ATC says - resume your own navigation

Hi, What does that mean exactly?

I have noticed that ATC is specific about what they expect during IFR flights.

Thus, to my way of thinking, that directive is a bit out of character.

Have they released me back into the wild ? What am I now free to do?

Could I, for example, land somewhere, eat lunch, then get on back up there in an hour or so ?

--John

When you initially file a flight plan, you must be prepared to do the navigation for the flight you've planned. When ATC has any variations or want you to do something specific, they give you instructions. But once they no longer need you to follow their restrictions/variations/whatever, they then want you to go back to doing your own navigation according to the flight plan and any clearances you've received, thus "Resume own navigation" meaning they're not telling you where to go any more -- it's up to you.

Not at all -- it's used a lot in the real world of aviation.

Have they released me back into the wild ?

They have released you to now do your own navigation according to the flight plan you've filed -- they're just not going to "hold your hand" any more at this time.

Could I, for example, land somewhere, eat lunch, then get on back up there in an hour or so ?

Is that part of the flight plan you filed? If not, then you'd have to cancel IFR then choose what you want to do.

Don't over complicate this. This directive is normally given only after you've been given directions (heading/altitudes/speeds/whatever) for some ATC purpose and their purpose has now been achieved (probably keeping some traffic separated) and so you go back to navigating by yourself according to the flight plan. You're still obligated to follow whatever clearances you've been issued, whether it was "cleared as filed" or "cleared direct to ...whatever... " or such, but without step-by-step from ATC.

Hope this clears it up for you.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

Have they released me back into the wild? What am I now free to do?

Could I, for example, land somewhere, eat lunch, then get on back up there in an hour or so?

--John

ATC is simple. In real life and in the sim.

If you fail to respond you will (eventually) be told you're on your own.

You can restart your flight plan, continue autonomously, or land.

You are the pilot. YOU choose...

What I have done in the past and have heard that others do it, while flying IFR with autopilot engaged, is to switch from NAV to GPS after the call to "resume own navigation". Your route is in the GPS and the A/P will follow it. When ATC gives another instruction, just switch back to NAV.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Have they released me back into the wild ? What am I now free to do?

--John

I've only filed IFR a few times, and in areas with little traffic. What I remember is "resume own navigation" usually comes with a direction to the airport as I'm some distance up to twenty miles out. Oh, sometimes the airport's frequency is given along with permission to change frequency.

'Glichy' controls or switches and don't want to pay for new ones? Read on... You can bring a controller back to life by exercising it through it's full range of motion or from maximum to minimum and back again 50 times. I had a Logitech joystick that gave left rudder without touching it but turning it 50X fixed it.

What I have done in the past and have heard that others do it, while flying IFR with autopilot engaged, is to switch from NAV to GPS after the call to "resume own navigation". Your route is in the GPS and the A/P will follow it. When ATC gives another instruction, just switch back to NAV.

A typical `non- pilot` answer, if I may say so...

A real pilot would re-apply the atc-expected navigation, with ATC control.

A real pilot would immediately question why he or she has `lost` ATC control and what needs be done to get it back. And do it.

The only time you would switch to `resume own navigation` is for unplanned diversion from the approved route - otherwise, why change it?

Exceptions do exist, as Real Pilots will attest.

The only time you would switch to `resume own navigation` is for unplanned diversion from the approved route - otherwise, why change it?

To perhaps clarify this a bit -- ATC only gives you 'resume own navigation' when they have given you specific temporary changes (the unplanned diversion), such as, "34C fly heading 340 to BJC, then turn right to 080." Then sometime, perhaps after more changes, they'll say, "34C resume own navigation." Their changes could be for traffic avoidance or some other purpose for which they need you to do the change(s).

And, like mallcott, I wonder why you'd specify, "while flying IFR with autopilot engaged, is to switch from NAV to GPS after the call to 'resume own navigation'" given that the original navigation might have been via VOR or NDB, for example. That's locking in your thought to one way to do things which, though it may be desirable in this situation, may not always be the best way, or even a viable way.

