Who is still using and working on Golden Wings?

leuen

As there isn't any site dedicated to Golden Wings and vintage era, I here try to get in touch with some people still using Golden Wings and working on it. On other sites the interest seems to be extremely little. I would like to share some experience and further extentions of the vintage world. Would be glad to get some feedback. Thanks anyway.

Bernard

Thanks Robin. I know that you still are one of the very few GW aficionados. You already said that on other sites.

One of the main problem with GWE is the fact, that default GW traffic and some others use default airports. Let f.i.flying a DC-3 from Paris Charles de Gaulle to Hong Kong Chek Lap Kok is an absolute nonsens. Also I don't want to have all the modern airports in my GW world. Therefore I deleted all AB9xxxxx.bgl and AP9xxxxx.bgl files as well as the object files (OB9xxxxx.bgl).Regrettably I now miss all famous buildings like the Empire State, Buckingham Palace or Eiffel tower.That's the price.

So finally I'm struggling with recreate basic airfields to allow the get the other GW traffic mostly included in scenery packages to run in a vintage environment.

Needless to say that creating historic flights like those done by Alan Cobham, Chichester or Douglas World Cruiser will be a tremendous work. But at least it's fascinating to search, know and understand how the world was in the Thirties.

Bernard

Hi Bernard, what I did as well, was to combine GW with Garry Smith's Ford Tri-Motor Project scenery.

Garry did say that simming is all about Fun, Facts & Fiction. & his scenery goes great with the era.

Maybe it's not 'true' scenery, but for me, still a great deal of fun.

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

Hi Bernard,

I have a separate Golden Wings install, and use it extensively

to re-create the very challenging early years of commercial

air travel in the US and I love it, and it is pretty much my go

to sim at the moment, I spend more time on it than FSX!!,

that for sure.

I use the fantastic DC2, Boeing 247 and 247D, and a DC3

that has been adjusted specifically for this early type of

flying, plus any other correct period aircraft, and also the

excellent "Radio Range" navigation system to make it really

authentic. To make it really interesting, I have installed some

good terrain mesh for the USA and the fantastic "Ice Gauge"

by Charles Owen that actually makes your windscreen freeze

over during icing conditions, now that is cool!, literally.

Radio Range DC3 here, 5th from bottom:

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/fslib.php?searchid=78103278

Radio Range here:

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/fslib.php?searchid=78102760

Ice Gauge is here 2nd from bottom:

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/fslib.php?searchid=78103312

I found a website that has investigations into Air Accidents in

the USA between 1934 and 1965, and although they make for

very sober reading, they include a lot of of information, such

as flight plan, route, time and date, weather, nav aids, fuel

and a lot of other info that enables me to re-create quite accurately

many of these early flights, and yes I can confirm it can go wrong,

as most of these cross country flights were at night, and with

some decent terrain mesh can be reproduced pretty accurately.

I have completed coast to coast flights, as well as some of

the shorter scheduled flights and using the Radio Range system,

it really makes me appreciate how hard this type of flying was,

but it is great to "get on the beam", find your destination and

pull off a landing.

The reports also bring home how dangerous and unforgiving

these early commercial flights were, but as with all accident

investigation reports, the information gained from these long

and painstaking investigations, have gradually made air travel

what it is today. The link is below.

https://dotlibrary.specialcollection.net/Contents

You will have to navigate back to the home page, make an

account and log in, but it is fine, I've never had a problem.

