Flight Sim and Welding

Rebrecs

When I first got off of the hamster wheel and out of the hamster cage ( i.e. retired ) I started attending the local community colleges. One of my post-hamster adventures was to get a welding certificate. My experience so far in flying simulations is shaping up identically to the Welding school.

When I first started welding, it was easy. Hey, look at me, I can do this. Whats the big deal ... Yeah, that changed pretty quickly once I actually started doing real work. I am going through the same thing now, with this simulator. In my first week, hey look at me I can do this... not saying that anymore.

So you want to be a welder? Ok. But, just so you know, in a welding job that takes 4 hours to complete, you will very likely be welding for about 10 - 15 minutes. The rest of it is preparation, and lots of it.

So I am getting to that same place with my flights. I find myself sitting in the glow of the instruments on a ramp somewhere in the pre-dawn hours working on all the various contingencies for the flight plan, and configuring the cockpit so I will be able to get to everything I need to get to -- quickly. ( I feel defeated if I have to hit "pause," but I do it -- a lot. still ) So, its a 10 minute flight from Pensacola to Eglin, that takes an hour if you wanna get everything right. See what I mean? I suppose the very experienced pilots can do it a lot quicker. I'm looking forward to that. The welding jobs go quicker -- but I had to learn a lot about cutting, grinding, and cleaning... in the pre-dawn hours, in a driveway somewhere. ATC is not my friend (yet). Here we have an airport with three great straight in ILS feathered beauties -- and they give me the dang DME arc. It happens so often that now, it is one of the things I do, back on the ramp before I take off. I figure out what in the heck I'm gonna do when they give me the crappy runway.

Thanks for listening. I imagine the moderators might kick me out since this is not 100% relevant to Flight Sim, but ...

Have a great day.

When I first got off of the hamster wheel and out of the hamster cage ( i.e. retired ) I started attending the local community colleges. One of my post-hamster adventures was to get a welding certificate. My experience so far in flying simulations is shaping up identically to the Welding school.

When I first started welding, it was easy. Hey, look at me, I can do this. Whats the big deal ... Yeah, that changed pretty quickly once I actually started doing real work. I am going through the same thing now, with this simulator. In my first week, hey look at me I can do this... not saying that anymore.

So you want to be a welder? Ok. But, just so you know, in a welding job that takes 4 hours to complete, you will very likely be welding for about 10 - 15 minutes. The rest of it is preparation, and lots of it.

So I am getting to that same place with my flights. I find myself sitting in the glow of the instruments on a ramp somewhere in the pre-dawn hours working on all the various contingencies for the flight plan, and configuring the cockpit so I will be able to get to everything I need to get to -- quickly. ( I feel defeated if I have to hit "pause," but I do it -- a lot. still ) So, its a 10 minute flight from Pensacola to Eglin, that takes an hour if you wanna get everything right. See what I mean? I suppose the very experienced pilots can do it a lot quicker. I'm looking forward to that. The welding jobs go quicker -- but I had to learn a lot about cutting, grinding, and cleaning... in the pre-dawn hours, in a driveway somewhere. ATC is not my friend (yet). Here we have an airport with three great straight in ILS feathered beauties -- and they give me the dang DME arc. It happens so often that now, it is one of the things I do, back on the ramp before I take off. I figure out what in the heck I'm gonna do when they give me the crappy runway.

Thanks for listening. I imagine the moderators might kick me out since this is not 100% relevant to Flight Sim, but ...

Have a great day.

The problem with welding is planning, then carrying out, the job. The problem with flying is landing, and planning for it: N E FULE can take-off.

Two VERY different attributes to be learnt....

I can understand this since I took up welding in Job Corp and have flown the PMDG 737 NG in FS2004. So the analogy is correct in the since it takes planning and preparation to carry out the task at hand. Even in welding it can almost be like an exact science where you need to have a welding bead that is say 3/16" high and on the opposite side a welding bead that's 1/2" high. And that's just a simple T weld. Never mind a vertical up or something else more complicated. And of course we can't leave out the enormous complexity of deep sea welding.

When I slowly learned the checklist of the plane, how to program the FMC and what not, to me it was like riding a bike. I knew practically everything by heart and breezed right through programming the FMC. The fun lies in the unexpected. It could be an inflight emergency or vectors you weren't prepared for. Now in the game's ATC it's all straight forward and for the most part predictable. But in VATSIM it can be different and you should know your aircraft prior to doing that least you look like a fool and/or get kicked from the server.

In real life I know that if you are training in a certain aircraft, you take off and land constantly doing circuits in that plane. This way you drill all that into your head and are familiar with the aircraft. I guess the same can be said for astronauts. You train constantly in the simulator and in mock ups, etc. I think astronauts have to be some of the most talented people out there. Not only would you have to be proficient in aeronautics and what have you, but math and science. Not saying commercial pilots don't have any math to deal with, but with a "space scientist" you are probably solving complex equations, using trigonometry and other stuff. Then there's also math involved with welding. From measuring the metal to be cut and fabricated to the very size of the welding bead depending on what you're welding.

I never turned welding into a career because it's simply too hazardous. The fumes from the slack are cancerous and then the arc its self is brighter than the sun and can give you skin cancer. It's alright for a short stint in life I guess and it does pay very well, and in fact there is a need for welders, but it's just not my forte. Those that do deep sea welding are exposed to even more hazardous conditions.

Edited by CRJ_simpilot

In a nutshell, I think you are trying to do and learn too much all at once. The first thing is really knowing how to fly a particular airplane and understanding the gauges and their operation inside and out. Flying with proficiency is all about repetition. A good pilot is always learning. One step at a time and mastering each aspect until it becomes routine and second nature.

When I slowly learned the checklist of the plane, how to program the FMC and what not, to me it was like riding a bike.

Programming the FMC ? That sounds interesting. I don't know what that is. But if it is what I suspect it is - it may be what I have been hoping for. I will see what I can find.

What I have so far felt was missing in my very limited understanding of FSX - was a way to store some things that are useful in contingencies. is that the same as "procedures?" I dunno yet.

What causes me grief is one must be practically right on top of an airport before even knowing which runway will be assigned. In places where each runway requires a very different set up - I have to hit pause and scratch my head for a while, and figure out what to do.

I would really like to push some buttons and use my "already figured it out" plan from some stored place that interfaces with autopilot.

I would also like to be able to change the GPS waypoint sequence if I want to - right there 20 nm out. Apparently GPS is a one trick pony , only reads FSX flight plans which so far has been really clumsy when doable at all.

Good example is destination KLAS las vegas. There is not a lot of room in that "bowl" to be screwing around at the last minute

In a nutshell, I think you are trying to do and learn too much all at once. .

Very insightful. Is that showing through? I take pills for that - but it seems to make it worse.

To your point, I have settled on one airplane. Airplane "hopping" was kind of necessary in the beginning - as you can imagine. I found one that fits. I am indeed trying to learn "us" inside and out.

In the spirit of what you have submitted, it was/is good advice.

Go slow to go fast. I used to practice that.. but let it get away from me somewhere along the trail.

Very insightful. Is that showing through? I take pills for that - but it seems to make it worse.

To your point, I have settled on one airplane. Airplane "hopping" was kind of necessary in the beginning - as you can imagine. I found one that fits. I am indeed trying to learn "us" inside and out.

In the spirit of what you have submitted, it was/is good advice.

Go slow to go fast. I used to practice that.. but let it get away from me somewhere along the trail.

Start with real flight controls. And no more keyboard... Rudder pedals save an awful lot of time, and bad flying!