low level flying

ORBX scenery is very good for low level flying, which is part of the reason that my flying has tended to be in areas where I have ORBX scenery (pretty much everything they have for FSX/P3D V2).

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

ORBX scenery is very good for low level flying, which is part of the reason that my flying has tended to be in areas where I have ORBX scenery (pretty much everything they have for FSX/P3D V2).

I can also endorse ORBX. I use it for low-level navigation in real life.

Mainly in the vicinity of airports/airfields.

For my FSX set up I've got an i7, 2600s, 8gb ram, running x2 g cards gtx1050ti 4gb and a gtx 1060 6gb, I've got x5 external views and x2 instrument views, will it struggle to run ORBX (or anything for that matter at a good level) do you think?I can get 30fps but the settings are at medium at best and the fps takes a 50% hit if add on scenery are encountered.....

Except at extremely detailed airports (mostly separate purchases), I've not seen any appreciable change in performance with ORBX on either FSX or on P3D V2. That was true of a friend, as well, so likely you'll have a similar experience.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

For my FSX set up I've got an i7, 2600s, 8gb ram, running x2 g cards gtx1050ti 4gb and a gtx 1060 6gb, I've got x5 external views and x2 instrument views, will it struggle to run ORBX (or anything for that matter at a good level) do you think?I can get 30fps but the settings are at medium at best and the fps takes a 50% hit if add on scenery are encountered.....

I have a single screen, and also use a gtx1060 and had no frame rate problems in FSX when I used that sim. I now use P3d.

I do, however, restrict max frame rate to 30fps.

You would need to try it for yourself.

You wrote: 'running x 2 g cards'. Does this mean that you have 2 video cards installed? SLI? I seem to remember someone saying it's detrimental to FSX to have 2 video cards installed and in SLI. Correct me if I am wrong.

I also have THE i7 2600K, not overclocked, just turbo boost enabled for when needed, and I get 30 fps with FSX. But it took tweaking fsx cfg to keep it there. Best CPU EVER!!!!! 9 yrs old and still kicks butt.

If I added ORBX scenery I would perhaps get 20 fps? So I CAN'T get ORBX. So when I want trees, hills, rivers, lakes and dirt strips I go to Montana, or Idaho and fly 'low & slow' there. There is enough free scenery (less hit on frames) for those states and to 'experience' that you will be 'over there' until the cows come home. I spent 2 yrs in Montana and Idaho (lost hard drive and scenery) but I am not done yet so I'm going back some day. Doing other stuff right now. But no hurry. I am retarded, errr, I mean retired, so I take is SLOW - NO STRESS.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

yes I have 2 graphics cards installed an MSI gtx10503gb and gtx1060 6gb, not sure on the SLi..... the frame rate is set to 30 max, but like I said if I fly into an area that has some addon scenery the fps takes quite a hit.....I would have thought the system specs would have been adequate for the task but not so sure....

I've got FCS world landscapes v2 installed so that the world looks more hilly etc than the standard FSX world looks.....

Would I need to uninstall all the add on stuff and FCS world landscapes before installing ORBX and then loading them all back in again?

On installing ORBX.... first off; they used to do Olympic peninsula for free so you can try it... maybe gone now, don't know. Install order shouldn't matter, what does matter is the scenery display priority, Orbx will need to be at the top or the other sceneries merely disable. Rarely is there a need to Remove scenery. Tasmania and Iceland were also freebies at one time. I am NOT current on Orbx products.

They are definitely worth having.... New Zealand is Stunning!

There are a couple of How to's on setting windows and FSX up for best performance. I used "Nick's bible" for Win7 and I've been satisfied for 5 years now. It's not too late to go back and tune your system and FSX.

Loyd

Hooked since FS4... now flying:

self-built i7-4790 at 4 GHz; GA-Z97X mobo; GTX 970; 16GB gskill;

quiet, fast and cool running.

Win 7/64: 840 EVO OS; 840 EVO (500G) game drive;

Win10/64: 850 EVO (500G) for OS and games

A few Flightsim videos on YouTube at CanyonCorners

On installing ORBX.... first off; they used to do Olympic peninsula for free so you can try it... maybe gone now, don't know. Install order shouldn't matter, what does matter is the scenery display priority, Orbx will need to be at the top or the other sceneries merely disable. Rarely is there a need to Remove scenery. Tasmania and Iceland were also freebies at one time. I am NOT current on Orbx products.

They are definitely worth having.... New Zealand is Stunning!

There are a couple of How to's on setting windows and FSX up for best performance. I used "Nick's bible" for Win7 and I've been satisfied for 5 years now. It's not too late to go back and tune your system and FSX.

Loyd

Don't use that. The advise is basically a decade old and not relevant, save for the most basic of set ups.