Enjoy proper flying,

cheers

Richard

Intel Core i7-4770K CPU Overclocked @ 4.60 GHz (Hyperthreading off) Cooler Master Liquid Cooling System 16 GB G-Skill DDR3 Nvidia GeForce GTX1050Ti 4 GB Graphics Card 500GB WD Blue 3D SSD SATA III x4 Creative Sound Z Ultra High-Performance Sound Card 5.1Ch 24BitAvermedia HD-C985 video capture card CH Yoke and Rudder Deepcool Tesseract Mid Tower PC Case NZXT Grid+ V2 Fan Controller + 3 case fans Windows10 64 Professional FS9 - FSX -FSX-SE Track Hat

i7-4770K 4.60 GHz (Hyperthreading off) Liquid Cooling 16GB G-Skill DDR3 GeForce GTX1050Ti 4GB 500GB WD Blue 3D SSD SATA III x4 Creative Sound Z Sound Card 5.1Ch 24BitAvermedia video capture card CH Yoke and Rudder NZXT Fan Controller Windows10 64 Prof FS9 - FSX -FSX-SE Track Hat

I also have a collection of suitable boats & cars, so I create my own adventures as well.

Have a look for Bugatti Adventures at http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links_search.php

This is Lionheart's former payware package with 10 aircraft, 3 scenery installations, AI traffic, and 26 missions that bring you into the life of a air racer pilot back in the 1940's. It is centered around the wild and fantastic Bugatti air racer, a wild bullet shaped, 'rocket' like plane with twin dual opposed propellors and fitted with two 'Formula One' Grand Prix racing engines, each specially case in Magnesium for extremely light weight. They were dual overhead cam, straight eight engines, each fitted with a Super Charger, sporting phenominal torque that was fed into a large gear box in the nose of the plane which then poured the power into the dual opposed props at the nose cone.

Very worthy indeed to add into Golden Wings.

• Like 1

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

• 2 years later...

A few months ago I asked the question about the whereabouts of the Golden Wings supporters here. Apparently they have all disappeared. There were some who wanted to live the history of aviation and honored the creations of Bill Lyons, Tom Constantine, Alexander Belov, Dennis Simanaitis and everyone else.

It's embarrassing to realize that all of this just disappears into the virtual trash can!. Travel Air, Piper Cub, Waco, Golden Hawaii: Forgot it all? Are you really so uninterested in the aviation pioneers and their heroic deeds in a suitable environment?

Bernard

A few months ago I asked the question about the whereabouts of the Golden Wings supporters here. Apparently they have all disappeared. There were some who wanted to live the history of aviation and honored the creations of Bill Lyons, Tom Constantine, Alexander Belov, Dennis Simanaitis and everyone else.

It's embarrassing to realize that all of this just disappears into the virtual trash can!. Travel Air, Piper Cub, Waco, Golden Hawaii: Forgot it all? Are you really so uninterested in the aviation pioneers and their heroic deeds in a suitable environment?

Bernard

No, we just migrated to a more modern platform.

You are aware this sim was released in 2003? It was superceded in 2006.... I have shoes older than that!

Bernard

I’ve had it but never installed it,,,until a coupe days ago. Slowly adding scenery - from the Ford Tri Motor site, SOH etc. I’ve added a few aircraft by D. F. Molyneaux such as the DH83 Fox Moth. So much fun to fly!!

I’m planning on doing some flights around India since I have that scenery package as well from the Ford Tri Motor site.

I’m always slow to get around to doing things like this. But already I’m finding it more than worthwhile!!

Absolutely NOT superseded…by any sim available. My Stupendous Full Sight 20/20 vision is assured of this fact. ;)

No, we just migrated to a more modern platform.

You are aware this sim was released in 2003? It was superceded in 2006.... I have shoes older than that!

There is a flight simulator which is as old as FS9 and still goes well. Have a look at SimOuhouse! Just curious that you are still reading posts here ...

Bernard

I’ve had it but never installed it,,,until a coupe days ago.

Thanks for having replied and 'outed' as 'middle age' flyer! At least one more of the last Mohicans. Probably I have to share more some experiences here than elsewhere.

Bernard

Thanks for having replied and 'outed' as 'middle age' flyer! At least one more of the last Mohicans. Probably I have to share more some experiences here than elsewhere.

Bernard

I was slowly getting there. I have a lot of the calclassics stuff. I love flying my Connie and DC-6. Did. 7+ hour flight in the 6 the other day. That’s where I spend most of my time.

