FSX and Steam FSX

mjhjr1

What about other differences ?

I have only used FSX Steam Edition so I don't have a way to know if electing to use the Steam wrapper was a good decision.

Any comments on, say, performance? Support?

Steam already contains all the mods from a single installation.

differences: about 100 all in benefit of Steam

most relevant:

- No authorization - keycode issues: Steam=buy once - use allways...Install as may times as you want.

- Steam : FSX Integrity-check is allways available.

- All FSX updates included in your first Steam Installation.

- Compared to Boxed : much more stable as long as you have a system with sufficient strength to run it.

- in All : as long as you follow normal FSX rules like : Scenery Layer sequence: Mesh/Landclass/Scenery

and other normal FSX conditions you may also find as I actually did find that steam is better better.

Just take care when you have FSX boxed installed and you decide to replace it by FSX SE first make sure you uninstall , delete, remove every trace of your old FSX wherever present in you system.

So uninstall through Controll panel - programs , use explorer (set show hidden and system files)

to delete every FSX folder and file present in your: Name/App data/Roaming//// FSX and //App Data /local Microsoft.... and C:/Program Data/Microsoft FSX...... and the remaining Root folder of FSX

after doing the Control Panel/Uninstall.

regards: Peter

Edited by piet06273

I5 12600K - RTX3060TI - 32GB 3600 - M2 - WIN11 - FS8/9/X - MSFS - full ORBX UTX etc. 

zweefvlieg1987s.jpg

It is exactly the same software program. Steam (dovetail) bought permission from Microsoft to sell fsx. Steam did not get permission to change fsx. So, same modules, same .exe, same planes, same default scenery, everything just the same as fsx-acceleration. Edited by il88pp
[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

One of the main advantages in Steam that does not exist in the FSX disc set is that you are able to verify the integrity of all the FSX files to possibly detect and correct a problem. The last resort with FSX Gold is doing a complete and tedious reinstall.

The Steam integrity app is located on the Dovetail Games/Steam home page...

It is exactly the same software program. Steam (dovetail) bought permission from Microsoft to sell fsx. Steam did not get permission to change fsx. So, same modules, same .exe, same planes, same default scenery, everything just the same as fsx-acceleration.

NOT strictly correct. Steam includes many sequential, and incremental, mods from FSX.

FSX was released on 13 October 2006, and FSX: Steam on December 14 December 2014. A LOT was covered during that time.... not least of which were the two hotfixes, which contained cumulative updates, along with summary mods made since release.

re: Peter's comment to remove FSX disk...

I did not remove anything. I wanted both. Everything was separate between the two installs; original showed up as FSX, Steam showed up as FSX SE in all instances. This is per Steam instructions: there is no conflict when I installed it. Has something changed??

I now run disk FSX on win7 and FSX-SE on win10; different environments, still no conflict. Sims share a common drive with scenery and extra aircraft (also used by P3d). No issues so far.

I do however bring my current logbook into each new install, no way I'm giving up an 11,000 hour history!

Loyd

Hooked since FS4... now flying:

self-built i7-4790 at 4 GHz; GA-Z97X mobo; GTX 970; 16GB gskill;

quiet, fast and cool running.

Win 7/64: 840 EVO OS; 840 EVO (500G) game drive;

Win10/64: 850 EVO (500G) for OS and games

A few Flightsim videos on YouTube at CanyonCorners