Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: C-17 kicking my rump

Default C-17 kicking my rump

I am not a pilot. I have about 400 hours on FSX. I crashed about 90 times before I landed anything successfully.
    After I started catching on, I crashed about 50% of the time. In my last 200 hours I have not crashed UNTIL - I tried to fly the C-17.
    I have some kind of learning disability with that airplane.

To give you some idea of what I'm used to, (i.e. can land without crashing) I have flown these
    piper cub
    beech 58
    DC-3
    beech king air
    C-130
    B29 super fortress
    Bombardier Lear Jet
    F-111

Those machines make sense to me. The C-17 does not make sense to me *yet.

Anybody want to chat about C-17, I could really use it.

--John

John,
    Sounds like you use 'luck' to fly and then land your aircraft. I am curious as to WHEN you started flying in sim. There is a learning curve but the ONLY way to learn is by lots of practice. Not knowing what to do is what leads to crashes. Luck has nothing to do with it. Getting and using a check list will make you aware of WHAT needs to be done and HOW to do it. There are a lot of variables involved that must be taken into cosideration to achieve what you want to do: Take Off, Fly, then Land an aircraft.

So now: WHICH C-17 do you have? There are UKMIL, AlphaSim, Area 51, Mike Stone, POSKY, Owen Hewitt, and FSD models. And DON'T blame the airplane when it's YOUR fault (lack of knowledge, etc).
    Chuck B
    Napamule
    i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D. FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

3. Default

The c17 is a very big aircraft. Make sure the aircraft is not full of fuel. Heavy aircraft are hard to control. They don't slow down or speed up quickly. So they don't respond quickly to your command making them hard to fly.

Most aircraft can't be landed safely with full fuel either. The aircraft also has to be below a certain weight to land.

In flight, press <alt> to see the menu bar, then click: Aircraft--Fuel and payload.

(if the numbers in that menu are red it is too heavy to fly at all. Reduce untill they are black.
    When black it is not light enough to land yet, just to fly, so reduce further if you are going to be doing a short flight that will use little fuel.)

You can also reduce the payload (cargo). The C17 is a cargo aircraft that can carry huge loads. (same menu: Aircraft--fuel and payload.)

4. Default

If the plane came with a manual, learn its v speeds and vref speeds for landing.
    My forum project. Click me
    OOM errors? Read this.
    Pick an Amazon wish list, help a child out
    From RLG, Fly heading 053, intercept 315 DVV, look for the orange glow of a SAM.

Not blaming the airplane. I like the airplane. I started flying in SIM a couple of months ago.
    I love it.
    Yes I am approaching this in a trial and error fashion augmented by the Learning Topics and missions in FSX, and the occasional Youtube vid. I agree that what I am doing does not, will not provide the foundational knowledge required to independently address complicated and unknown situations. I have been looking around for a Sim Flight School. I don't want to fly real airplanes.

I won't use the word "flying" because I'm sure you would object to that -- So, I will say I believe that C-17 that I have been riding around in, and cannot land it - was made by Virtavia.

Thank you TG ! That is great information. I'm on it !

When flying the C-17, give her lots of space when trying to land. I fly this aircraft alot for a virtual militaty group, and she is one of my favorites. When coming into an airport, get yourself aligned with the runway and setup about 10 miles, out, about 3000ft above the runway elevation, and have yourself setup at about 150kts and flap set up about 10 degrees. Once you past 10 miles, start a decent, going at about 700 to 800fpm. Getting near the airport at about 5 miles, add some more flaps, drop you speed to be about 135-140kts, and keep your eyes on the PAPI lights on the runway. Never let your speed drop below 130. Make little corrections as you come in, nothing jerky, she will bite you every time. I use the autopilot to bring her in, allowing me to make the little corrections. Once you get to about 1-2 miles, take over the control, but still be very gentle with her. If you don't like the setup, go around. But, this is the way I bring her in when I fly her.

Quote Originally Posted by il88pp View Post
    The c17 is a very big aircraft. Make sure the aircraft is not full of fuel.

You can also reduce the payload (cargo). The C17 is a cargo aircraft that can carry huge loads. (same menu: Aircraft--fuel and payload.)
    Like start shoving stuff out the back door, including the overweight co-pilot ! :-)
    (we don't need these steekin' tanks )

Seriously though, Thanks for the helpful instruction. It made all the difference. I have landed it 3 times since factoring the weight.
    I suspect once I start carrying heavy cargo, things will get complicated again, but I now know how to be within parameters.
    All I ask is a fightin' chance :-)

Have a great day.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwaffler View Post
    Getting near the airport at about 5 miles, add some more flaps, drop you speed to be about 135-140kts, and keep your eyes on the PAPI lights on the runway. Never let your speed drop below 130.

That - is exactly what I was looking for.

So, it can go that slow then. Another very helpful person pointed out to me that I couldn't land it full of fuel, which was exactly what I was doing. I was having to run it 250 knots just to get to the runway on descent which was causing havoc. I have since gotten my weights under and landed it 3 times. However, I did so at around 180 knots. Given my prior experiences (nose in the dirt a mile out) I have been reticent to try to slow her down too much. But I will now !
    I got other advice to go study my V and Vref's. Well, I sure will, but my guess is.. that will translate in to what you just told me.

I'm going to take her out to Kelly, or Travis tonight. Some place with big runways and work on it til I get it right.
    Thanks again.

Got to Edwards AFB. It's flat (desert) and you can use GPS to hand fly it in/out. I believe you don't use pitch trim (...180 kts). If you use + pitch trim you can reduce your speed and still be able to fly level (but descending). I know... not intuiative..but once you learn to use pitch trim you will wonder WHY nobody told you sooner. Get a panel that shows the pitch trim number (1.00, 3.00, 4.00, etc) so you can get an idea what '+1.00' versus what '+4.00' does. One example of vital use of pitch trim is carrier landings of the F-18. If the C-17 is real sensitive to inputs the pitch trim will allow you to practically let go of your controler (joystick/yoke) as you approach runway. You won't be pulling-then-pushing joy to where you are all over the place. Stay calm, use pitch trim, let it settle on runway, etc. Do it again.
    Chuck B
    Napamule
    i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D. FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast