Remote Landings

Using a suggestion at the "other" site, I'm taking off from my current location in LA and heading north. Mostly I'll be using smaller strips to land. Too bad the weather isn't great, will make for some interesting landings.

Taking off from KLAX

2020-6-29_15-22-25-112.jpg

First, Van Nuys.

2020-6-29_15-25-50-667.jpg

Then Fresno.

2020-6-29_15-39-0-969.jpg

Spent way too much time using these sims...

FS 5.1, FS-98, FS-2000, FS-2002, FS-2004, FSX, Flight, FSW, P3Dv3, P3Dv4, MSFS

Loving that scenery! Looking forward to more :pilot:

Senior Rookie Bragware: FSX Gold - Acceleration | HP Omen Obelisk Desktop | Intel Core i7 3.2 Ghz |16GB | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 | 1TB HD | 256 GB SSD (Gaming Computer)

REX Worldwide Airports HD

AS16 + ASCA

ORBX Global BASE

ORBX Freeware Airports

ORBX HD Trees

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

What a coincidence, not hitting too many small fields to start. Landing at Reno. Oh well, the weather is starting to lift a bit.

2020-6-29_16-57-5-275.jpg

Well, the best laid plans...

Actually I hadn't made any plans, I was just winging it. :D :D :D Get it? Winging it? Never mind.

I started to have problems shortly after. Things were failing all over, so I found a place I could divert to.

2020-6-29_22-28-25-472.jpg

2020-6-29_22-31-16-785.jpg

It looked like I'd be okay, but the nose gear failed to extend. I landed fine, but I'll have to see what I can get to continue my journey.

2020-6-29_22-42-7-596.jpg

Ooh, a nice, spiffy-looking Bonanza.

Not bad, although it doesn't have a moving map like the previous plane did. I'm close enough to Seattle that I'll head there and figure out what to do next.

From Seattle I headed north towards Vancouver.

2020-6-30_10-15-14-991.jpg

Along the way, there were lot's of little airports, the kind I had been originally planning to hit. But there isn't much to see at them so it was mostly TNGs then continue along.

2020-6-30_10-29-33-701.jpg

Finally, I stopped to visit my old virtual stomping grounds at Point Roberts. Way back when, I created scenery for this area. A long time ago...sigh...

2020-6-30_10-36-18-940.jpg

Andy,

IMHO that's your best series yet. Next time you get around Klamath Falls etc., make a trip north to Crater Lake. It looks very good in all sim scenery I've used. ;)

Michael

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Andy,

IMHO that's your best series yet. Next time you get around Klamath Falls etc., make a trip north to Crater Lake. It looks very good in all sim scenery I've used. ;)

Michael

It looks even better IRL :D

I don't think the roads are open yet though. Still quite a few feet of snow need to melt down, and we've had some pretty cool weather, slowing the process. It might have some roads open for the Fourth, but no promises.

BTW, sadly, Melita's has closed. No more flights in for $100.00 hamburgers :rolleyes:

Another place has opened in Chiloquin, though. Called JJ's. Operated by a Hispanic family, not that that matters any, and the man has had some real scary medical troubles lately. He's up in Bend, at the hospital. His wife and daughter are running it now, but no idea how much longer. Real nice folks. When it's open, though, the food is really good. He's a professional chef, and taught them both very well. Only take out orders allowed. Worth a try if you're in the area.

Have fun all!

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

It looks even better IRL :D

I don't think the roads are open yet though. Still quite a few feet of snow need to melt down, and we've had some pretty cool weather, slowing the process. It might have some roads open for the Fourth, but no promises.

BTW, sadly, Melita's has closed. No more flights in for $100.00 hamburgers :rolleyes:

Another place has opened in Chiloquin, though. Called JJ's. Operated by a Hispanic family, not that that matters any, and the man has had some real scary medical troubles lately. He's up in Bend, at the hospital. His wife and daughter are running it now, but no idea how much longer. Real nice folks. When it's open, though, the food is really good. He's a professional chef, and taught them both very well. Only take out orders allowed. Worth a try if you're in the area.

Have fun all!

Pat☺

Hey Pat,

I agree Crater Lake is great RW!! Kinda fun to drive around in June with 10' snow banks on each side of the road and the top down!

If all goes well, I'll be swinging your way again about June or so next year. Maybe we can try JJ's then.:cool:

Michael

Edited by Rupert
Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Landed at Vancouver where they had me touch down on runway 26A, the little weird one on the left.

2020-6-30_14-6-32-390.jpg

I didn't stay long, was back in the air and flying when I looked at the fuel gauges. Oops, should've topped up in Vancouver. I headed out to the coast and landed in...somewhere...to refuel, didn't get a shot.

Then I continued up north without paying a lot of attention to where I was or was going at first. Then I landed at Ketchikan.

2020-6-30_15-42-29-939.jpg

2020-6-30_15-45-55-632.jpg

26A runway number? Is that a Canadian thing? Cool shots! :pilot:

Senior Rookie Bragware: FSX Gold - Acceleration | HP Omen Obelisk Desktop | Intel Core i7 3.2 Ghz |16GB | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 | 1TB HD | 256 GB SSD (Gaming Computer)

AS16 + ASCA

ORBX Global BASE

ORBX Freeware Airports

ORBX HD Trees

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

26A runway number? Is that a Canadian thing? Cool shots! :pilot:

Yep, they do have a RWY 26A, a 3500' concrete runway! Their regular ILS runways, 26L and 26R are asphalt, 11962' and 9918' respectively!

As strange as it is, but it's there, maybe they had some leftover concrete from building construction and had to get rid of it?:rolleyes:

Rick :cool::cool:

Yep, they do have a RWY 26A, a 3500' concrete runway! Their regular ILS runways, 26L and 26R are asphalt, 11962' and 9918' respectively!

As strange as it is, but it's there, maybe they had some leftover concrete from building construction and had to get rid of it?:rolleyes:

Rick :cool::cool:

By golly....

AS16 + ASCA

ORBX Global BASE

ORBX Freeware Airports

ORBX HD Trees

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

From there I headed north to one of my favourite places to land, Mountain Top.

2020-6-30_18-2-2-975.jpg

That looks like a good spot to end this trip. Thanks everyone for reading, and for your comments.

I think I'll take something a little more heavy-duty to get home.

2020-6-30_19-1-44-364.jpg