Why only me........?

Normally I spitt through almost the whole archive of 'old posts' before I decide to post a new thread.

But It seems that in the whole wide FS world I am the only one who has this problem, so I have to 'come out' here.

My FS live: FS5 FS6 FS7 FS8 FS9 FSX all the way from 5 1/4 flop to 500G SSD.

In FS9 my ILS AP APPR landings with f.i. PMDG737 , PSS 757/777 QW 146/757 are 100% flawless, no matter what airport as long as the selected RW is ILS equipped :

Appr, Flaps, Flare, TD, Auto Brake, Rev Tr, Idle, Taxi, Shutdown at the gate all without a problem.

My ILS procedure(both FS9 and FSX): (Weather and ATC not active) Aircraft f.i. FSX QW B757.

- check Charts for RW and Navaid details.

- select appropriate ILS equipped RW.

- Set ILS Freq NAV1/PED and ILS Course (not really needed)

- Fly AC to beginning with HDG SEL and on RW HDG at minimal distance of 30NM and at Alt 4.000 ft.

- Enter the approach at SPD 180 Mph Flaps 5

- Fly the plane from here on Alt 4.000 ft but I set Altitude from here to - 0 -

- Normally the ILS becomes active between the 30 and 25 nm. distance from beginning of RW.

- wait for ILS to come in (the diamonds), set EFIS/AP to LOC first or straight to APPR.

- check that ALT SET and VS are both -0-

(Let AP APPR do the work without restrictions from possible ALT and VS Settings)

- Usually I'm a bit low here so first I enter LOC to follow the LAT part of the ILS.

- I start reducing speed and apply further flaps.

- I deselect AT at 500ft and select SPD manually to VREF.

- Now : the plane is flying on the correct RW heading and at an Altitude well below the expected Alt on which the GS will come in and at a speed that will allow for (Lat or Vert)corrections if needed.

- Mostly my ILS problems start at this point: The plane will not hold RW/ILS HDG but starts to drift left or right to a point were I have to stop LOC and switch to HDG SEL and fly to the centre of RW HDG. The fun is allready gone for me.... Then I'm so bussy correcting the Lateral part that often I don't see that the required Descent path is way under my AC. So now I have to switch to complete manual landing because I know that the APPR will never correct the errors. I land the plane but I and in some state of frustration I end FSX and start reading the manuals again ( and again and....)

Mostly I find my plane unable to maintain proper Localizer hold on the ILS HDG or the plane flies the correct localizer but simply

will not, no way, descent when the diamonds are sinking below the mark.

What makes me so sad is that I do 100% exactly the same things as in FS9 and there my ILS landings are so realistic and satifying. I consider myself a descent flyer but by no means a 'pro'

My level is : FSBuild flightplan , Fuel/Weightplanner, AC, FMC programming, Initial Ref, Load Flightplan, startup Little-NavMap load flightplan. and fly the flight : LNAV and VNAV until transition to STAR.

The inevitable question, I feel a bit embarrassed here, why do my FSX ILS Landings 'suck.........'

My ILS landings in default FSX planes have the same issues, I know that default FSX planes will not

flare before TD so manual flare is needed, no problem.

I7 6700K GTX1050TI4GB 16GB-DDR4 SSD500GB

C:/Steam////FSX SE , Flyaway Global Mesh, UTX-EUR, USA, CAN, ASK, ASIA , TAC , FSceneX

Thanks for any advice here.... (I can take a 'punch' if needed.............)

regards and stay safe, Peter

Edited by piet06273

I5 12600K - RTX3060TI - 32GB 3600 - M2 - WIN11 - FS8/9/X - MSFS - full ORBX UTX etc. 

zweefvlieg1987s.jpg

Peter - Not sure anyone can help you with the storyline you have provided above! Wow!

Why don't you trim down the story, tell us what airport you are flying into, runway selected, aircraft being flown etc. and the end result of disappointing ILS approach to landings. For most who might be able to help, they would try to recreate the approach to landing technique, if it works, then something you are doing wrong. Try that and see if someone might offer help! Hell, I might even give it a whirl!

And you say, "What makes me so sad..................??" Come on Peter, we don't want you to be sad!

