Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: FS2004 Backup?

Pleasure, Andrew, plenty of blood, sweat, tears, & where the h_ll is that add-on! & if only I can remember how I did that!

All the best, from Cape Town.
    Robin
    Cape Town, South Africa

2. Default

Andy, your a batch guy right?

Robocopy and a simple batch program can backup anything you want.

Robocopy is a Windows command line utility used to copy/mirror files from one location to a target drive. The first time robocopy is run, it will copy every file. The second time you run robocopy, it will copy only files that have changed (mirrors source to target).

Robocopy is built into all versions of Windows except XP, so there is nothing to install.
    For XP users, you can obtain robocopy here:
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down....aspx?id=17657

Link to robocopy switches:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...mands/robocopy

For example: To mirror my entire FS2004 folder you could write a batch program that contains the following:

----------Batch program----------

@echo off
    robocopy "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator 9" "D:\Backups\Flight Simulator 9" /MIR /Z /FFT
    pause
    exit

------End of Batch program-------

The above program will mirror all data within the "Flight Simulator 9" folder on drive C to drive D.

RJ

Why doing so complicated? Just copy and paste FS9 folder and FS9.cfg to an other drive. Keep a simple and renamed basic FS9 on main drive. It's always useful anyway. No need to manipulate registry.

Bernard

4. Default

Robocopy doesn't manipulate the registry.

It can be used to mirror data (/MIR switch) very fast and efficiently and it's free, because it's already installed.

If you always want a mirror image of your data, its fast, simple and easy.
    But if you have hours, you can copy and paste 89GB each time.

What ever flies your aircraft.

RJ

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by leuen View Post
    Why doing so complicated? Just copy and paste
    Yeah
    Mark Daniels

6. Default

I use xcopy rather than robocopy. Apparently robocopy can /purge a backup directory of files that have been deleted from the source directory where xcopy can't, but frankly that scares the hell out of me, lol. I make backups because I may want to revert one day, if I purge files that have been deleted there's no way I can restore a deleted file if that's what I decide to do. I'd rather have a mess of obsolete files in my backup folder and be able to find something I obsoleted 3 years ago than lose it completely by mirroring. Something I obsoleted 3 years ago might be the code snippet I'm looking for today to do something unrelated that I vaguely remember doing in the past. I can see where /mir might have it's place if you where getting a package ready for uploading or something but for general backups I wouldn't use it.

Code:
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
       ROBOCOPY     ::     Robust File Copy for Windows                              
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

/E :: copy subdirectories, including Empty ones.
    /PURGE :: delete dest files/dirs that no longer exist in source.
    /MIR :: MIRror a directory tree (equivalent to /E plus /PURGE).

Well, for me, Teracopy is just a matter of copy & paste.. Simple, no need to go to a command prompt.
    One the copy to the separate drive is done, then a simple fs9.exe & folder rename, & a copy back to the PC, there's an additional install.
    Different strokes, I suppose!
    Robin
    Cape Town, South Africa

8. Default

The "purge" shouldn't scare the hell out of you. lol
    To prevent files and folders in the target folder from being "purged" simply add switch /XX.

Link to robocopy switches:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...mands/robocopy

robocopy "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator 9" "D:\Backups\Flight Simulator 9" /MIR /XX /Z /FFT

As always, test new things out on junk files before doing something with good data.

XCOPY vs ROBOCOPY
    https://dfarq.homeip.net/xcopy-vs-robocopy/

RJ

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by zswobbie1 View Post
    No need to go to a command prompt
    Command prompt? No.. Paste into notepad, and change the extension to .bat. Double click and you're done.

RJ
    Last edited by 3Green; 06-30-2020 at 10:51 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2