A real pilot would immediately question why he or she has `lost` ATC control and what needs be done to get it back. And do it.

I'm curious where the "lost ATC control" came in. Did someone post something I missed?

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

To perhaps clarify this a bit -- ATC only gives you 'resume own navigation' when they have given you specific temporary changes (the unplanned diversion), such as, "34C fly heading 340 to BJC, then turn right to 080." Then sometime, perhaps after more changes, they'll say, "34C resume own navigation." Their changes could be for traffic avoidance or some other purpose for which they need you to do the change(s).

And, like mallcott, I wonder why you'd specify, "while flying IFR with autopilot engaged, is to switch from NAV to GPS after the call to 'resume own navigation'" given that the original navigation might have been via VOR or NDB, for example. That's locking in your thought to one way to do things which, though it may be desirable in this situation, may not always be the best way, or even a viable way.

I'm curious where the "lost ATC control" came in. Did someone post something I missed?

First line of the OE post, the original header:

Rebrecs is NOT a pilot, at least I hope not, so any advice is likely a bit sophisticated.

Restarting the flight plan is the way to go.

I'd suggest anyone interested in the answer to the original question stop reading after message #2, which answers the question quite nicely, with the topic going off track after...

Brain tumor?

'Glichy' controls or switches and don't want to pay for new ones? Read on... You can bring a controller back to life by exercising it through it's full range of motion or from maximum to minimum and back again 50 times. I had a Logitech joystick that gave left rudder without touching it but turning it 50X fixed it.

• 3 weeks later...
When you initially file a flight plan, you must be prepared to do the navigation for the flight you've planned. When ATC has any variations or want you to do something specific, they give you instructions. But once they no longer need you to follow their restrictions/variations/whatever, they then want you to go back to doing your own navigation according to the flight plan and any clearances you've received, thus "Resume own navigation" meaning they're not telling you where to go any more -- it's up to you.

Not at all -- it's used a lot in the real world of aviation.

They have released you to now do your own navigation according to the flight plan you've filed -- they're just not going to "hold your hand" any more at this time.

Is that part of the flight plan you filed? If not, then you'd have to cancel IFR then choose what you want to do.

Don't over complicate this. This directive is normally given only after you've been given directions (heading/altitudes/speeds/whatever) for some ATC purpose and their purpose has now been achieved (probably keeping some traffic separated) and so you go back to navigating by yourself according to the flight plan. You're still obligated to follow whatever clearances you've been issued, whether it was "cleared as filed" or "cleared direct to ...whatever... " or such, but without step-by-step from ATC.

Hope this clears it up for you.

While I agree with this notorious "answer two", material on the web (for USA) actually says different:

RON.png

Lemme see if adding the image worked...and here is the link to the Glossary:

https://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/publications/media/pcg_4-03-14.pdf

This looks useful as well:

https://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/publications/atpubs/aim_html/index.html

https://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/publications/atpubs/aim_html/chap_4.html

Sean

Notorious? You make it sound criminal.

Certainly what you show in the picture is correct, and will normally be where you will hear that, but on those (perhaps rare) occasions when they give you other directions (especially in FS) AND fail to end it with "as filed" (if IFR), then they'll use that or "proceed on course," which I've never heard from the FS version of ATC. There ARE occasions in the real world when ATC will say something that's not "pre-programmed" by the book, though they normally mostly stick to the book for standardization and to avoid misunderstandings.

But the main point was not to repeat the FAA's statement, but to try to help the OP to understand its use, and that its use is not "a bit out of character."

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Certainly what you show in the picture is correct, and will normally be where you will hear that, but on those (perhaps rare) occasions when they give you other directions (especially in FS) AND fail to end it with "as filed" (if IFR), then they'll use that or "proceed on course," which I've never heard from the FS version of ATC. There ARE occasions in the real world when ATC will say something that's not "pre-programmed" by the book, though they normally mostly stick to the book for standardization and to avoid misunderstandings.

But the main point was not to repeat the FAA's statement, but to try to help the OP to understand its use, and that its use is not "a bit out of character."