Rick :cool:

Wow, that's hard to read. So let me break out your dashed segment:

My ILS procedure(both FS9 and FSX): (Weather and ATC not active) Aircraft f.i. FSX QW B757.

- check Charts for RW and Navaid details.

What charts are you checking?

- select appropriate ILS equipped RW.

I presume that RW=runway

-Set ILS Freq NAV1/PED and ILS Course (not really needed)

What is PED? And yes, it's a waste of time to set the course on the OBS, since the AP ignores that on an ILS.

- Fly AC to beginning with HDG SEL and on RW HDG at minimal distance of 30NM and at Alt 4.000 ft.

Why 4000 feet? What does the chart that you consulted say? What if the field elevation (Denver maybe) is over 5,000 feet?

- Enter the approach at SPD 180 Mph Flaps 5

What do you mean "Enter the approach"? What part of the approach is this? Do you use the same 180 MPH (the AP wants knots) and "Flaps 5" on all aircraft?

- Fly the plane from here on Alt 4.000 ft but I set Altitude from here to - 0 -

This doesn't mean much to me? "Altitude from here to - 0- " ?? After reading below, Are you REALLY setting ALT to zero? (See my note below).

- Normally the ILS becomes active between the 30 and 25 nm. distance from beginning of RW.

The localizer portion may be received that far out, but the glide slope is unusable out there. And at some airports terrain may interfere with that distance. Do you do this for EVERY airport?

- wait for ILS to come in (the diamonds), set EFIS/AP to LOC first or straight to APPR.

Why the inconsistency on LOC or APR? The "diamonds" are the glide slope indication on your aircraft, right? Once you're established at the proper altitude on the localizer you can change to APR mode. Established means that your heading is less than 30º off of the LOC course. Now press APR and let the AP do it's job. If you have autothrottle, AND if it is engaged (it must be engaged and disengaged separately from the other AP functions) then the only thing you have left to do is to land the airplane AFTER disengaging AP and SPEED. Without speed control engaged, you must manually reduce power as the AP starts the descent.

- check that ALT SET and VS are both -0- (Let AP APPR do the work without restrictions from possible ALT and VS Settings)

You're setting ALT to -0- ? And why set VS? Let it alone, as that can mess you up.

- Usually I'm a bit low here so first I enter LOC to follow the LAT part of the ILS.

I guess you would be low with ALT at -0- feet. note that zero feet is below the airport most places.

- I start reducing speed and apply further flaps.

Where do you do this?

- I deselect AT at 500ft and select SPD manually to VREF.

500 feet is OK, but why are you now selecting SPEED HOLD? This is where YOU need to have speed control disengaged (it should be trimmed properly already) and adjust throttle(s) manually.

- Now : the plane is flying on the correct RW heading and at an Altitude well below the expected Alt on which the GS will come in and at a speed that will allow for (Lat or Vert)corrections if needed.

When is THIS Now? Below 500 feet YOU are flying, not the AP.

- Mostly my ILS problems start at this point: The plane will not hold RW/ILS HDG but starts to drift left or right to a point were I have to stop LOC and switch to HDG SEL and fly to the centre of RW HDG.

IF I'm correctly understanding what you are doing, you have set the autopilot Altitude Hold to 0 feet, which is at least part of your problem. That altitude should be set to the altitude (above sea level, that is, MSL) that you want the AP to hold until it catches the glideslope, at which time (if you're in the APR mode) the AP will follow the descending glide slope WITH NO CHANGE IN SETTING for ALT.

I gotta go, so haven't yet completed my comments, but take a look at this part first. I'll be back with more, later. But try the settings I've mentioned above. BTW, this is a small part of why pilots go through a LOT of hours of training, just for IFR, not to mention all the other stuff.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

