Chiloquin Airport 2S7 To Crater Lake

I just downloaded the new ORBX scenery for Oregon. So having good friends and memories from around 2S7 and Crater Lake, I though I'd make the trip to check it out. Luckily Jan left an old Beech King Air there, or maybe I did, with fuel aboard so I'll use it.

Today we'll go up and look at the lake. As Aharon would say, stay tuned for the next exciting trip tomorrow. If there's fuel enough left, we'll fly down to Klamath Falls (KLMT) and land there then.

1 2S7 Duty.jpg

2S7 Virtual Shot.jpg

3  2S7 Approach.jpg

4 2S7 Final.jpg

5  Climbout.jpg

6 Climbing Towards the Lake.jpg

7  Peak Ahead.jpg

8  Lake Approach.jpg

9  Lake.jpg

10 Island.jpg

11 Island Back View.jpg

12  Lake Leaving.jpg

Enjoy! Hope to post more tomorrow!!

BTW: Your eyes aren't deceiving you. Yes, it's 1 July at Crater Lake as well as here. But they still have snow in the National Park and not all roads are open yet. I encountered the same thing there in late June a few years back. It's the altitude not attitude Dude!

Michael

Edited by Rupert
Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Nice pics Michael. that lake sure is blue! It's probably still cool/cold in the summer?

Thanks for sharing! Rick:cool:

Yes it is always very cold!! In fact on a calm and clear day you can actually see the water move. It's the difference between the heat of the water and the heat of the atmosphere. It is claimed to be scientifically proven among the cleanest water anywhere on earth.

Michael

Beautiful. I guess I’m going to have to get with it and check it out

Senior Rookie Bragware: FSX Gold - Acceleration | HP Omen Obelisk Desktop | Intel Core i7 3.2 Ghz |16GB | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 | 1TB HD | 256 GB SSD (Gaming Computer)

REX Worldwide Airports HD

AS16 + ASCA

ORBX Global BASE

ORBX Freeware Airports

ORBX HD Trees

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Interesting! You say, the heat of the water, it's warm, but the air is cool/cold?

Sorry for all the questions! - Rick :cool:

Exactly! It was late June when I was there, both in this post and RW. And the air temperature above 9,000' was still right around freezing, hence all the snow still blocking most of the roads. And of course deep into the crater, cave temp in the 50's came into play.

How deep is the water? According to what I read, about 1,949'!! :eek::eek:

Michael

Edited by Rupert

Not only is Crater Lake deep, it's sitting in the caldera of an active volcano. Yes, the "crater" part of Crater Lake was formed a long time ago when the volcano it's in blew it's top. The local Native American tribe, that has lived in Chiloquin for at least the last 11,000 years, has some very fascinating legends of what happened when Crater Lake formed. So do the other tribes in the area, The Yahuska, Klamath, and Modoc.

Given that the volcano it's formed of is still active, it's only a matter of time until Crater Lake vanishes in a huge cloud of steam. Like Mt. McLaughlin, Mt. Shasta, the Three Sisters, and all the rest. All active, all with lava moving around under them, all just biding their time. There WILL come a day when one or all will go off again. It won't be pretty for the humans in this area!

Until then, I love this place. It's quiet, peaceful, beautifull, and filled with the natural wonders of this area. Trees, Klamath and Agency Lakes, and all the animals, and birds, associated with this kind of area. Including the predators. Wolves, bears, cougars, hawks, Bald Eagles, owls...

I've even had a cougar come up on my back porch a few times, and look in through my sliding glass door at my kitties, all of whom did their best to threaten it to make it go away :D

Sorry. It's a beautiful flight area. Enjoy it!

Thanks for the pictures, Michael!

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D