But I’m enthralled by the prospect of zooming around at 80mph in a biplane in the ‘1920’ and 30’s. :)

It’s also still on my radar to fly the USA - Australia route that Charles Kingsford Smith did in the Fokker VIIB in real time. No auto pilot. No gps. Disable ctrl-s look down view and ctrl-z so I can’t see lat / long positions (flew the Atlantic like this in the Connie with only the bubble sextant and the ship reporting stations. Love it).

GW3 is definitely worth trying and experiencing!

At least you might copy all AP9xxxxx.bgl files in the main Scenery folder in a backup folder. Afterwards delete them completely. So all Afcads will disappear. I reactivate the backup folder to backdate needed airports. But doing this way, the default airport buildings will not be deleted. For this purpose you should use ExcBuilder. It mainly concerns the larger airports which aren't removed by GW3.

I wouldn't delete the AB9xxxxx.bgl files as they generate the airport ground textures which eventually should still be used while backdating as airfields.

Airports buildings are generated by the OB9xxxxxbgl files.

These generate also landclass buildings like f.i. the Empire State. I don't think you would like to have them gone.

Bernard

I'm a Golden Wings fan - for me it is the only reason I keep using FS9!

One of the pioneers — Dennis Simanaitis is still active online, he has his own interesting blog:

https://simanaitissays.com/

He is still creating models for FS9, but just not releasing them to the public. However, if you ask nicely...

If you look at the activity on Sim Outhouse, there is still a lot of activity around FS9 aircraft, with many of them being "vintage" ones. What I like about SOH is that a group of very talented repainters and modders are actively improving older models.

Of course, FS9 is far from dead — there is even a dedicated FS9 web site: https://fs2004.team/forum/ though, admittedly, the majority of its members are into modern airliners, and the site is mostly (but not exclusively) in German. At least there, they don't allow trolls whose only purpose in life is to demonstrate their supposed superiority by reminding us (again and again) that FS9 was issued in 2003...

I do not want to have "as real as it gets" — I prefer "adventure based on imagination"!

Edited by lastivka

Visit FSXMissionsHangar.com

For Missions in FSX and P3D

Sounds scary!!

Doing a search I may be able to do an exclude etc for the airports I want removed.

It isn't scary at all. If you first backup Scenery folder, there will be no risk to try. It's just a matter of willing to get the default airports out or not. Sometimes unconventional methods could be successful.

I'm more concerned about reducing or replacing high buildings. Eventually it might be a question of suitable textures. But which ones?

Bernard

Edited by leuen

I'm a Golden Wings fan - for me it is the only reason I keep using FS9!

One of the pioneers — Dennis Simanaitis is still active online, he has his own interesting blog:

https://simanaitissays.com/

He is still creating models for FS9, but just not releasing them to the public. However, if you ask nicely...

If you look at the activity on Sim Outhouse, there is still a lot of activity around FS9 aircraft, with many of them being "vintage" ones. What I like about SOH is that a group of very talented repainters and modders are actively improving older models.

Of course, FS9 is far from dead — there is even a dedicated FS9 web site: https://fs2004.team/forum/ though, admittedly, the majority of its members are into modern airliners, and the site is mostly (but not exclusively) in German. At least there, they don't allow trolls whose only purpose in life is to demonstrate their supposed superiority by reminding us (again and again) that FS9 was issued in 2003...

I do not want to have "as real as it gets" — I prefer "adventure based on imagination"!

👍👍👍

have u visited this site? . . . . http://thefreeflightsite.com/GW3.htm

That site closed down mid 2020... :(

The good news :) is that the "Free Flight Site" is now hosted on Sim-Outhouse here:

http://sim-outhouse.com/freeflight/

Sim-Outhouse also hosts the now-defunct "The Old Hangar" here:

https://www.sim-outhouse.com/toh/

Edited by lastivka

Visit FSXMissionsHangar.com

For Missions in FSX and P3D