I've noticed one glitch in the ILS on both FSX and FS9. I've flown the ILS approach from multiple distances many time and I've noticed one glitch. If I approach the ILS from 20-25 miles away (usually when the ILS ID (morse code) starts I'll engage the APPR, the aircraft will lock onto the LOC and fly to the runway. However, on FSX, FSX-SE, and FS9, if I engage the APP before the glideslope becomes active, the aircraft will not fly the glideslope. So now, on my long approaches, I will engage the APP to line up on the LOC but when the glideslope does become active I will dis-engage the APP, and will again engage the APP while below the GS and the aircraft will fly a perfect ILS. This seems to happen in every aircraft I have flown. Hope this helps. And setting the ILS course can be a huge help to visually tell you where you are in relation to the LOC. Once you get used to setting the course and seeing what it does on your instruments, you will never not set it again. Edit after more reading....set your altitude anywhere from 1800 (short approach) to 4000 (long approach) AGL depending on how far out you are and leave it there. Use the altitude the charts say if you go that route. I occasionally will use real world charts and they can be a real help. The AP will turn that off when it starts going down the GS. There is a site where you can get updated intersections to use todays charts. If you want more info on that feel free to let me know. I'll be happy to help. Edited by mqytn

Once you get used to setting the course and seeing what it does on your instruments

Hmmm... What DOES it do on the instruments? It should have no effect whatsoever, since the NAV radio on a localizer frequency ignores the OBS and there is nothing else that is affected by the setting, either. On a VOR freq, of course, the OBS has a large effect, but on the LOC it's useless.The LOC doesn't deal in radials, only in (basically) left/right, and it does that at four times the sensitivity that it uses on a VOR.

Still, the biggest problem for Peter is that ALT set to zero.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Hmmm... What DOES it do on the instruments? It should have no effect whatsoever, since the NAV radio on a localizer frequency ignores the OBS and there is nothing else that is affected by the setting, either. On a VOR freq, of course, the OBS has a large effect, but on the LOC it's useless.The LOC doesn't deal in radials, only in (basically) left/right, and it does that at four times the sensitivity that it uses on a VOR.

Thanks Larry! Yes, his post was rather long and confusing. I really didn't want to dissect his post as thorough as you have, but, maybe he will find his mistake in reading your reply! I thought if he provided us with Airport, RWY etc. one or more of us could fly the approach to make sure the error was on his part! BUT, let's see what he comes back with!

Good job Larry! Have a nice evening! - Rick :cool::cool:

I've known this since FS4. Just cool to see where the LOC is on the instruments. Can be helpful at times.

And yes, it's a waste of time to set the course on the OBS, since the AP ignores that on an ILS.

A waste of time? Depends on the gauge available IMO.

On a simple VOR-indicator it's useless indeed.

fZt9s24.png

On a HSI-style gauge I set the ILS-course for general awareness.

But as said, this has no influence on the AP behaviour.

HzelkIl.jpg

Wim

b727fcaptain.jpgx701captain5.jpg

Probably not part of the issue, but the ILS will not work if you are set to GPS mode. You do set to Nav first, right?

Spent way too much time using these sims...

FS 5.1, FS-98, FS-2000, FS-2002, FS-2004, FSX, Flight, FSW, P3Dv3, P3Dv4, MSFS

Thanks, thanks and thanks to all people , flightsimmers, who have been so kind to post a reply to my

ILS story. I tried to recap as best as possible the steps I follow from entering ILS range to flare.

The story became too fragmented and difficult to read, entirely my fault.

I ask you please to read the following with environment settings:

Weather: Clear Airport: ALT=0 ATC=inactive No real World SID's or STAR's

Plane Landing weight= Fuel set to 15% max

I love my FS9 and I love my FSX. The past 14 years I have flown FS9 but I allways wanted to fly FSX from the date it was released. I was so happy when my son flew in real live: Finnair B777 EFHK-ZBAA

and I was able to fly with him in FS9 and managed to 'keep up (roughly) with his flight' from start to arrival as it was presented in FlightAware. My flight FSBuild , My plane PSS B777 . An experience I will never forget. Only beginning this year I was finally able to fund a system capable of running FSX with realistic details. I do not consider myself a sim expert, I have only PC, 1 monitor, 1 Keyboard and mouse. I have no room for other controllers on and below my desk. I'm happy with that. I am not able to fly according to real world procedures and charts. My charts are FSNav. and LittleNavMap. and even FS-GPS and FS-Map. I think, but could be wrong here, that they provide all needed information to set up and follow an ILS landing. I put great value in trimming my aircraft, f.i. FSX RJ-700 I take off and fly manually to 5.000 ft , I fly SPD 190 and trim the plane so that it will fly level and straight without any AP mode engaged. One plane may be more difficult than the other but we can all do this. Changes in ALT , I correct with SPD. So the plane flies manually, AP is not engaged, all values are ZERO. Now imagine that I succeed to position the aircraft such that it will be 30NM before the RW and that it stays on that precise ILS runway heading , imagine that it would maintain ALT 5.000 ft. and SPD 190. All without AP engaged.

I've set my NAV1 to ILS freq. (OBS not a factor) then in theory I would only have to wait for the

ILS to become active and when the diamonds are both centered (My Alt a bit below GS) I would only

have to press AP on followed by press APPR and the plane would fly the ILS. I myself would only

have to add FLaps in relation to my manual reduction of Airspeed. Now in FS9 I can easily do this

but in FSX is different. Of course I can fly the Lateral part of the ILS with AP engaged and fly NAV or LOC hold depending on the aircrafts panel and press APPR when a little under GS.

Now this is not my preferred way I want to fly an ILS landing because it's not realistic ,I just

want the plane to follow the localizer course and follow the GS descent path which is something

that I find very difficult to achieve in my !! FSX. I must be doing something wrong here or I begin

with the wrong assumptions somewhere.

Well before I make this post is too incoherent too, I will fly now in FSX RJ700:

KSEA 34R - LEVIR - BOGGI - CYVR 26R ILS 111.95 260 Elev 14ft.

I'll post my findings,

Peter

Edited by piet06273

I5 12600K - RTX3060TI - 32GB 3600 - M2 - WIN11 - FS8/9/X - MSFS - full ORBX UTX etc. 

zweefvlieg1987s.jpg

...wait for the ILS to become active and when the diamonds are both centered (My Alt a bit below GS) I would only have to press AP on followed by press APPR and the plane would fly the ILS.

When the diamonds are centered is the time that the AP should start the descent. Engage the APR mode when, or not long after the diamonds start moving at the top. If you wait 'til they're centered the AP gets behind.

Changes in ALT , I correct with SPD.

Huh? There's got to be something there that you didn't explain.

I would only have to press AP on followed by press APPR and the plane would fly the ILS.

Before pressing the APR button, you should have ALT (Altitude Hold) and HDG (Heading) engaged on the AP, then press APR and let the AP do its thing until you are at or near DA (Decision Altitude), that is, until you disconnect the AP (and speed control, if active).

The AP is designed to operate in a certain fashion, and FSX is a bit closer to the real world style than FS2004 is. If you don't do things the way it's designed to work, you'll get odd results, as you are discovering.

So instead of trying to invent your own method of operation, learn how it is designed to be used. You have to do it right in the real world, and FS is trying to emulate that. It's NOT intuitive.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

thanks again Downwind66 and Lnuss for all your ideas and efforts.

You know for me it's like FSX was introduced only last year. This puts me about 14 years behind time when it comes to mastering it.

Now I did this flight FSX CRJ7000 KSEA- CYVR 26R This flight was absolutely an achievement for me.

I planned it I added my own waypoint ( In the FltPln this is waypoint 8 (after 7 previous WPT's in this particular FltPln which I deleted before saving.)

The meaning of this waypoint was that I could fly the route in GPS mode (AP=NAV) and that the plane would make a left turn to a heading of 260' at a point 36 miles before the actual beginning of RW26. So the Plan: KSEA > 101 NM 343" to my WPT 8 then a turn left to 261" and then 36NM to RW 26R.

The coordinates of my WPT8 were : N49 7.33 W122 16.25

The plane did just that with one minor hdg. correction on my part.

I was happy, the plane entered the approach, I set NAV 111.95 SPD 170 ALT 5000 waited for the diamonds , First NAV for the localizer then APPR for the active GS. What made me a happy flyer was that the CRJ did follow both the LAT and VERT part of the ILS without problems. It landed only

slightly to the right of the actual RW, that may be caused by my UTX CAN or by my CYVR afcad.

This is not a problem for me, it actually engaged and followed the directions given by the diamonds.

let's try some pic's

For me this flight and the landing was a 100% succes, I will search a new destination airport now.

One that is ILS equipped offcourse but also 100% default with no addons or afcads anywhere.

Something like KSEA - KEUG (with VORTAC and ILS) Thanks again regards

sized_FSXILSILS_CRJ700_TO.JPG

sized_FSXILSILS_CRJ700_PLN.JPG

sized_FSXILSILS_CRJ700_KPAE.JPG

sized_FSXILSILS_CRJ700_APPR2.JPG

sized_FSXILSILS_CRJ700_WP8a2.JPG

sized_FSXILSILS_CRJ700_APPR2_CRSerror3.JPG

Edited by piet06273

zweefvlieg1987s.jpg

Ap, alt-hld, and hdg-hld must all be on, also At, and Spd-hld must both be on. You must already be established on approach track, flying level and not climbing or descending. You must be below glideslope.

Your speed must be slow, and flaps must be fully set before pressing App.

When all those conditions are met you can click App button. If one or some of the conditions are not met App mode won't work properly and your landing will go wrong.

The App-mode wil start to control the heading first. (and hdg-hld switches off automatically.) (Do not switch it off yourself like you said in post 1).

When you cross the glideslope App-mode takes control of altitude as well. Alt-hld switch goes off automatically. And the AT and App-mode try to make the aircraft descend. (again, do not switch either of those off yourself like you said you did in post 1).

While App mode takes the aircraft down the glideslope AT stays on. And Spd-hld stays on as well. -- of course -- AT and Spd-hld must stay on to reduce thrust -- as without reducing thrust descending would make speed increase.

(Ap and Spd-hld do not switch off automatically. And you should not switch them off either.)

Descending is teamwork of AT and AP. AP makes plane descend, AT sees speed go up a little because of the descent and quickly reduces thrust to keep speed at Spd-hld setting. - and if aircraft drops a little below glideslope AP reduces descent rate and AT quickly adds a little thrust.

(PS: From real world boeing manual: always use AT and AP together, or have both off and fly manually.

Never use just one of the two.)

To flare once close to the ground, disconnect At and Ap and flare.

---

you mentioned speeds around 190 before pressing App.

Was that 190 knots? And are you using "show indicated airspeed" in settings? If indeed 190 kt IAS then that's too fast. You need to fly about 40 knots slower when pressing App.

From your description you are rushing the approach. Not steady before pressing approach. No steady speed, and too fast, not yet close to landing speed. No steady altitude. Still busy setting flaps. Etc. Do those things earlier so you are fully set up for landing and you have the last 20-25 Nm to fully focus on the autopilot.

---

btw, a LOC-only approach will not make the aircraft descend.

You say you are trying to do an approach with the aircraft following the Ils to the ground, so don't use Loc, use App-mode.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Peter - I have never flown into 26R at Vancouver. My ILS approach also put my aircraft off to the right making some necessary adjustments before arriving to the runway. I have always used 26L, as that is the preferred runway they choose to give you.

If you want a confidence builder, try 26L, it is "Spot On" and the approach will put you dead center on the runway! Try it, you might like it and give you some confidence in the process!

Edited by Downwind66

What you said in your post before last was you wanted to "have App-mode make plane descend along glideslope automatically and adjust flap and speed manually".

First a few words about AP and AT. As I said you should only use AT and AP together. Or not use them at all and fly manually instead.

The reason for that:

if you would fly with only AP on you have to maintain the correct thrust yourself. If you don't add enough the plane would quickly stall. And it's difficult to see (or physically feel) pitch going up when the plane is approaching stall speed. That's true in real life as well as in Fsx.

So never use AP only.

With AT only the risks are similarly high. The risk of a stall is very high. And so is the risk of a nosedive.

The problem is that the AT is slow to respond.

The manual controls are much more effective then the Autopilot control is. And the manual control is also much more instant and direct.

So if you have AT and Spd-hld On, and you steer manually, and you pull back hard on the yoke, the plane goes into a steep climb but the Autothrottle does not add thrust quickly enough. --> result is stall.

And if you push the yoke forward the AT will not reduce thrust quickly enough. Speed increases and you nosedive.

---

It sounds like you want to descend along glidepath and manage thrust and flaps. As explained, Bad idea. But if you insist, fly the approach as explained and switch the AT off, while AP stays on and App-mode is guiding you down. Of course once you switch off AT and Spd-hld the App-mode is not guiding you down properly any more. It will try to, but it can only do it if you fly the correct speed manually. If you fly too slowly the aircraft will pitch up (hardly noticeable) then you get below glideslope a little (also hard to spot), and if you don't add thrust real quick there you stall.

If you are also still setting flaps at that point that makes things even more likely to stall.

Back to what you said (see start of post) that: "you want to adjust speed and flaps while the aircraft just follows the glideslope." first: With AT OFF your own manual thrust input is part of what makes it descend. So it's not "automatically" following the glideslope.

Second: "adjusting" speed (reducing for example when you were flying 190kt at glideslope intercept and want to reduce while descending to 150kt landing speed) , with AT OFF but AP and APP-mode on, is extremely dangerous.

It would mean the steps "manually reducing thrust to a guessed setting, waiting for the AP to hopefully add enough trim."

problem is, while the AP is adding trim the plane would drift down, getting below glideslope. The AP would then make elevator trim will go all the way up as APP-mode tries to get back to the glideslope. That means slow speed. Elevator trim pretty much determines airspeed. Also the plane would pitch up to reach the glideslope. You'd then be in a stall right away. Adding thrust does not help at that point with trim up and being pitched up. Trim fully up --> speed is low.

(to prevent stall there you would have to: switch AP and AT fully off, trim down manually all the way from full up to full down, point the nose down out of the stall, add thrust, and fly out of it. Not easy when that happens at 3000ft or so.

Point was:) don't try to reduce ("adjust") speed manually if you try to use AP-only on approach. If you try by reducing thrust it leads to a stall. (And it probably goes without saying that reducing speed by manually trimming elevator is not possible if APP-hld and AP is on.)

Try to keep a steady speed from the moment you catch the glideslope.

And if you want to fly safely don't do this at all. Use AP and AT Together.

Flying is not like many people think all about speed, being cool, or clever. Slow and steady wins the race. Better arrive 30 mins late, safe, and calmly then... not at all.:D

--

ps: sorry if duplications here and there. I an using a tiny phone screen at the moment. I can only see about 20 words before text scrolls off the screen. (the splitting headache I have doesn't make it any better:D)

Oh, i didn't quote your exact words, just how I understood them. I hope you understand what quotes I mean.

PPS:didn't see lnuss's post before sending my previous one. Or your positive response to it. They were not there yet when I started typing my reply.

il.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Peter - I have never flown into 26R at Vancouver. My ILS approach also put my aircraft off to the right making some necessary adjustments before arriving to the runway. I have always used 26L, as that is the preferred runway they choose to give you.

If you want a confidence builder, try 26L, it is "Spot On" and the approach will put you dead center on the runway! Try it, you might like it and give you some confidence in the process!

Well, Peter, 26L wasn't totally "Spot On," but the aircraft landed on the right half of the runway without my help! Much better than 26R!

Give it a whirl, see how you like that one!

2020-6-1_19-16-8-773.jpg

Peter - I do like this 26L! Here's the landing again, for a chubby lady, she certainly knows how to dance!

2020-6-2_0-34-42-928.jpg

You will get thru all the problems you have had with ILS. Then it will make you wonder why it fought you so badly! Good luck and enjoy!

Rick :cool::cool:

thank you Capt's Downwind66 and TopGun for yr professional input. I will fly my own STAR to CYVR 26L - WA12 ADSIX SAVED 110.70 261' and proceed from there. Look forward to it, will try to add some 'shots'.. Peter Edited by piet06273

zweefvlieg1987s.jpg

I wellcome myself into the FSX World with a completed and smooth as butter touchdown on

ILS CYVR 36L , was I dreaming or did I hear some applause coming from behind..............?

sized_CRJILSCRJ_IKStest4.JPG

sized_CRJILSCRJ_IKStest8.JPG

Edited by piet06273

zweefvlieg1987s.jpg

Congrats Peter! Now just practice-practice-practice! I have flight plans from Seattle/Tacoma to Vancouver RWY 26L and then Vancouver to Boeing Field/King Co Intl RWY 13R. I can make that loop many times and not get bored, getting the ILS landings at each end!

Just out of curiosity, your map above looks like a "Cross Country" final? Not being judgemental, but on my flight plan, I fly from Seattle/Tacoma to a waypoint BOGGI, where the aircraft hits the ILS 14.7 miles out, 3000' and it works out great! "Different strokes for different folks," whatever works for you and you are sucessful in doing so!

Again, and as you say, "Welcome to FSX World!" Enjoy!