Crater Lake to KLMT

Can you say "Falling off a cliff?" That's exactly what if feels like throwing off all that altitude so fast. And yes, that's the way it feels driving a Miata as well. But we did get a chance to see the lake very well and found it truly attractive.

Having said, as well as 2S7 was presented, I was a little disappointed that KLMT looked so desolate. I never actually went over to see that airport when I was there, so that may be accurate. What about it Pat?

Remember to click on each shot. Most of them have a little caption on the right, which you can't see unless you click on them

1 Heading out to Klamath Falls.jpg

2  Leaving the Mountain top.jpg

3 Lake in sight and 2S7 on far left.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6  Lake Fog.jpg

7 Start of Downwind to KLMT.jpg

8 Dam and Bridge.jpg

9  KLMT.jpg

10  Approach to KLMT.jpg

11  Touchdown and smoke at KLMT.jpg

12  Parked at KLMT.jpg

Other than KLMT looking so plain, based on my experience on my old road trip, I'd say ORBX hit this Oregon scenery out of the ball park. As I get the time I'll look at some other areas and hopefully they'll be worth posting as well. ;)

Michael

Edited by Rupert
Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Great shots there Michael! I like what ORBX did with the scenery! :pilot:

Senior Rookie Bragware: FSX Gold - Acceleration | HP Omen Obelisk Desktop | Intel Core i7 3.2 Ghz |16GB | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 | 1TB HD | 256 GB SSD (Gaming Computer)

REX Worldwide Airports HD

AS16 + ASCA

ORBX Global BASE

ORBX Freeware Airports

ORBX HD Trees

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Excellent shots Michael! That's really my kind of flight in an area I love to fly in. I thought I might try the TE Oregon out for myself but holy cow, I don't have enough empty space left on all of my drives combined to even download it! I guess I need to break down and buy myself a big-a$$ SSD specifically for Orbx scenery. Are you still running v4.5 or is that v5 BTW?

Great screenshot thread as always! :)

Jim

Jim,

I feel your pain!! And yes I do have a 1TB SSD for flying only.

I'm on v4.4 I think. :confused:

Take that back. It is 4.5. I'm not sure I'm ready to go to V5. I understand there are some, several, scenery issues involved. I've got way too much money in my current scenery to go forward unless it really is a proven advantage.

Yeah I'm still on v4.5 too, I only made the switch from v3.3 in January and I beat my head against the wall for a month trying to free up enough disk space to do that. I'm still on Win7 too, which I understand doesn't support DX12 so I'd need to upgrade to Win10 to run P3D v5. I too have read a lot about v5's issues, and now with FS2020 supposedly right around the corner? I probably should just build/buy a new PC but who knows what FS2020 will need for hardware at this point? I dunno what the heck to do, lol. Fly when I feel like flying and stop worrying about it I guess. :)

Jim, I agree 100%! I'm in a holding pattern waiting to see what v5 does as well as requires. Having said that, like you FS2020 is another big question/concern of mine.

What about the new Microsoft product?? I loved and used several Microsoft flying programs and hope 2020 will be as big a step up as any out there. Therefore I'm cooling my jets on any new build until I can decide which branded product seems to best meet my wants. ;)

As far as Windows 10? IMHO it's way too intrusive and wastes way too much time selling my info to others. Having said that, I don't know another way to fully utilize most of the fast hardware. So, with complaint, I am using it anyway.

Having said, as well as 2S7 was presented, I was a little disappointed that KLMT looked so desolate. I never actually went over to see that airport when I was there, so that may be accurate. What about it Pat?

Welllll....

Yes and no. Nothing like a straight answer, huh?

The civilian side of the airport is pretty dead. No commercial flights currently, not counting the package carriers. UPS, FedEx, and so forth. A little GA traffic, as well, but not a lot.

The military portion is pretty busy, though. Since this is the last active F-15 training base, every class goes through makes things perk up quite a bit. There is also an agressor squadron aboard the base, so they add to the military traffic.

It can get pretty busy at times, and since the pattern goes right over what's now the center of town, S 6th St, and Washburn (there's actually a VOR/TAC tower in the Bi-Mart parking lot!), there can be some loud sounds in that area. ALMOST everyone that hears the jets go over cheers for them, too! Good people here.

Does that answer the questions?

BTW, 2S7 can get a little busy during the summer. A couple GA planes are hangared here, and they do fly a fair amount. As well, 2S7 is a back-up base for the helicopters used for forest fires, to provide a refueling/re-watering location if KLMT is too busy, and a camp for the firemen that fight the forest fires. They put up tents, and can go to the stores in town for food, drinks, and so on. Even a couple restaurants they're more than welcome at.

Have fun all!

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D