Well, at least he didn't accuse you of having a brain tumor! :rolleyes:

Well, at least he didn't accuse you of having a brain tumor! :rolleyes:

I didn't accuse, the question mark turned it into a question.

You mean like in a sexy courthouse drama kind of way?

My main mistake was not realizing this was "real world aviation", which I have no authority to speak about. OTOH, if OP is IFR rated, why didn't he know the manual I found that in? From another country - that would be a good reason. Those manuals are long and tedious. There was a time during my "total realism" phase where I imagined myself hitting the books and trying to be Son of Bach, who knows ceconite and 10,000 other things about a/c and flying. Sadly, it never happened, but at least I had fun.

For me, one subject of tremendous interest is to know the differences between what I fly, FS X SE and RL. But also for the other sims. I like the forum to be like a conversation, to be alive because the point of replies can change as the threads grow.

Nobody likes to be called irrelevant, I'd be quick to point out that relevant questions often go unanswered here. Twitter is the same, I've learned not to ask questions there except for people I know who like me.

The last IFR flight I did, KMHV to 99CL was to an uncontrolled field, and maybe when ATC was terminated, I was given the direction and distance to the airport along with the frequency. I can't remember if I was told to report airport in sight and then given frequency change approved, but it seems like an interesting enough proceedure that the 14 year old FS X might be doing "wrong".

Here is an instructional video showing that even though I'm very out of practice, I'm still the "number one pilot":

I didn't accuse, the question mark turned it into a question.

EXAMPLE: Stupid? I just turned it into a question. I would be more careful what I post while quoting the owner of this site!

While I agree with this notorious "answer two", material on the web (for USA) actually says different:

And where is the question mark in the above quote?

OTOH, if OP is IFR rated, why didn't he know the manual I found that in?

Perhaps because I didn't actually go look it up in a manual? Sure I've read that manual, and many more. And from real world experience I know that the phrase "Resume own navigation" isn't completely limited to ending radar vectors, though the other uses are relatively rare.

But more importantly, I'll quote what I said above:

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

And where is the question mark in the above quote?

Perhaps because I didn't actually go look it up in a manual? Sure I've read that manual, and many more. And from real world experience I know that the phrase "Resume own navigation" isn't completely limited to ending radar vectors, though the other uses are relatively rare.

But more importantly, I'll quote what I said above:

I deal with that statement throughout the UK and in this most complex aerospace it is often use when negotiating a path through airways. It is therefore very much `in character` in my part of the world, save for during the recent pandemic!

EXAMPLE: Stupid? I just turned it into a question. I would be more careful what I post while quoting the owner of this site!

Yes, Mr. Zippy, how careless of me to forget that polite manners are more important depending on who you are talking to. Ah, but since you aren't the owner, but you shouted (caps), scolded, and used an exclamation point, interesting questions arise concerning how to answer... [grin]

• 3 weeks later...

Flying to visit the Diamond factory(?) in Germany(?) or Austria(?); difficulty obtaining IFR clearance because destination airport is VFR only. Pilot stated this would not be a problem in the USA.

THEY WON'T LET US LAND - DA62 & "My First Time"

236,076 views•Mar 2, 2018

Matt Guthmiller

169K subscribers

We're running late, the airport closes at sunset, and we can't even file a flight plan. Stall the Diamond DA62 and tour the factory before a night on the town in Vienna.

Stall the Diamond DA62 and tour the factory before a night on the town in Vienna.

Are you actually suggesting that the DA62 should be hangared, or at least parked? I don't think you really mean stall the airplane, a totally different meaning in aviation.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

For us in Australia; ATC will say something along the lines of “XXX, you’re BRG/DIST from a certain location, resume on navigation” or “resume own navigation, track DCT to XXX”.

They will never just kick you out saying you’re on your own when on an IFR plan. They’ll send you to a point on your flight plan, and you pick it up from there. You don’t “restart” your plan, or just simply press GPS/NAV. The vectors they’ve sent you on may have bypassed several points on your plan...

Cheers,

Strikey

Embraer E190 Driver