Hi all,

I am looking at getting a new pc built for the new sim. I am ready to throw money at it. So, what would be the highest spec pc currently available ?

Are there any component upgrades likely to be released in the next couple of months that would be worth waiting for?

Recommendations greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Stinger

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Do you need the new PC for anything else right now? If not, I would wait until the sim has been released and tested to see what the best upgrades would be. AMD is releasing new CPUs and GPUs this year, which may be a good fit.

Do you need the new PC for anything else right now? If not, I would wait until the sim has been released and tested to see what the best upgrades would be. AMD is releasing new CPUs and GPUs this year, which may be a good fit.
Thanks for that. I will take your advice i think as my existing i5 based pc is fine for the moment.

Cheers

Stinger

My previous FSX system is an Alienware M17X-R3 laptop, from 2011.

I was recently given a desktop and have applied for FS 2020 Alpha, its specs are:

Dell Precision T3600

Intel Xeon E5-1607

64 G RAM

NVidia GeForce RTX 2060 (ZotacGaming) 6 G VRAM

Dell Precision H310 SCSI 1 TB hard drive

Does anyone have any comments on the potential performance of this system?

Thanks, Carl

At the moment there aren't any publicly available benchmarks for the sim, and probably won't be until the final version is released. The best indication is to compare your system to the specs Asobo have released (linked in another thread here). Depending on the generation of the CPU (Xeons can have the same model number across generations, with the generation denoted by v2, v3 etc.), resolution you will be running the sim at, as well as your internet download speeds, that system is probably somewhere around the recommended specs.

Intel Xeon E5-1607 generations:

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/64619/intel-xeon-processor-e5-1607-10m-cache-3-00-ghz-0-0-gt-s-intel-qpi.html

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/77785/intel-xeon-processor-e5-1607-v2-10m-cache-3-00-ghz.html

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/82762/intel-xeon-processor-e5-1607-v3-10m-cache-3-10-ghz.html

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/93101/intel-xeon-processor-e5-1607-v4-10m-cache-3-10-ghz.html

Are there any component upgrades likely to be released in the next couple of months that would be worth waiting for?

From long experience, I've found that if you wait for the next big component upgrade, you'll never buy anything!

From long experience, I've found that if you wait for the next big component upgrade, you'll never buy anything!

Absolutely agree with that Pete however as my existing setup works well I might as well wait until 2020 is released to get the best I can for it.

LOL - I don't think I've ever bought a PC from either Best Buy or Amazon that wasn't obsolete by the time I got it home and unboxed it - lol Shucks, they also try to convince us that some styles of toilet paper are "new and improved" :)

"Don't believe everything you see on the internet." - Abe Lincoln HP Pavilion Desktop i5-8400@2.8ghz, 16gb RAM, 1TB M.2 SSD, GTX1650 4GB, 300 MBPS internet, 31.5" curved monitor, Logitech yoke-throttle, Flt Vel trim wheel, TFRP rudder pedals, G/M IR headset, Extreme 3D Pro joystick, Wheel Stand Pro S Dlx

I have been browsing anyhow and have come up with this. Not buying yet but i do like to be ready [emoji16]

Intel 10700X (I'm an intel man)

Geforce Rtx2080ti

32gb ram

1 500gb ssd

1tb storage drive

700w psu

Water Cooler

I will probably have it built to spec either locally or through Wired2Fire.

The minute we have a release date i shall be pressing the button. [emoji16]

IMHO, no rush at all to buy anything now. We still have quite a few months to go, as well as a few more iterations of Alpha, then Beta, then finally release candidate, so, throwing money at PC hardware now, is a bit too early. Rather be patient & wait, new hardware is always being released, & worth waiting for.

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

IMHO, no rush at all to buy anything now. We still have quite a few months to go, as well as a few more iterations of Alpha, then Beta, then finally release candidate, so, throwing money at PC hardware now, is a bit too early. Rather be patient & wait, new hardware is always being released, & worth waiting for.

Plus prices of current tech will come down when a replacement is released.

• 2 weeks later...
I have been browsing anyhow and have come up with this. Not buying yet but i do like to be ready [emoji16]

Intel 10700X (I'm an intel man)

Geforce Rtx2080ti

32gb ram

1 500gb ssd

1tb storage drive

700w psu

Water Cooler

I will probably have it built to spec either locally or through Wired2Fire.

The minute we have a release date i shall be pressing the button. [emoji16]

Looks like a good spec, but I'd be tempted to go all in on SSDs (is your 1tb storage a spinning disk? that's going to be a weak link). As for storage space, if you're only playing FS2020 then according to their specs you should be fine, but if you may find you want to do other stuff too.

I spec'd and purchased a mid-range gaming PC last year with 500Gb SSD and immediately regretted not getting more storage, I found I wanted to try other games, DCS, VR, blu-ray ripping and editing, also bought 80Gb of orbx UK scenery for xplane 11 (xplane 11 is horribly slow loading from spinning disk). Within a month I'd bought a 1Tb SSD for it.

Iain

AMD Ryzen 5 3600X

AMD RADEON RX 5700XT

Hi all. The system I mentioned below, Dell T3600 with Xeon E5-1607 and Zotac NVidia RTX 2060, crapped out (motherboard I think), so I took a leap and bought, MicroCenter PowerSpec G434, with Intel Core I7 9700 KF, Zotac NVidea RTX 2070 Super Mini, 32 GB DDR4-3600, and a glass side of case with all kinds of cool light on the cooling system, should be much better positioned for Flight Simulator 2020, reapplied for alpha ...

Hi all. The system I mentioned below, Dell T3600 with Xeon E5-1607 and Zotac NVidia RTX 2060, crapped out (motherboard I think), so I took a leap and bought, MicroCenter PowerSpec G434, with Intel Core I7 9700 KF, Zotac NVidea RTX 2070 Super Mini, 32 GB DDR4-3600, and a glass side of case with all kinds of cool light on the cooling system, should be much better positioned for Flight Simulator 2020, reapplied for alpha ...

Well, if it's got lights it must be great. Wrong time to buy a new computer.

Start saving. Immediately... Aim for 11-12 gig for VRAM. accelerated speed for Broadband, and at least 2 gig for HD/SSD...

I have internet speed 150-230 mbps, 8gb VRAM, (2) 1 TB SSD's, RAM is expandable ... the lights are asthetically pleasing ...

Was I specific about Boadband? Your going to need 10x that speed to make FSFS work! Bloody silly lights utterly unimportant.

You could even call Jetline systems and talk with anyone there. They were very helpful when I called.

1-888-695-3854

No pressure to buy, very knowledgeable regarding flight sim systems.

Jetline GT2, 32 GB RAM, RTX 2070 Super, liquid cooled i7 9700K, 750 PSU, 2 TB SSD, MSFS 2020, P3D V4.5 and FSXSE.

You could even call Jetline systems and talk with anyone there. They were very helpful when I called.

1-888-695-3854

No pressure to buy, very knowledgeable regarding flight sim systems.

Yes they are on my radar. I note that Froogle uses them on Youtube , but then Jetline paid for his.....Mmmm,I wonder how I could get them to stump up for mine [emoji848]

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk