Limited Options

I was just doing the limited options mission in fsx and went for Maui. Normally when I try the mission I would ignore the direction to make a decent to 10,000. Instead I would pitch up to gain altitude and drop my speed to 190. My thinking was if I am at a higher altitude when I start the glide I'll be able to get farther.

But today I went ahead and made a decent dropping about 700 per minute. This kept my speed up but my altitude drop. The thing I found odd was when I normally do it MY way I end up short of the runway. But in this case I found myself high on the approach!

So I'm curious as to why dropping altitude made for a longer amount of flight time than higher altitude?

Hi,

Edited: I found the the ("Limited Options" Mission "(Advanced)" Airline Pilot) in my missions folder, which makes some or most of what I wrote below a little pointless, except for Thermals and the visualizations. As this mission uses a B737-800 in a glide to the target over the Indian ocean.

However there is no mention of Maui or the use of a glider, so I may still be wrong.

Is there an actual name for this mission in the selection panel, I would like to locate it and try it out.​ I am using FSX Deluxe Gold Acceleration DVD.

I'm gonna have a big guess at this one, because I cant find that Limited options Maui mission in my Missions selection panel. But it may be that there are stronger thermals at lower altitude, or you are getting lift from a nearby ridge. A good way to see what thermal you are flying through impacting on the aircraft is to switch on Thermal Visualizations in Customize > Settings>Weather, select "Schematic", when you fly the mission again you will see a large colored coil representing the Thermal (Lowest Yellow, then upward orange, red, dark green, light fading green, to top most thermal altitude where the thermal coil ends). You will also notice the direction of the coil indicates the wind direction as the coil extends upward. Try to also use the variometer if equipped, it will give you a better idea of the strength of your climb through a thermal. The constant beeping can be somewhat annoying but you can hush it with a button push when you are at reasonable altitude and tracking at a reasonable kts. Then re-enable beeps when loosing altitude for unexpected downdraft (look for a nearby thermal to regain altitude).

Edited by jethrom

I've done this mission but haven't had this issue. Losing altitude to quickly will of course cause our airspeed to increase, which means you have to bleed it off.

Just a guess.

Spent way too much time using these sims...

FS 5.1, FS-98, FS-2000, FS-2002, FS-2004, FSX, Flight, FSW, P3Dv3, P3Dv4, MSFS

So I'm curious as to why dropping altitude made for a longer amount of flight time than higher altitude?

I suppose this mission involves a total engine loss situation?

My theory:

when climbing first, you're trading kinetic energy (speed) for potential energy (altitude). But the exchange isn't 100% due to aerodynamic drag.

So the result is a shorter flight time and a lesser distance covered.

Wim

b727fcaptain.jpgx701captain5.jpg

I suppose this mission involves a total engine loss situation?

My theory:

when climbing first, you're trading kinetic energy (speed) for potential energy (altitude). But the exchange isn't 100% due to aerodynamic drag.

So the result is a shorter flight time and a lesser distance covered.

Wim

That's the theory I'm going with too. It's a good lesson in energy management. I imagine it would help to choose a course of action as far as choosing an airport.

I think if you have multiple airports around you it may be good to climb since it would give more time in to adjust for traffic, wind, and so on.

But if the closest one is far away you would want to trade time for speed to cover distance.

Altitude equals time but not distance. And speed equals distance but not time.

For those who don't know it's a mission in fsx deluxe. I don't know about gold or acceleration. You start in a 737 when you discover a fuel leak. Engine 1 goes down and you choose between 2 airports. One is a short runway and the other is a farther distance. On your way to the airport of your choice (in my case the farthest one) engine 2 goes down.

So without the ability to restart because of potential fire and no engine left it's a long glide.

For those who don't know it's a mission in fsx deluxe. I don't know about gold or acceleration. You start in a 737 when you discover a fuel leak. Engine 1 goes down and you choose between 2 airports. One is a short runway and the other is a farther distance. On your way to the airport of your choice (in my case the farthest one) engine 2 goes down.

So without the ability to restart because of potential fire and no engine left it's a long glide.

Curious. I would lock-off the leaking tank..?

Would not matter. It's set to have both engines fail for the mission. I had tried it. Oh and I was wrong. It's not Maui it's another place.

Well, if both engines fail, you're flying a glider, not an airliner.

Handle descent like a glider, not a lawn dart.