RV-9A confused download error

liner simpilot

Did you read this in the panel instructions?

This panel works for FS2004 and FSX. Near the bottom of the panel.cfg file is located . This needs to be changed to fit FS2004 or FSX by removing (//) in front of lines needed and adding (//) in front of lines not needed.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Sorry mrzippy, I can usually follow your help. I am confused. Could you please make screen shot to show me what removing (//) in front of lines needed, (//) in front of lines not needed.

Many thanks

Kenny

Sorry, Kenny! I guess that readme file lied about the section of the panel.cfg.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

I went through all the read me files and I don't see anything that mentions how one would tailor the aircraft to make it work for FS2004. I did download it and install it to my FSX installation and it works with no issues. As I don't have FS2004 installed anymore I can't test in there. Based on you error I'm assuming the model is just not compatible with FS2004 like the file states. There is the oddity of two aircraft folders which I've never seen a plane have before.

I think the passage in question refers to the file, panel.DR/panel.cfg . . . . on the 2d section of the config there are two choices . . . . one with "color=0,0,0 and the other =16,16,16. It appears one would // those lines associated with the "0" color and un-// those associated with =16.

I will crash your FS2004. The model can't be loaded. It will load ok in FSX Accel. But it is all messed up due to panel (get your own panel). The sound is aliased (get your own sound). The gear is 1.5 ft too far back so it's tail heavy. You have to change to steerable (pt.0) in cnt pts or steering is locked. Generally too messed up for me to work on being that it only flys at 118 kts. Flaps have no drag or lift. Must use 4.5 pitch trim to land, etc, etc. I buryied it out behind the barn 10 FEET DEEP (hehe).

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

MY apologies for problems with RV9A. I do not like to download a plane that does not work. I designed this to work in both a long time back but have not used FS2004 for several years. Obviously I changed something. I will reinstall FS2004 and correct the problems. I do not use the 3D cockpit but I included one by copying and pasting one by Chuck Dome. I was not even sure one could do that but it works on my FSX setup. You have to use Shift + Backspace etc to position the cockpit where it is useful. J Dwayne Redding

The title of this thread caught my attention as I fly an RV-9A out of my home airport at the Brantford airport (CYFD). I am using X-Plane now on a Mac, but just installed Parallels with Windows 10 to be ready for MSFS 2020. Would be really cool to fly the RV-9A with the level of detailed scenery in 2020!

Hey JD,

This is a unique airplane. And as such, I will help you with the various things I see is not right. Not wrong, but not right. It can be a very nice airplane to fly low & slow. I was kidding about scraping it. I was going to work on it tonight. I just had to go play 9 ball at 4 pm (do it daily, 7 days a week, only missed 5 days in 2019). But I am back at 6 pm and will work on it tonight. Not sure why it crashed my FS9 and I tried several things but no luck. I got a different panel, etc. So it must be a model problem? I downloaded the original (2014 by Chuck Dome). It was never intended to work in FS9 so maybe you should give it up - it's for FSX only. My impression, of course. I looked for a RV-9 Vans for FS9, googled back to 2007, and I can not find one. There might be RV6 and RV7 somwhere but not RV9. Cheers.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

I do not know who said what, I remember several but now it seems your comment is the only one that I see. I discovered that the panel.cfg for the Green model of RV9a did not have the // in front of the autotrim gauge. The slash marks need to be in front to block the autotrim in the 2D and also the 3D Virtual cockpit. This makes the plane fly as it should. I was thinking this was something I could blame Chuck Dome for but I am guilty of missing the problem. Just know that I use the not steerable nose wheel as is the actual plane.. I did not feel capable of positioning the cockpit view when selecting the virtual cockpit, so I use Shift+ backspace or Shift + Enter to move the view up or down.

Ctrl + backspace or Ctrl + Enter to move forward and backward. Ctrl + Shift + backspace or C + S + Enter to move L or R. I am sorry for the trouble I caused. I still believe the plane is fun. At this time the FS2004 does not work. -- J Dwayne Redding

Well I installed the original (2014) and it flys VERY well, auto trim included. The auto trim works good - I like it. There was no 'differential_braking_scale=' line. I added it and made it '=0.8' which is sufficient. I did switch to the steerable and with differential braking even the other option works ok (trick is to TAP, TAP, TAP the differential braking as you taxi/turn and not just hold it down).The Panels are fabulous. Nice job. I did nothing and the views were ok. The trick (I do believe) is to have 'WideViewAspect=True' in fsx cfg (Display) section. Someone said: 'if the real one flys like the fs one then WOW'. I second that. Very nice. I did find that all the files were 'BLOCKED' so went 'properties' and unblocked them all, just for kicks. I think this is a keeper. So there is only one or 2 things that need changed. Otherwise it is payware quality, especially when you throw in the 2d and VC panels! TBC.

Chuck B

Napamule

Too many simmers to thank, so thank you to all that responded. When I did this posting, I thought it would create a small fix, apparently it's more. I mostly fly liners, but this RV9 looked great detail as I live in small town central AZ in Mtn area, and every weekend mostly a club or sometimes just a few RV's come up to airport from mostly Phoenix area. But again thanks, maybe I will check back from time to time to see if any fixes. Also like to thank all the designers that love this hobby to create these.

Kenny :-)

The original zip (2014) named 'rv-9a.zip', 1,864 kb, by Chuck Dome, did not need any fix and worked good in FSX. The later upload by JD Redding is 2 paints and I don't know what he changed in air file or cfg. Perhaps the line 'reference_datum_position= 0, 0, 0// 1.112,0.0,0.0' alone WOULD mess it up. Change to 'reference_datum_position=1.112, 0.000, 0.000'. THAT is VERY important.

To further imporve it:

(1). reduce the braking from '=2.5' to '=1.0' and add 'differential_braking_scale=0.8' to (Brakes) section.

(2). add line 'WideViewAspect=True' to fsx cfg (Display) section (fixes panel view 'problem').

(3). change cnt pts line for (pt.0) to 'steerable' as opposed to 'freewheeling'.

(4). KEEP the auto trim line - it works good.

That's IT! go fly it an see.

Chuck B

Napamule

Thanks napamule2 for your assistance. I followed your reply, still did not load up. I wondering if it's something to do with .air file even though this is suppose to be for both 2004/FSX?. Also when I went to load up to fly again the error message is MDL what is this file? whatever this is, is why it will not load up. Maybe this still is only for FSX & not 2004 which I have, what a shame as I would like to add to my library of planes.

Kenny

Yes the RV-9a is ONLY for FSX. It is not for FS9. No it's not the air file, it's a 'native' FSX model (MDL) so FS9 can't handle this type model, I guess. I don't know if it's GMax or FSDS either - they didn't say. At any rate it can't be 'fixed'. I believe there were payware FS9 models (RV-6, RV-7, RV-8) but I do not 'do' anything payware as I do not need them that bad and can live without them.

Chuck B

Napamule

Again thanks for your help in resolving this. I hate when you go to 2004 new aircraft's, you see one that says both but to find out its only for FSX in 2004 area. I too agree the free downloads to me is just as good to fly. I have a lot of them as well as the airports. I mostly fly liners classic and today's liners, all good. I appreciate these guys that do these free downloads. But once in awhile I come upon what looks like a nice AC, just to find out it's only FSX in 2004 area. I am always looking. I understand this is older FS9 but I have too much stuff such as pedals, yoke free downloads plus need to build a powerful computer to handle FSX, some simmers are going back to FS9.

Kenny