution somewhere on the internet, which has worked for me:

Run regedit.

Delete this entry S-1-5-21-1380981980-2726883197-928252028-1000 under:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\GameUX\

Your registry entry may have a different number, but delete it and just leave the Games and MachineSettings subfolders in the GameUX folder

As always when in regedit, be careful!

Me too. But only after a re-boot. Then it always starts on the first try. Opening up the manager always depicts (2) FS9 entries running.

Glad to hear about you all experiencing the same. Win7 here as well. Started for me after Microvirus ended support fort Win7.

Michael

If you monkey with the registry make sure you backup that key first.

Has nothing to do with updates. I only have four installed and never update. I'm what you call unorthodox and I do run a tight ship other than paying homage to the update God every Tuesday. No hoody wearing haxxer moron or virus has ever hit my computer since I ran Windows 98se way back then. And at that I had AVG installed back then. Some anti-virus.

Speaking of anti-virus software, sometimes those can be a source of grief. May not be at first, but with their updates, etc it can be.

Instead of running the game as XP SP3, try SP2 and make sure you run as Admin. Though, that may not be required.

I tried deleting those registry values (I had 4 of them, yes I backed up the key first) but it didn't fix the problem and one of them came back after I ran FS9 the first time afterwards. I don't run FS9 very often but I've had it installed since 2011 and I don't remember having this problem back then. I have UAC turned all the way down and I haven't allowed any Windows updates since they tried to force Win10 on us.

I dunno, but happy 4th to all those who celebrate it. :)

I'm running Window 10, fully updated, Windows Defender as an anti-virus (I had used Avast for many years) & Malwarebytes, NEVER an issue.

What you can try, is re-create the FS9.cft. Just delete the current one (backup first) & restart the sim. A new cfg will be created & you will have to reassign the keys.

To find the fs9.cfg easily, download a search engine called everything from http://www.voidtools.com

It is the fastest desktop search engine that searches as you start typing.

UAC is a waste of time, keep it off. All it does is nag!

Edited by zswobbie1

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

What you can try, is re-create the FS9.cft. Just delete the current one (backup first) & restart the sim. A new cfg will be created & you will have to reassign the keys.

It won't make a difference. It's what I said in all these cases.

Mark Daniels

'Shrug', It's helped me more thane once. Worth a try, if nor tried already.

Hi,

I think it's not an FS9 problem, it's a Win 7 problem.

The FS9 I've installed on those Win7s is exactly the same. The Win7 installs are not. One is for online use, so it's got AV and Firefox etc.

The other Win7 is strictly offline. No AV or Firefox and several services needed for online have been disabled (as per http://www.blackviper.com). I use the offline Win7 to fly, which does not have the problem. That's why I never investigated it any further.

Maybe it's the AV, or one of those services, but imo it's not FS9.

Regards,

DDP.

I think it's not an FS9 problem, it's a Win 7 problem.

I'm not sure how many more times I can say the same thing. lol

It's not a problem, it's a Win 7 feature that will affect every single person running FS9. Some will experience the double click issue but the slow loading will affect every single person running FS9 on Win 7.

Mark Daniels

You both simply disabled Games Explorer and your problems are gone.

Every person running Win 7 should disable it.

Hope you are paying attention 3Green! lol

Fixed it.

Looked at http://ubeogesh-things.blogspot.com/2012/08/resolve-it-finally-game-explorer-aka.html

and changed gameux.dll to gameux.dll.old by hand in C:\Windows\SysWOW64.

Everything else seems to be working okay.

Many thanks to all who replied.

David

I had this problem for some time. I would click on the icon for FS9 and apparently nothing would happen, then clicking on the icon again and FS9 would run without any problem. Looking at task manager (Shift-Ctrl-Esc) there would be 2 instances of FS9 one of which would show 0 under CPU. This could be ended or not with no effect on the operating FS9. Like you, any subsequent loading of FS( during the same session would be no problem. I found the following solution somewhere on the internet, which has worked for me:

Run regedit.

Delete this entry S-1-5-21-1380981980-2726883197-928252028-1000 under:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\GameUX\

Your registry entry may have a different number, but delete it and just leave the Games and MachineSettings subfolders in the GameUX folder

As always when in regedit, be careful!

Mark Daniels

Now that's very interesting. After all this time I never knew Win 7 had a useless stupid feature called Games Explorer. I have many games installed and the only ones that show up are FSX, BF2 and GTA Vice City. I guess it doesn't list COD from Battle.net or Steam games. I even have GTA V from Epic Games and that too isn't listed.

Okay, so it looks like there are two gameux.dll's. One in the syswow64 folder and the other in system32. That's more than likely for 64 and 32 bit games. Also, you can't rename the DLL without taking ownership. Thankfully I think the ownership crap is totally useless and I added a take ownership right click context menu option. So I just right clicked the two DLLs one at a time and took ownership and renamed them gameux.dll.old.

You can get this awesome take ownership right click option from here: https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/add-take-ownership-to-explorer-right-click-menu-in-vista/

Just scroll all the way past the hand editing crap to the bottom and download the registry keys in one file from the link called, "Take Ownership Menu Hacks."

You should at least right click the registry file with Notepad ++ and have a look and make sure everything looks good first before adding it automatically. You should also either make a registry backup or a system restore point prior to messing with the registry.

In case that link no longer works in the future, it's in the wayback machine. https://web.archive.org/web/*/https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/add-take-ownership-to-explorer-right-click-menu-in-vista/

PS. I've always wondered. Does syswow mean system World Of Warcraft Microsoft edition? LOL Years ago there was a virus named wow.exe. Consequently, World Of Warcraft has the same process name.

Edited by CRJ_simpilot

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I have found another result of running Scannow - it will delete the file RICHTX32.OCX, required by the UK2000 FS2004 scenery, installed in the windows\system32 folder.

If you have any UK2000 scenery installed there is a copy of RICHTX32.OCX in the UK2000 folder: U:\FS9\uk2000 scenery.

David