FSX on Windows 10

I'm trying to install FSX on Windows 10 but am having some issues. After install when I start the program, it tells me five scenery location could not be located. I did a reinstall/repair, but no change. I also am not getting the activation notice. Any ideas>

Hi Steve,

More details are required -

What version of FSX - i.e. FSX boxed deluxe, FSX boxed Gold, Steam version etc

Regarding the scenery areas - i.e. give an example of the error message and more importantly the Area XXX numbers would be helpful...

Some possible solutions based on assumption of possible causes

FSX versions -

All versions should be installed anywhere OUTSIDE of the default suggested location as Win 10 security permission can cause issue for some - suggest a location such as C:\FSX (note: irrespective of where you install the main program some files will still be installed into default locations BUT they are locations not controlled by Win 10 security)

If you have the Gold version - this is the Deluxe version plus the Acceleration addon....if you install both parts together you will get issues similar to what you have described

You need to install the main Deluxe part first, start and activate it and conduct quick test flight. This will create a number of essential files that are only created when you first run the sim (for example the scenery.cfg file, the FSX.cfg file and the pilot logbook for example. Exit FSX and then install the Accel addon, start FSX and then activate the Accel addon - tihs process will then update a number of essential files including scenery.cfg and FSX.cfg

A quick way that may sort out the missing scenery errors is to delete the current scenery.cfg file - which you will find at C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX - start FSX and it will rebuild a new one.

Regards

Brian

This is the boxed Deluxe version. An example of the error message is: Scenery.cfg error. local scenery directory (scenery\cities\reno\scenery) in scenery area.116 no found. I have acceleration but have not tried to install it yet.

Did you install Acceleration improperly, I wonder. The Repair of FSX perhaps took the "missing" sceneries out. I have 5 scenery cities installed 1hour after the initial install of FSX (Acceleration install) and Reno is included in the 'later' install. I'm going to recommend starting over and install the two components correctly and when Acceleration is installed you should have those missing scenery folders included again.

2020-06-18 0701.13.035.jpg

Loyd

Hooked since FS4... now flying:

self-built i7-4790 at 4 GHz; GA-Z97X mobo; GTX 970; 16GB gskill;

quiet, fast and cool running.

Win 7/64: 840 EVO OS; 840 EVO (500G) game drive;

Win10/64: 850 EVO (500G) for OS and games

A few Flightsim videos on YouTube at CanyonCorners

Hi Steve,

I concur with Loyd - although you state that you haven't tried to install accel yet, you must have at some stage because reno is new scenery that is not included in the deluxe version. Even more so if the other error messages point to those other areas highlighted in Loyd's screenshot

Regards

Brian