FSX Stopped Working - Looking for Help

Tom68

FSX SP2, Dell G7 laptop, windows 10, FSUIPC 4.8. Two additional screens beside the laptop main screen.

OK, its worked great for years. Just the other day McAfee asked to clean my disk, I foolishly said OK. It finished and all seemed fine.

A few hours later I started FSX. Everything worked, except when I hit Fly Now. The laptop main screen locks and shows a spinning wheel; but the screen looks like my normal desktop, but I can't do anything but use Task Manager to kill FSX. It exits and all is normal again.

FSX is seems to be opening a error dialog, but it doesn't show up on the screen. The windows task bar and task manager show it with no title or description.

McAfee tech support was no help. No history on what it actually removed.

Anyway, I completely uninstalled thru Win10, then manually deleted all files and directories. Reinstalled - got the same issue.

I tried to event view but didn't see any messages.

Any ideas on what part of the flight start FSX is getting stuck on?

Hi ,

Sorry to hear that you are having problems.

A long shot but my first thought would be to creat a new default flight or load one of your saved flights and make that the default.

If that doesn't work then try a different fsx. cfg if you have one or move your existing fsx.cfg to somewhere safe to force fsx to create a new one.

Best of luck

Stinger

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I have been using FSX for years. For whatever reason the pilot logbook (logbook.bin) file gets corrupted every now and then and will lock up FSX. Delete it and relaunch. If that was the cause then you should have no more problems. Sorry about your luck of losing your logbook but I gave up on that thing a long time ago. After flying MSFS since the late 80s I have accumulated thousands of hours but have no proof. Oh well...

Good luck.

Tried the event viewer - nothing. I think FSX is waiting on something so its not declaring an error.

Tried a number of different flights, airports, etc. Same issues. I even reinstalled FSX.

I tried the delete the logbook too, I read it someplace, probably here.

But thanks for trying.

If I could figure out what FSX is waiting on. Something is missing or got broken in Windows.

Yes, reinstalled. I tried turning McAfee off, then I even unistalled it and switch to another brand package. I'm going to try to uninstall and reinstall again.

Everyones help is appreciated, tho. Anybody got any ideas on how to determine what FSX is waiting for?

When you reinstalled fsx did it delete your saved flights? When i said try different flights it is important to change the DEFAULT flight then reboot. If a saved default flight becomes corrupted in some way it affects the sim even if you load a different flight at the free flight screen.

FSX SP2, Dell G7 laptop, windows 10, FSUIPC 4.8. Two additional screens beside the laptop main screen.

OK, its worked great for years. Just the other day McAfee asked to clean my disk, I foolishly said OK. It finished and all seemed fine.

A few hours later I started FSX. Everything worked, except when I hit Fly Now. The laptop main screen locks and shows a spinning wheel; but the screen looks like my normal desktop, but I can't do anything but use Task Manager to kill FSX. It exits and all is normal again.

FSX is seems to be opening a error dialog, but it doesn't show up on the screen. The windows task bar and task manager show it with no title or description.

McAfee tech support was no help. No history on what it actually removed.

Anyway, I completely uninstalled thru Win10, then manually deleted all files and directories. Reinstalled - got the same issue.

I tried to event view but didn't see any messages.

Any ideas on what part of the flight start FSX is getting stuck on?

Has Windows 10 reinstalled All the necessary addons? The C++ redistributables and so?

FSUIPC is currently at 4.975. You will need to install that, as well, although the version shouldn't prevent loading.

When I reinstalled via Windows, then I manually deleted everything related to FSX that I knew about. The entire FSX install directory, the stuff in appdata/roaming/Microsoft/FSX, the stuff in /Documents/Flight Simulator X Files.

I have FSUIPC 4.9.7.4, But I even tried uninstalling that.

I'm going to try again, and this try flying with just the basic install.

I am now wondering if it us something to do with directx. Try checking the DX10 preview button. I read a post that said another users fsx was crashing if he left dx10 preview unchecked.

Not sure why this would be though.

Worth a try.

Checking Dx10 preview fixed it. WTF??? Unbelievable.

I did not have it checked in my previous installation, and it has been working for a full year on this computer.

Maybe McAfee turned something off that FSX needed unless it had its Dx10 box checked.

Thank you sooooo much stinger2k2. Wow, that's nuts.

But what does that preview on do?

Checking Dx10 preview fixed it. WTF??? Unbelievable.

I did not have it checked in my previous installation, and it has been working for a full year on this computer.

Maybe McAfee turned something off that FSX needed unless it had its Dx10 box checked.

Thank you sooooo much stinger2k2. Wow, that's nuts.

But what does that preview on do?

Brilliant! Shame you had to reinstall to find out. Dx10 preview activates a few visual effects, such as shadows(i think). DX10 was just being released at the time FSX came out.

If you have any issues with it switched on do a search for "Steve's DX10 fixer".

Happy flying

Stinger

To save your log book when it stops working try FSX Logbook Recovery fsxlog11.zip by Daniel van Os available on this site. It also fixed a FSX startup problem I had with the sim hanging on the splash screen. I use it every week or so keep my log book working. A big thank you to Daniel for this brilliant little piece of software!

Just to close this thread for the future and those who might have the same issue and follow along. Checking the DirectX 10 preview button fixed it for sure. I then updated DirectX for all versions from 9 on up and updated 2007 and 2010 C++ stuff.

But FSX still hands on free flight when the preview button is unchecked. I'm giving up and will just keep it checked.

Thanks to all who chimed in to help!

• 2 weeks later...

Very true Wim, Graphics card should support DX10, but I didn't think there would be any older systems still running pre DX10 cards (as also modern drivers for DX10 support) most modern Graphics support DX9 10 11 12 even if the FSX in-game DX support only needs compatibility for 9 & 10.

Wim, you make a very good point.:D