Can't find a way to activate FSX

Gouaill

Hi All,

I had to reinstall Windows (now 10) on my laptop so I had to it too for my FSX Gold Edition. Now, after several attempts, I'm desesperate and can't activate the product with my product key. So I play in demo mode that closes after 30 minutes and doesn't allow add-ons. Main issue: when I load the game, I never had the registration window.

This is what I did without success. Would you have any other solution?

- Unchecked Run in compatibility mode in the FSX.exe property as recommanded in this forum Sticky post.

- Used the Registry editor to allow the game registration window to open on startup as here :

- Called Microsoft Activation Center but they could not activate the product by phone since no registration window is opening.

- Checked in the Help / About menu to ensure the product is not registered.

Thanks very much in advance!

With FS2020 coming, me and my son are more eager than ever to go back to flightsim.

G

You said after win10 was installed you reinstalled it a few times. Did it activate the first times, but no longer now?

Explain all the things you tried with fsx after putting win10 on there.

And also explain the steps of the last install attempt.

(the correct steps would be: install deluxe with it's installer, activate deluxe, run deluxe and do short flight. Reboot, install Acceleration with it's installer, activate it, run accel and do short flight, close fsx. Reboot again, done.)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

After W10 reinstall I did just one reinstallation : FSX Deluxe but not Acceleration.

Since I could keep my main FSX folder on my hard drive over W10 reinstall which has been tweaked over the last 8 years, I wanted to rerun it. So the reinstallation mentioned above was made in paralel of the old installation. As you can guess, the idea was reinstalling the files lost on the C drive (FSX.cfg, scenery.cfg, etc).

My old good copy ran good for a month now. I had the error message on startup for a few weeks saying that my copy was not registered but never saw any registration window opening. I no longer have the error message but I'm still limited to 30 minutes and no add-on (FSUIPC makes FSX crash when installed).

I also had a backup of FSX.cfg, scenery.cfg etc which I could put back on the C drive after FSX reintall. FSX was tested at each step.

Searching on the web, I found that there is a way to makes reappear the registration windows but as mentionned, it doesn't works for me.

Keeping in mind that with FSX Gold Edition there are 3 discs and 2 different activations to do. After installing the first 2 discs an activation is needed. After installing Acceleration, another activation is needed. I would uninstall Acceleration and work on the first activation. Then install Acceleration and do the PartMgr trick.

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?259331-FSX-Activation-Look-What-I-Found

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Since my recent reinstall did not include Acceleration but just de two first discs, and did not provided a registration window (even with the PartMgr trick), should I understand from your comment that my old first installation (Deluxe+Acceleration) may interfere with the access to a registration window?

This would mean a complete desinstall, even of my old first FSX folder on my D drive, and not just the recent reinstall?

Thanks

You keep saying "the old install"

You say so installed Win10. You then have a Win10 with nothing else installed.

If you have an old folder with fsx files and copied that folder to the new win10 system then that is not an old install. It's just a folder with files. No more.

An install is: the result of running the fsx installer on the fsx deluxe DVD.

That creates: the default fsx folders, but also several fsx required registry items, also resists items for activation, and the required system files like fsx.cfg, and installs DX9. (and maybe does more as well.).

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yes, I suggest if you have no luck installing FSX with the discs, then D/L the FSX Steam edition: The cost is nominal, it's almost hassle-free, and Steam has tweeked FSX to remove some of the inherent problems found on the original disc version...

Just to clarify my statement...Going into the registry and changing partmgr to PartMgr is to activate Acceleration only! The link I gave is to reset the registry to activate FSX Deluxe (2 discs).

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Hi. Gouaill.

See the link below that I posted a while back. I had a similar problem and i my case I was not able to activate until I had Firefox / Browser running in the background. Post the exact procedure you are using step by step, if you miss any of the steps, or use one out of sequence, you may not be able to get it done. Write them down, or you can use OBS Studio to record your screens?

This Activation / Registration carp is one my reasons that I may no longer get anything from MS in the future. I hope they change that now that the old leadership, that was always in a mode of someone is doing what I used to do, like use someone else's code, is out of the picture. Things you can find out about how MS got started will likely explain this line of thinking about protection.

Yes, I know, I am not holding my breath, but I can always use my wallet as a deterrent, and if there are other sources for something I want / need I will go there first.

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?321226-New-install-and-Activating-FSX-Gold&highlight=activate