Is the "Airports Near You" list only way to talk to tower?

Rebrecs

Hi, hope folks are all doing well.

I have been looking for a way to contact a destination airport tower other than waiting for it to show up in the "Airports Near You" List. (including the Airports Further Away (option 9))

Because I am a novice, I would like to have more time to get things setup. I would especially like to know which runway they are going to assign me. By the time the destination airport appears in the ATC menu ("near and farther from you" list) it is too late. The preparation required will inevitably require the use of the Pause button. I try to avoid using the Pause - in order to get used to the pressure and learning to do things quickly. But often, there is just not enough time.

I'm hoping to find a way to manually enter the frequency (versus "autotune") and call them while I am still a few more miles out.

I would also love to know what the real world expectations are regarding how many miles out, etc. is appropriate to contact a tower under VFR.

I just got my copy of FAR AIM 2020. The answer to the real world question may be in there. However, I need to order another book that explains how to read that book first :-)

Independent of that, the FSX related question is really what I hope to find out about.

Thank you in advance. Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

--JM

I would also love to know what the real world expectations are regarding how many miles out, etc. is appropriate to contact a tower under VFR.

That is dependent on the airport. Of course not all airports have towers to talk to, but of those that do, they're mostly in either class D, class C, or class B airspace. Class D is basically a 5 statute mile circle around the airport, from the surface to about 3,000 ft. above ground level (AGL). Classes C and B are more restrictive, with much broader airspace restrictions.

This FAA website ( https://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/handbooks_manuals/aviation/ ) contains many manuals you can download for free, and they contain most of the answers you are looking for, including the Aeronautical Information Manual, the Airplane Flying Handbook, the Pilot's Handbook Of Aeronautical Knowledge, the Instrument Flying Handbook and several more.

The above information is essentially what pilots study to get certificated, and all at no charge.

I'm hoping to find a way to manually enter the frequency (versus "autotune") and call them while I am still a few more miles out.

You can look at the sim's built in map, which has information on the various airports, and look up the frequencies there, though getting proper aviation charts (and learning how to read them) is a better option but takes more time and effort. There are probably other things in the sim that escape me at the moment, and I'm sure others will jump in here.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

Fly slower when near airports. Slow up early, fly below 250kt when below 10.000 ft.

You can tune tower freq early and listen in, but can't talk to then until you're close.

You can listen to the airport's ATIS freq from further out. Around 60nm.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Fly slower when near airports. Slow up early, fly below 250kt when below 10.000 ft.

You can tune tower freq early and listen in, but can't talk to then until you're close.

You can listen to the airport's ATIS freq from further out. Around 60nm.

Figure out the target airport well in advance - say while still 100 miles out. Then when the aiport gets in touch you will have plenty of time and warning

Use the map to get the frequency.

Better still, have the frequency set when you start your IFR flight!